10/17/21 2:30 p.m.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
10/17/21 2:32 p.m.

In reply to cruisermatt :

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/17/21 2:40 p.m.

We had several major issues last year that are now fixed.

1. We never had oil pressure from day one. That is now fixed. 20psi at idle 40psi at 6500rpm on the datalog. That is with completely mismatched rod/main bearings, rods, crank, journels etc, so we're fine with that. 
2. cooling system. The honda radiator and 10" fan was a huge mistake. The stock BMW radiator and fan work amazingly. We let it idle when it was really hot a few weeks ago and it sits right at 190. Fan comes on and brings it down to 185. 
3. transmission/converter. Our DIY rebuild and transbrake mod seems to be working really well. The new converter was out of a nitrous mustang 1/8th mile car and feels. incredible compared to the last-minute Summit "3500 stall" purchase from last year. 
4. ECU /tuning. Last year we had a stock GM truck ECU that we had no control over since none of us had HP Tuners. Earlier this year i got a smoking deal on a MS3 goldbox that is in the car now. I am no tuner but have been playing around with it and was able to get the car to run and it seems to be working good i guess. 
nice to not have to worry about blowing up an expensive engine due to lack of experience.

5. Fuel system. Last year we had a major hiccup around 5k rpm that we'd attributed to the lack of tuning, well it turns out it was the fuel pump wiring being inadequate. Yesterday we completely re did the fuel system and that seems to have fixed it from our light street testing. 
6. tires. The new 235 radials fit the car so much better then the 275's. Barely any rub and we put them on the wheels that came on the car so we don't have to budget anything. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/17/21 2:44 p.m.

This week's tasks before heading out are just  tracking down a slight misfire, and some sensor wiring bugs. Happy to not be rebuilding the engine the day before like last year.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/19/21 12:19 a.m.

Ugh. Of course. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/21 6:25 a.m.

Looks like you converted your roller lifter to a flat.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/19/21 8:08 a.m.

Bummer! Good luck getting it back together. I'd like to see this car's potential!

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/19/21 8:29 a.m.

We'll be there. Swapping cam out now. Looking like the $50 cam with the chewed up lobe was a bad choice. 
putting a stock 4.8/5.3/6.0 truck cam in. 
at least we get some budget back. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/19/21 8:49 a.m.

still gonna send it!

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/19/21 1:01 p.m.

Alright, we got a stock truck cam swapped in with another lifter and fresh oil this morning. Sounds healthy, just lame. 

golfduke
golfduke Dork
10/19/21 1:08 p.m.
cruisermatt said:

Alright, we got a stock truck cam swapped in with another lifter and fresh oil this morning. Sounds healthy, just lame. 

You mean you can hear anything over that gigantic turbo screaming!?  haha.  

This looks fun! 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/19/21 1:21 p.m.

In reply to golfduke :

It just sounds like a straight piped silverado now. 
Also funny how so many people say this turbo is giant

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/19/21 4:15 p.m.

The saga continues... went out to make a quick health check pull on the street, resulted in being towed back into the shop with the forklift. Engine completely seized. Last straw for this long block. 

We'll be there this weekend, in what car, who knows. 

Anyone want to buy a 2000lb caged roller with LS mounts? sad

Stampie
10/19/21 6:42 p.m.

Sorry to hear.  That CRX is still for sale I think.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/19/21 7:00 p.m.

Major bummer. I was looking forward to this one.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/19/21 8:32 p.m.

Don't count us out quite yet. We still have 48 hours or so and I'm self employed. laugh

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/19/21 10:41 p.m.

At least its only an hour to have this whole car apart. Its going to be way more annoying to pull the replacement donor tomorrow. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/20/21 8:33 a.m.

6 am. 

9:30 am (now)

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/20/21 8:36 a.m.

Obligatory body removal pic. Forklift is the MVP all the time. 
Also, everything else from the van donor has been sold already making this engine free laugh

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/20/21 8:44 a.m.

I regret that I have but one thumbs-up to give.

Stampie
10/20/21 8:59 a.m.

2500?  6 litter?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/20/21 9:08 a.m.

The last-minute thrash is strong with this team. I'm pulling for you guys. There's beer in my cooler tomorrow night with your name on it.

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/20/21 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

4.8 (4.great)

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
10/20/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

We are only 2 hrs away (orlando) so we go up early friday morning. Beer then. 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
10/20/21 10:49 a.m.

3 hours from start to motor piñata????  Unbelievable.  I love this

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nXKLDU26D8ijjT4TGWYgSCBplseYO4q7MQJH64uN7ANpkoEhYhkMtOhc1GwuS5j3