1 2 3 ... 36
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/17/18 3:08 p.m.

For the $2019 Challenge I'm going to be organizing a group that has been named the Gastropods. This is the thread where we're going to talk about the group and invite people in. 

1. The point of this class is to create a place where cars and their builders that have to deal with some externalities outside the current Challenge rule set can play. The idea is to have real road cars that have a real $2000 budget. All cars must meet Challenge rules because this is happening at the Challenge. 

2. Anyone can play. Anyone. I'm going to make shirts and stickers and try and get the whole group to paddock close and see how many of us we can get to sit at one table at the banquet. This is about building community. 

3. Although everyone can be a Gastropod, if you want to win the snail, you need to fit into the rules. Which haven't been formalized. (We'll talk about that below) 

4. Why Gastropod? It's not about slow, it's about coming out of our shells to interact and build the community that we want to see at the non pointy end of the Challenge field. We might also be slow. 

Rough rules are as follows and will certainly change at least a bit: 
Regular cars. Interiors, lights, wipers, that sort of stuff. I want you to be able to drive me to Taco Bell if the drags rain out. 
True $2000 budget. We're not going to hit the recoup game hard. You spend money on it, you put it in the budget. This includes tires. Edit: normal challenge rules for tire costs. Four tires free in the budget. This was done to de-emphasize tire choice as much as possible and let us focus on the cars themselves. 
250TW and above for tires (EDIT: this was 300TW. Iy was changed to 250 to be more inclusive while still excluding the current crop of 200tw tires which was is it's intent). I want you to be able to sell the car to you niece at the end and have her be able to put 25k miles on them as she finishes high school. Only four tires for the event. 

Edit: We've added a tiny limited recoup capped at $200. To remain eligible for the Gastropod trophy, recoup $ can only be spent on: 

Hoses

Belts including timing

Electrical wear items, points cap/rotor plugs and wires. 

Gaskets necessary for the retention of fluids.

The idea behind this recoup rule is twofold. 1. It let's everyone focus a bit of money on making the cars more reliable. Broken cars suck. 2. It gives some practice with the act and accounting of recoup which is a vitally important part of eventually getting to the pointy end of the field. I know it's controversial, but let's roll with it and see how it works. 

That's pretty much it. I'll make some stickers, I'll make some shirts, I'll make some snail trophies for those that make it into the rules above. If you don't, that's ok, you can still hang, you'll just be fast. Use this thread to encourage and teach and help everyone make it to the event. I look forward to seeing everyone in Gainesville in 2019. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/17/18 3:21 p.m.

Do you need to drive it to the Challenge or can it be trailered, provided it does normal car stuff adequately well?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/17/18 3:26 p.m.

ok.... there are a crap ton of cars local to me under $1500. There's a tC with a popped engine for under a grand. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/17/18 3:28 p.m.

Sounds fun. Thank you. 

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/17/18 3:33 p.m.

My 2017 supercharged Miata (without the SM7s) would fit this category. So does any sub $2K Miata on the appropriate tires. This could be a fun group/class since I've seen things like a MINI Cooper, Fiat 500 and several Kia Rios in this price range. I like it.smiley

mazdeuce - Seth
10/17/18 3:34 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Do you need to drive it to the Challenge or can it be trailered, provided it does normal car stuff adequately well?

No driving requirements. Registering and insuring a car can cost more than trailering, as well as adding the potential complication of a half dozen high schoolers with a broken car and no way to get home. I 100% encourage anyone to load up their Challenge car, turn the key, and head to Gainesville,  that's my plan if I can fit another car into my fleet and stay married, but it's not a strict requirement of the class. We all know what street cars with wipers and lights and interiors are, so do that.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/17/18 3:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Sounds fun. Thank you. 

Thanks for your support. It's appreciated. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/17/18 3:39 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

I fully anticipate a bunch of Miatas. If it turns out that Miata is the answer to this, will anyone be super surprised? laugh

A Miata is a great car for anyone who has to use their "race car" as a real car during the rest of the week. Who among us would feel sad to drive by a high school and see a dozen Miatas with numbers on the side? No me. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 4:26 p.m.

Ok...I'll start of rules discussion.  Budget.  May I suggest ONLY related expense to be excluded are registration, transfer, title, tag, sales tax and insurance if you choose to so.

No ttrading parts, no recouping to add to budget.  Anything you attached to the car you purchased has to be listed for the price you paid for part or fair market value if it was donated and count towards the total budget.

Award 2 bonus points to your concourse score if you drive your hooptie from your home to event.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/17/18 4:33 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem :

I agree with two exceptions. 

1. Money found in the car can be deducted from your budget. You find $2.56 in change, you can spend $2.56 more. 

2. You can sell any super weird stuff you find in your car when you buy it, but only to other class members. Chess set? Sell it. Power tools? Sell them. Vintage nudie mags? Call Ovid_and_Flem. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
10/17/18 4:43 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

The Gastropod swap. meet may be highlight of 2019 challenge.devil

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/17/18 5:07 p.m.

How about +1 Concours point for driving to the event, and +1 for a back seat?

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/17/18 5:32 p.m.
bobzilla said:

ok.... there are a crap ton of cars local to me under $1500. There's a tC with a popped engine for under a grand. 

You probably mean Scion tC but I hope you mean Chrysler TC by Maserati! 

wae
wae SuperDork
10/17/18 5:42 p.m.

This makes me want to defer the rocker rust repair on the $1200 Miata until Winter 2019.  Nothing innovative about it, and it's very not fast, but that sounds like a good way to do the challenge again without having to get another hooptie.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/17/18 5:45 p.m.

I won't have the time to participate but I do have a DD modified Miata that'll qualify if anyone wants to invoke the Stampie Rule and borrow it.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk PowerDork
10/17/18 5:53 p.m.

Looking through Tire Rack for tires that qualify and that 300TW makes you use real street tires. I've got a set of Dunlops and BFGs that I use regularly on my Miata and both sets are 340TW. This could be a fun exercise.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/17/18 5:55 p.m.

Count me as a tentative in- mostly because I am reasonably certain the spare mx6 will still be in pieces for another 5 years. I can do semi reliable Corolla wagon on 300tw with decentish paint. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/17/18 6:01 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk :

Yeah, I've been doing the same.  Let me know if you find anything worthwhile.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/17/18 6:09 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

If I don’t finish my car in time I’ll take you up on that. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/18 6:21 p.m.

If I run 200tw on the front and 400tw on the rear that's a 300tw average right?

And fwd drifting would happen. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
10/17/18 6:25 p.m.

Of coarse, this means that you will have to make that toca bell run for him now with your car and everyone else.....lots of tocos for everyone....

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/17/18 6:26 p.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid :

Driftritos locos

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/17/18 6:34 p.m.

Can we request a 300+ treadwear test now in the magazine. It is kind of important. 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/17/18 6:48 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

I'm 99% certain the Datsun wagon was on 300tw tires. That car was fast. 

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Dork
10/17/18 6:49 p.m.

This is going to be good..

1 2 3 ... 36

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cAXqwMhA7RRGowT7RcHI0X6uHgXZJUFjkuKm9EKgZ6RL9nP7fK2FmXGSs43viI5A