1 2 3
Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 12:50 p.m.

Asking for a friend but will alcohol be allowed on the campgrounds?

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/3/22 1:08 p.m.

It will not be allowed. Just like alcohol isn't allowed at most tracks or at state parks. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
2/3/22 1:41 p.m.

I see Epic tales for the generations in the making.

Participants only or spectators allowed?

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
2/3/22 1:42 p.m.

This is super exciting. I just need to find a way to pull my camper and my car at the same time lol

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/3/22 2:11 p.m.

Do any of those bathroom buildings on site have showers, or am I thinking of Sebring?

Tom Suddard
2/3/22 2:17 p.m.

Spectators are welcome to camp! We'd love to have you.

Showers may technically exist at Gainesville Raceway, but I've never found them. I would plan on being completely self-sufficient.

If only there was a whole article on GRM about building your own trackside hot shower... 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
2/3/22 2:23 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Grm plugging grm, niceeee

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 3:25 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

This is super exciting. I just need to find a way to pull my camper and my car at the same time lol

I think the term you want to plug into Facebook marketplace is "toy hauler". Though most probably aren't big enough for a car.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
2/3/22 3:29 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Thats what i have. But the ones big enough for a car are bigggg money.

wae
wae PowerDork
2/3/22 3:43 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
surfshibby07 said:

I think the term you want to plug into Facebook marketplace is "toy hauler". Though most probably aren't big enough for a car.

Yeah, these are for side-by-sides, golf carts, or bikes.  I looked around and even the high-dollar 5ers aren't big enough for a Miata.  The car-hauling ones are in another league, really.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
2/3/22 3:56 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

It will not be allowed. Just like alcohol isn't allowed at most tracks or at state parks. 

That seems like a buzzkill.  

Tom Suddard
2/3/22 4:08 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad :

There are certain norms I can't comment on as a staff member. Anybody else want to take this one?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/3/22 4:13 p.m.

I swear track security dude, it's just Kool aid. I'm stumbling because I had a stroke years ago.

Followed up with

Are you discriminating against me because of my disability?

bigben
bigben Reader
2/3/22 5:36 p.m.
surfshibby07 said:

No problem

RV plus trailer

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
2/3/22 6:33 p.m.

In reply to bigben :

That is a hard pass from me lol

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
2/3/22 9:47 p.m.

I expect to see this thread next year:

Camping NOT Allowed at $2000 Challenge

Due to last years shenanigans and tomfoolery we are not allowed to camp at the challenge.  Thanks guys, you know who you are.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/22 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

We say that every year about the host hotel parking lot. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/22 11:33 a.m.
Stampie said:

I swear track security dude, it's just Kool aid. I'm stumbling because I had a stroke years ago.

Followed up with

Are you discriminating against me because of my disability?

" I'm of Scottish, Irish and Russian heritage, this isn't just alcohol it's a celebration of my heritage!"

Hoondavan
Hoondavan HalfDork
2/7/22 6:46 p.m.

I'm a (mostly) responsible adult that enjoys the combination of water, hops, & barley.  I've enjoyed adult beverages at many state campgrounds that say "no alcohol" without issue.

The only issue I've ever had was on the Upper Delaware River (NJ) where my stoney cousin decided to pull his empties out of his kayak  AS THE PARK RANGER WAS DRIVING BY.  I wasn't around when it happened, but it did result in a ticket and a mandatory court appearance (if I remember correctly) for him and the person who's name was on the reservation (thanks, New Jersey).  We've returned to this campground the following 10 years and has never had the same issue.

The option for camping has definitely increased the odds that I attend this year. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/8/22 6:27 a.m.

Time to add a kitchen and bath to my race trailer!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/8/22 6:51 a.m.

I love camping, and I'm happy to see it at the Challenge. I do have 1 concern...

My favorite part of the Challenge has always been the comradery. That fellowship has always centered on the hotel- the parking lot, the pool, breakfast, the Gator's Den, and the banquet room.  

With camping available at the track, the fellowship will be divided between 2 locations. Half the people I'd like to socialize with will be at a different location. 

We shall see...

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/8/22 10:17 a.m.
SV reX said:

I love camping, and I'm happy to see it at the Challenge. I do have 1 concern...

My favorite part of the Challenge has always been the comradery. That fellowship has always centered on the hotel- the parking lot, the pool, breakfast, the Gator's Den, and the banquet room.  

With camping available at the track, the fellowship will be divided between 2 locations. Half the people I'd like to socialize with will be at a different location. 

We shall see...

I concur.

Tom Suddard
2/8/22 10:28 a.m.
SV reX said:

We shall see...

I agree, but here's how I see it: Camping should open the event up for participation to more people, which is awesome. And lots of other events have a great community even though some participants camp while some stay in a hotel. I'm looking at Gridlife, Rolex 24, Sebring, etc. Long term, this probably means more fun happens at the track while the hotel quiets down, which isn't that bad of an outcome, either.

If you prefer to be pampered, there are tons of rental RVs available for about $100/night in the Gainesville area.

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/22 10:31 a.m.

Here is one place that does rentals in case anyone needs help.

RV Share

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
2/8/22 10:36 a.m.

Yup. 

We shall see...wink

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ssZFoTEwc3eUvxLeIXCIBzC0CJ0JUjMo4MixGbSNVyZTsrwGaiXrLG5TntMlo6Ny