1 2
cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/30/22 11:01 p.m.

Weekly update. we are plugging away making steady progress. 

During the week I welded up the intake manifold and got the rear axle put together at my shop (ended up trading the narrowed explorer rear for a mustang 8.8 that will bolt in and save us a bunch of time). 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/30/22 11:04 p.m.

Friday morning we built the tube nose in about an hour. The 1-3/4 tubing is leftover from the cage kit that was used in the BMW, the lower tube was one of the door bars (nascar style triple door-bar), I just took the bends from 45 to 90 degrees. The smaller hoops stiffening the fenders are 3/4" EMT. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/30/22 11:11 p.m.

Today, we:

-Installed rear axle 

-Made tabs and braces for fender stiffeners 

-made lower and upper radiator mounts so that is all done 

-mounted fan to radiator using sweet captured rivet plates from Lockheed 

-extended t4 flange on exhaust manifold about 2" taller to help with compressor clearance and frame rail

-Built entire cold-side (still need to roll a few beads into tubing, tubing is all cut from old piping from when the BMW had an intercooler)

We got a TON  done today. Next up is driveshaft, exhaust and shifter and fuel system. Then wiring. 

Hopefully the details are appreciated. Like I said at the beginning, we really want this car to show off what we can build from a workmanship perspective for this event, the BMW was a break from our normal stuff and fun for awhile but all the hack on that car has really ended up causing more issues then fun in the long term. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/30/22 11:17 p.m.

Detail on lower fender brace. This was hard to get a good pic of with the lighting.  3/8" stainless tube (from Siemens dump), crimped flat on one end and drilled, other end has nut welded to it. Tab is recycled original mustang stiffener. 

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/31/22 8:18 a.m.

Enjoying the updates. Did you use a tig welder to do the intake? Or a mig setup? 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/31/22 8:33 a.m.

So good. I love seeing a 2JZ done on the cheap. I love how the TB is literally just welded to the intake lol

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/31/22 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Somebeach (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks, that is all TIG

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
1/31/22 9:08 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Thanks. 
Hopefully that wasn't a mistake, the GM casting welds horrible even when blasted clean, i would not do that again. 
the Toyota lower plenum welds beautifully though

maschinenbau
1/31/22 9:52 a.m.

In reply to cruisermatt :

Good to know for when I eventually, finally, build my 2JZ hot rod properly.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/22 1:07 p.m.

I see you're retaining the four link rear suspension. I'm sure you know their reputation, I'm curious to see how you set it up. 
Great fun following this, can't wait to see it!

Edit: next year's special class suggestion: in line six!

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
3/19/22 12:12 p.m.

Couple updates. work has been a little slow on this, Dale was in a mega wreck that completely totaled his diesel swapped 4Runner (RIP) early February, fortunately he is fine, and I have been completely slammed with work at my Land Cruiser business and had to deal with my F350 getting stolen/recovered as well. 
we have found some time here and there to tinker with the mustang though!

The rear axle is in and the car is pretty much a roller again, charge pipe/compressor, radiator outlets, BOV, are all welded, exhaust is started, once exhaust is done powertrain will come out to final weld/paint everything. 

intercooler from the BMW with a hole and big dent in it:

Perfect spot for a BOV 

radiator outlets on the 240sx radiator were way too small, so replaced  them with cut down LS water necks (have a bucket of dozens of these from so many water pumps I've replaced on customer swap projects)

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
3/19/22 12:20 p.m.

During the week I've been working on the fuel injector setup at my dad's shop. Twelve decap-ed LS truck injectors (~75-80lb/hr each), should give us roughly 150-160lb/hr per cyl worth of injector, more then enough for our power goals current and future. Hopefully this works out and is not a giant waste of time :)

photo dump:

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
4/20/22 9:40 p.m.

I believe I shall subscribe to these shenanigans. 

Beautiful welds, by the way. You need a "Danger to Manifold" sticker for the dash; ought to be worth a few concours points...

maschinenbau
4/21/22 8:32 a.m.

Damn this is some serious custom fab!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZLu3ZK7no20lwVZVukOq7SUnLWHnjA5g2frH9HuHkIOLXPO5yDDlE9sygNrkOfjG