Yokohama Advan 200tw tire test: AD09, A052, A055 and A005

Andy
By Andy Hollis
Jun 24, 2024 | Tire Test, Yokohama, A052, A005, A055, AD09 | Posted in Features | From the May 2024 issue | Never miss an article

Photography Credit: Anna Overman

Once upon a time, we had race tires and we had street tires, and all seemed right and easy with the world. Today, well, we have a number of options. So. Many. Options.

Want a street-capable tire that consistently delivers lots of quick laps over a long period? Choose from the Endurance 200 class of tire. Want to win an autocross …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 59 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Already a member?

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Tire Test, Yokohama, A052, A005, A055 and AD09 articles.
Comments
Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
3/22/24 9:17 a.m.

I anticipate buying a car in a few months that will serve as my motorsport platform for the foreseeable future.  I plan to drive it to local events though I may trailer it to tracks that are further away. I've been reading the GRM Ultimate Track Tire Guide for a while but I'm still not sure what tire I'd like to run, at least initially. Any recommendations?

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
3/22/24 10:36 a.m.

Hankook RS-4 is what we use for an endurance tire but it also makes an excellent track day tire. Consistent over the lifespan and last far longer than I would have believed. For the money it's pretty decent and seems better and cheaper than the Toyo R888R (which I also quite like). I tried a set of Federal ZM-201M and did NOT like them. Took forever to warm up (no grip cold) and never got great grip out of them... of the flip side, they last forever.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/22/24 10:47 a.m.

Are you competing?  If so, what class/org?

If not, how important is pace versus longevity?

Do you care about wet performance either on the street or track?

Is it typically cold or hot where you run?

The answers to these question, along with the chart in the Guide, will narrow down the choices.

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
3/22/24 1:28 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

Are you competing?  If so, what class/org?

If not, how important is pace versus longevity?

Do you care about wet performance either on the street or track?

Is it typically cold or hot where you run?

I expect to compete in some time attack/time trial events but that will not be the car's primary purpose.  Initially longevity may be more important but as I develop the car outright pace will take priority. The car will likely never see wet weather so only dry performance is a consideration. I live in Michigan.  It will be cooler at the beginning and ends of the season.  Part of the choice will be cost and ease of getting the tires.

Msterbee
Msterbee Reader
3/22/24 1:28 p.m.
QuikMcshifterson said:

Thanks!

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
3/25/24 10:53 a.m.

Looking at the first chart, it's amazing how much weight savings a racing slick offers over an Endurance 200. Even Endurance 200 vs. Super 200.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
3/25/24 1:50 p.m.
J.A. Ackley said:

When you don't have to worry so much about real-world puncture resistance or pot-holes, you can leave a lot of steel out of a tire.

You can thank Firestone and the Ford Exploder crisis for that.

And if you think these slicks are light, next time you are at an IMSA race, go to the Michelin tent and pick up one of their "Confidential" slicks.  Super high-tech internals like Kevlar for even lighter weight.  All that comes at a cost, though.

pmulry
pmulry New Reader
3/26/24 9:36 a.m.

Andy, question for you to see if I'm evaluating the data correctly.

Looking at the tread pattern, the Conti ExtremeContact Force would appear to be more dry-fast focused than the Conti Extreme Contact Sport (or Sport 02). But the chart would seem to indicate that the Sport is equally fast in the dry while faster in the wet, but wears more rapidly. Given the more rapid wear and better wet performance of the Sport, my gut says that the Force is about the same dry performance because of the tread shape despite the harder compound - fair conclusion?

I'm really just surprised that the Force isn't markedly faster in the dry but I guess that's the trade off for longer wear. Thx.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
3/26/24 12:20 p.m.

For our first race in 3 years I just bought the Maxxis VR1s. We loved the RS4s but none were available in our size and the last tire test said the VR1 was a comparable tire. I'm very interested to see how they do.

My favorite Enduro tire was the Rival and I'm sad it's no longer a thing. More grip than the others and lasted just long enough we could do a 14.5 hour race on 6.

Sbd1
Sbd1 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/24/24 1:31 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

Know for the real test -R7 vs A055 vs new A005.  And also Hoosier A7,  A005 vs Pirelli Slick too! thanks Andy.    I have friends that run the run the A7 to take an early lead in sprint racing with the other drivers in Pirelli's.  I like your expanding testing to TT testing as well.

You'll need to log in to post.

9aGSR2o99AdMaAMlaMdCTXmfOYJTwoT5uBDXobiJ40ZiHKHLDLf2WvSCWczsXaS0