White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/10/10 10:44 a.m.

What?! I just got this car!!! Well, yeah, but the new acquisition (91 Sentra SE-R) means I now have too many cars, so the Saturn's got to go. Here's the scoop.

1994 Saturn SW2, 5-speed manual 192k miles, K&N style air filter on stock intake hose, Thrush muffler on stock exhaust, VMS150 short shifter, Modified headlights for simultaneous low/high beam operation, Stock AM/FM cassette with some kind of aftermarket speakers (I don't know what, I've never removed the interior panels to find out), Stock 15" steel wheels with Hakka 10 studded snow tires (I have the unmounted set of all-seasons the car came with). Inspected through the end of December 2010.

Work done on the car since I've had it: New rear struts, New rear brake pads, rotors (yes, 4 wheel discs), and right brake line (all steel brake lines were replaced by the previous owner a year or two ago), New left rear parking brake cable New torque axis mount, New upper radiator hose.

Known issues: ABS stopped working a couple of months ago (brakes themselves work fine). Gas gauge is wildly inaccurate under 1/2 tank - I use the trip odometer and refill at 250 miles. Valve cover gasket leaks slightly. Small hole in downpipe, easily welded. Underside is a bit rusty, including front subframe.

I'm probably forgetting things - I'll update as I remember them. I will remove the ham radio and its antenna on the left rear window. $900/bo.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/10 10:50 a.m.

Awesome deal, too bad it says ME not MI

WilberM3
WilberM3 New Reader
3/10/10 10:57 a.m.

how does a 1st gen drive compared to say a '99? my bro had a 99 sl and its got me thinking about a cheap to run commuter but ive always liked the 1st gen wagon best, plus i'm north of boston.

how bad is the rust underneath? do you have any pics for reference? hows the oil consumption?

klipless
klipless New Reader
3/10/10 11:02 a.m.
John Brown wrote: Awesome deal, too bad it says ME not MI

My sentiments exactly. Although I had a hunch before I checked. I don't know of many cars running studs in the LoPen.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
3/10/10 11:25 a.m.

Dang, Hakkas on a Saturn, I bet it is killer in the snow.

I would be all over it if I were in a position to grab it.

bump for a great car.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/10/10 11:25 a.m.

My dad had one that was almost identical, same model, year and color. Just shy of 200k and still on the original clutch, he declared that the car would never die and passed it along to my son - who proved him wrong within a couple of months.

klipless
klipless New Reader
3/10/10 12:15 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: who proved him wrong within a couple of months.

So, what went kaput?

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/10/10 2:04 p.m.

I've had this 94, a 95 SC2, and two 96 SL2s (one quite modified, one mostly stock). All S series cars from 1991-2002 are essentially the same underneath. Yeah, there are differences year to year, but if you've driven one you've driven them all. Only major difference is between the 1 (SOHC) and 2 (DOHC) models.

There is some rust at the bottom of the rear door arches. EVERY S series Saturn I've seen has it, except the coupes and they probably have it in the same place, just less visible. The rear subframe has surface rust, but it's fine. The front subframe, you'll need to keep an eye on.

Driver's side

Passenger side

It's still structurally sound. My local mechanic thinks it's already been welded up once. It is possible to replace the subframe without pulling the engine. Instructions here. This is a worst case scenario - it passed inspection just 3 months ago.

Oil consumption - yeah, all Saturns do it. This one takes about a quart between oil changes.

klipless
klipless New Reader
3/10/10 2:44 p.m.
White_and_Nerdy wrote: Passenger side

Huh, go figure. I've never had to work on these, which explains why I never knew that these used the stab bar as a LCA link. Come to think of it, didn't the Yugo use the same config?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/10/10 5:03 p.m.

I had a dream that I set a LSR record in one of those, something about amazing stock aerodynamics. Would prefer dreams about Salma Hayek, but intrigued at the thought anyway.

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/10/10 5:43 p.m.

How about Salma Hayek setting a land speed record in a twin engine turbo 94 SW2?

I'll be in my bunk...

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/13/10 7:13 a.m.

Anyone? Bueller? It's the ultimate sleeper... I've removed the ham radio and antenna, so it's ready to go right now. (I did this for a potential buyer, actually, but he wouldn't give me enough for the car...)

White_and_Nerdy
White_and_Nerdy Reader
3/16/10 5:43 p.m.

SOLD!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DkWJxG4ZKOVrClmoKyGislLXmDXi8qmSfqN2UfCJmFPYwNIt92KFIltwZ80Q6H46