1 ... 7 8 9 10 11
GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
1/31/18 12:25 p.m.

Paul Who Got the Fiero , Inquiring Minds and all, they aren't posting anything on Gafiero.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/31/18 12:51 p.m.
SVreX said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

That's a pretty nice write up they gave you for a mid pack finish. 

You're right, and I appreciate it to this day.

I got boned pretty bad in the concours.  Look how clean that thing is and it was a worn out write off (rear ended) when I got it. Maybe they felt bad for me cheeky

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/31/18 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

Sometimes you have to bring a knife to a gunfight to show off how awesome your knife is. 3x stock horsepower got my attention. Great job. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/31/18 2:56 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Suprf1y :

Sometimes you have to bring a knife to a gunfight to show off how awesome your knife is. 3x stock horsepower got my attention. Great job. 

I think that was 3X stock boost level, not 3X stock horsepower. 

Still gets my attention. 

Stampie
1/31/18 2:59 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

That's what I get for reading on an empty stomach. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/31/18 4:49 p.m.

Because I spent so much time on the appearance I was rushed to get it working right. A month after the challenge I ran a 14.7 in the quarter. I still have it and haven't driven it since 2004

Stampie
1/31/18 4:52 p.m.

In reply to Suprf1y :

I think you need to bring it back. 

Suprf1y
Suprf1y PowerDork
1/31/18 8:30 p.m.

It's pretty safe to say that will happen at some point

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/1/18 12:56 p.m.

Did you know....

24.   ....that an engine sold through Chevrolet has powered every Drag winning car at the Challenge except one?   Pat Culkin's Dodge broke the string by winning the 2012 Drag event. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/1/18 12:58 p.m.

You guys need to offer some ideas on what you'd like to know.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/1/18 1:03 p.m.

Did you know...

25   ....the oldest car entered at the Challenge was Jon Haas's 1949 Chevrolet?  It showed up in 2007 and is still one of the all time favorites for anyone who saw it.  The car identified as a 1947 Coupe was actually a 1971 VW.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/1/18 1:15 p.m.

I wonder how the number of team members aligns with the performance of the cars. Thinking about it in rough terms as time/effort with respect to results. I suspect a bell curve of sorts, but do not know what number of team members will develop as the optimum.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/1/18 1:22 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

I wonder how the number of team members aligns with the performance of the cars. Thinking about it in rough terms as time/effort with respect to results. I suspect a bell curve of sorts, but do not know what number of team members will develop as the optimum.

More small teams have won the Challenge than large teams by a huge margin. $2014 winner was a one man effort (not minimizing the help of his brother at the event itself).  Ultimately, most of the best cars have come from the smallest teams and 1-4 team member teams have won the most overall, concour and drags  The top Auto-X teams on the other hand appear to be larger teams.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
2/1/18 1:42 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

What's the farthest distance a person has travel to compete in the challenge in a challenge vehicle?

What challenge Car has appeared the most times?

What are some of the most spectacular catastrophic failures?

Who are some of the more famous Challenger celebrity guest s?

Who has competed in the most challenges? Who has the longest uninterrupted entries?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/1/18 1:46 p.m.
stafford1500 said:

Also, there may have been some clerical issues tracking the "teams"- for some reason, our efforts are more listed personally to me, but I wanted to call us AROC Detroit, and there were 8 of us in 2002, and then 4 in 2003 and 2004.  Not sure what I did wrong on the application that it was missed.  I'd bet that there were others.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
2/1/18 4:36 p.m.

This Past year Saul Goode Racing had Me As A Hanger On,  and I was At My Best as "Reverse Gear". But don't Imagine My Self as Team Member, They Did Good Though Huh!.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/1/18 4:53 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

What challenge Car has appeared the most times?

That one is gonna be hard to track. 

For example, the Mumpkin was there 5 times, but under 3 different owners, and multiple different team names and appearances. 

It was once known as the "Husband and Wife Build", was owned by Mr Joshua, and appeared at the Challenge wearing a silver paint job.  It later came back as an orange car owned by Dyntorace, it then gained the fastback top and 787B livery returning owned by me. 

No one would know they are all the same car.

But, I'll throw it in the ring as a contender, with 5 Challenge appearances.  

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
2/1/18 6:14 p.m.

5 times is Special, And the Best Part of that Is I don't have to Claim to be "Sloppy Seconds" Any More On My FIRST appearance.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/1/18 6:39 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

How many times did Jonny Pruitt bring the Yugo?

Heck, how many times did the Omni come?  

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/1/18 7:48 p.m.
alfadriver said:

In reply to SVreX :

Jonny brought more than 1 Yugo. I think there were 3 different ones (plus he drove mine the year I brought a Yugo). I'm not sure.

I think the Omni may have him beat (but I don't know if it came 5 times)

I'm betting the Omni was brought the most times by the same team, but that the Mumpkin has more overall appearances. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/1/18 7:51 p.m.

... although Wreck Racing has several cars that have made many appearances. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
2/1/18 8:08 p.m.

I brought three cars last year...

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/1/18 8:10 p.m.
wheels777 said:

Did you know....

24.   ....that an engine sold through Chevrolet has powered every Drag winning car at the Challenge except one?   Pat Culkin's Dodge broke the string by winning the 2012 Drag event. 

Were there two separate 1986-1989 RX7 winners? If so I thought one was Ford powered and one Chevy powered.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/18 8:44 p.m.
SVreX said:
alfadriver said:

In reply to SVreX :

Jonny brought more than 1 Yugo. I think there were 3 different ones (plus he drove mine the year I brought a Yugo). I'm not sure.

I think the Omni may have him beat (but I don't know if it came 5 times)

I'm betting the Omni was brought the most times by the same team, but that the Mumpkin has more overall appearances. 

My Datsun was there in 2010(PO), 2015, 2016, 2017.  Finished DFL, 11, 8, 3.  It’s not coming back for 5.  I’m certainly not and I won’t sell it cheap enough to anyone else ever.  

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/2/18 3:12 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
wheels777 said:

Did you know....

Were there two separate 1986-1989 RX7 winners? If so I thought one was Ford powered and one Chevy powered.

You are correct for the overall - see DYK 10.  $2005 was Butts's RX-7 with Ford power and $2006 was DeFayette's RX-7 with Chevy power.  But a Ford powered vehicle has never won the Drag portion of the event - DYK 24.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fg5nVSSvHPLXuFKJRuIbv8C1QCYvP9aN6y71RRGDblE9iQAgiLRuRJAh5PVH0gil