SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/10 1:46 p.m.

Needed for possible StarQuest project. Let me know.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/14/10 4:26 p.m.

I think I have 1-2 that have been on the shelf for ever. Both are un tested

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera New Reader
9/14/10 4:39 p.m.

After the 6AL flamed out in my MGA I called MSD for repair. As I recall, they said they didn't offer repair, but they did have refurbed units. I can't remember if I had to send my dead one in to get the cheap price, but the one they sent looked brand new and was around $75. Maybe it's common knowledge, but I'd never heard of it. That was about five years ago so YMMV. Might be something to look into.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/14/10 5:20 p.m.

Is there a way too bench test these things with a multy meter?

Apis_Mellifera
Apis_Mellifera New Reader
9/14/10 6:06 p.m.

You can, but you need a coil and 12vdc.

I found this on the MSD site:

"The way to test the MSD Unit, you will disconnect the white wire from the yellow on the timing control. Disconnect the coil wire at the distributor cap and lay 1/4 from ground, this is where it will spark. Turn the ignition key to the "ON" position, do not crank, make sure there is 12 volts at the small red wire of MSD. Take the white wire of the MSD 6 Unit and touch and release from ground, every time you touch and release from ground it will spark at the coil wire. If you do not get a spark, swap the coil with a different coil, it doesn't have to be new, as long as it is a good working coil. Do the same test, if you get a spark then it was a bad coil, if you still do not get a spark then you know it is a bad MSD unit, but double check that all connections are good and tight."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OrV6ImMVDudQyDBEgetrtiE4w0Kk3Ff1V0wyFs168A9mAgWL3OVBdifihoqqLmIs