1 2 3 4 ... 6
GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
8/2/23 4:07 p.m.
DrBoost said:

If you don't mind, what did you pay for it?

Truck set me back $4500

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
8/2/23 4:11 p.m.

In reply to GrayWolf :

Thanks. I've always wanted one, even though I've ridden in them and my butt is still flat from the experience lol.  

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
8/2/23 4:52 p.m.

Me too, I remember watching Sean Connery make one fly through San Francisco in The Rock when I little which is also funny once you drive one and realize they go 0-60 sometime around Christmas. Then I grew up but not really and drove them into, over and through stuff for work and they got added to the will have my own one day list.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/23 1:19 p.m.
GrayWolf said:

Me too, I remember watching Sean Connery make one fly through San Francisco in The Rock when I little which is also funny once you drive one and realize they go 0-60 sometime around Christmas. Then I grew up but not really and drove them into, over and through stuff for work and they got added to the will have my own one day list.

They can be made fast.  Well,  faster.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
8/3/23 7:46 p.m.

Donor acquired 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/23 8:19 p.m.
This is far and away the most well behaved, pleasure to work on thing i've ever taken apart. Thus far it's been a total of 3 sockets, a screwdriver and pair of pliers to strip it down to get the motor ready 

All alone due to "reasons" and with the baddies closing in, my brother in law had to fix one in Iraq.  He said it was the single most stressful thing he ever did.  He still hates these with a passion.  

I on the other hand, think they look exceptionally cool and have always wanted one.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/3/23 8:24 p.m.
preach said:

About 15 years ago I helped put a roll cage in a civ one. It was a serious 'cage for sure. 

My wife wants one of these or a duce and a half.

You married well.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/3/23 8:25 p.m.
A 401 CJ said:
This is far and away the most well behaved, pleasure to work on thing i've ever taken apart. Thus far it's been a total of 3 sockets, a screwdriver and pair of pliers to strip it down to get the motor ready 

All alone due to "reasons" and with the baddies closing in, my brother in law had to fix one in Iraq.  He said it was the single most stressful thing he ever did.  He still hates these with a passion.  

I on the other hand, think they look exceptionally cool and have always wanted one.

I have a friend who had to drive them as part of a short lived career move.  He said that their main skill was getting stuck so you had to wait until someone with a 2 1/2 or 5 ton truck could get you unstuck.

I think they'd be cool as a tow rig because, like a mouse or a rat or a cat, anything the "head" can fit through, the rest can fit through.  I have driven car trailers narrower than a HMMWV/H1.

One thing I learned while building that H1 I posted above, is that all of the parts suppliers emphatically state that components meant for an H1 will NOT work on a HMMWV.  I guess everything in a HMMWV is designed so the thing can be completely submerged and still work just fine.  You were supposed to be able to cross rivers on the bottom with a snorkel for the engine and scuba gear for the occupants.  The trans and transfercase and diffs and portal axles and fuel tanks all have their vents tied in to the air cleaner, even on an H1, but the H1 doesn't have waterproof gauges and switches in the cabin.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
8/4/23 5:15 p.m.

So, this car was bought from an auction a couple years ago and never registered the guy dropped it off at a shop and refused to pay the bill so he called one day and said F it just keep the car. So currently it's sans title so I was just going to pull the motor and cut the rest up with a sawzall and scrap it but my mom is smitten with this thing so i'm going to see if I can get a title for it and if so then it will be hers, if not back to the sawzall thing.

untchabl
untchabl HalfDork
8/5/23 5:39 a.m.

I would love to see something ridiculous swapped into the Benz and it get turned into a Lemons racer...not sure why but that was my first thought when I saw it was going to be a drivetrain donor for the HMMWV.

mfennell
mfennell HalfDork
8/5/23 6:10 a.m.

In reply to GrayWolf :

My initial reaction was that the MB was way too nice to cut up but that makes a lot more sense.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
8/20/23 1:19 p.m.

Changes of plans 

Twin Turbo V12 HMMWV

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
8/20/23 2:08 p.m.
GrayWolf said:

Changes of plans 

Twin Turbo V12 HMMWV

If you can get this running, you will set a new standard for over the top excess. I can't wait to see the results.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
9/11/23 5:54 p.m.

Back on task, let's do the thing 

Dropped it first shot and didn't miss any grounds....so go me

Secondly the amount of fluid that came out of this contraption is hilarious 

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/11/23 6:02 p.m.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/11/23 6:26 p.m.

I like where this is going, the favorite car of crackpot dictators gives its heart to its liberator.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
9/14/23 8:16 p.m.

This is not the most visually appealing engine in my opinion, honestly I don't know how much of this stuff I can take off but it shall be addressed

Subframe is back in the car to make it moves me so I can move on to its next phase of life

Transmission harness extraction was as involved as the engine extraction

After swimming through these harnesses I ended up with 5 wayward wires

They all went into the chassis harness so hopefully I don't need to chase them into a connector and I can just 86 them

So we have a downstream O2 power wire....we don't need those where we're going

2 CAN wires and 2 12v power wires, snip snip it is

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
9/23/23 4:39 p.m.

Garage reset, S Class if off to its next life

Universal LS swap brackets, not saying it's going to work....but i'll make it work 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/25/23 8:33 a.m.

So my m275 suggestion had some merit ha

I just realized I follow you on IG lol

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
9/25/23 2:02 p.m.

I sure like where this is going!

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
9/30/23 8:10 p.m.

Got the motor stripped and dry ice blasted

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
10/29/23 5:03 p.m.

Back on task

County is being a pain in the ass about the CO for the new shop and i'm ready to get to it so back to the other garage 

One twin turbo V12 Hummer coming up 

Didn't even fight 

Just eyeballing everything doesn't look like there are any clearance issues anywhere, the Merc trans mount even drops onto the stock hummer crossmember.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD New Reader
10/29/23 5:11 p.m.

If you get hung up anywhere with chassis or body electrical problems I have a stockpile of parts, factory service manuals,  and other random crap.  I feel like I'm one of the few people left that worked on the civilian H1s when they were new that still works on them.....everyone else just refuses to touch them.

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
10/29/23 5:15 p.m.

In reply to RonnieFnD :

Awesome man thanks 

GrayWolf
GrayWolf New Reader
11/8/23 8:07 p.m.

Red because race car...

....race Hummer?

yea, red because race Hummer

Got 65 AMG manifolds and ported them