BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UltraDork
12/18/21 11:55 p.m.

So I have this Insight sitting around.  I paid $200 for it from a forum member who got it from another forum member. 

I have all sorts of crazy pie in the sky ideas about doing wicked racecar things with it, some sort of swap or mid engine conversion of awesomeness. It seems silly to do attempt something like that without an end goal, and naturally a $2000 Challenge racer seems like a perfect goal for something like that. However, in the face of reality, I just don't see myself being able to take the time to actually go compete at the event anytime soon.  (My seasonal work schedule just happens to peak towards the end of October)

Anyway, brainstorming and figuring out how to build something cool over the next couple years sounds like a lot of fun, and even more fun to do with some other like minded people. I'd be all about trying to build something and watching from afar as someone else took it to compete.

Alternatively, I'll probably just eventually offer it up in the for sale section to see if anyone else here wants to haul it away.  I was going to see if I could get it running to have a cheap run around town beater, but I already have one of those.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/19/21 9:31 a.m.

A K-swapped Insight would be an entertaining little car.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/21 10:27 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

A K-swapped Insight would be an entertaining little car.

In fact, I think there was one at the challenge this year!

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/19/21 11:04 a.m.

Joining/making a team really seems like a great way to Challenge glory. The Nelsons, team Gutty, this year's winners, Georgia Tech, Gumby, etc. It just takes a lot of work, creativity and different talents. 

I can't actually think of a solo builder that has won, but I'm sure there has been. Maybe Patrick?

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/19/21 11:11 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Machinenbau (Datsaniti)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
12/19/21 11:23 a.m.

I'd love to see someone cram the entire drivetrain from an early Acura RDX into this. 

K series, turbo (240hp stock), AWD, 5speed auto with paddle shifters. (07-09)

Just saying.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/19/21 11:25 a.m.

Depending on scheduling, I might be willing to stop by and help out with some wrenching. I've never done the Challenge and would like to at least participate at some small level.

BlueInGreen - Jon
12/19/21 3:28 p.m.

Maybe I'll start to pick it apart, collect parts, and then host a build/social day if the going gets serious. Wasn't that how Datsaniti was born?

Regardless, I need to pull it out of the field and do something with it so the car doesn't just sit in the snow and deteriorate.

First question is: do a swap up front, or stick a transverse something driving the rear wheels under the hatch?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
12/19/21 6:14 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen - Jon :

A swap would be easier and yields a car with a post-Challenge afterlife.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/20/21 8:55 a.m.

Datsaniti was primarily a solo build, with the first weekend of building being a major exception. Over the course of a 3 day weekend, I had over 15 people rotating in and out. Being in SE MI, you should have no trouble rounding up that many people. I think at least 6 of the crew from my build party came down from Detroit (to IN where I was at the time).

How it started (Friday)

How it ended (Sunday)

K-swap Insight would be amazing. Even keeping it FWD would be a lot of a fun.

BlueInGreen - Jon
12/21/21 11:40 a.m.

Alright, well I'll have some free time after Christmas to pull it out of the snow, poke around, and then I'll go from there.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
12/24/21 11:54 p.m.

I'm interested in helping out.  

RACEC4R
RACEC4R Reader
1/13/22 9:05 a.m.

I'd help as well.  Don't have as much time as I used to, but would love to lend a hand.

BlueInGreen - Jon
2/26/22 5:52 p.m.

An update: So... we recently found out my wife is growing another tiny human! That's exciting :D Also we might be moving soon.

With all that in mind, I decided that jumping into a big racecar project right now doesn't make sense. 

So I have passed the blue Insight on to the GRMer who was next in line when it was posted on the forum last time.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/22 5:59 p.m.

Congrats.  Tiny humans are cool.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/26/22 6:11 p.m.

Congrats Jon and Mrs!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eaC5WmqS3Bhi4BsEgEZrDXeON3XhHzZnBNLWV5jppkhcTfc4Ut0WTJ8yxD1lBWlz