1 2 3
Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/25/19 7:45 a.m.

So I bought my first car a few weeks ago. It's a 1993 Mazda Miata Base model, 183K miles. It was in an accident, causing a salvage title, but was repaired good enough for a rebuilt. I paid $1100 for the car, got it inspected, registered, and drove it 300 miles home.

So far, it's got 14" American Racing AR24 wheels and that's all. Those came with the car.

Total costs so far:

$1100 for the car

$40 for two heater hoses

Total: $1140

Currently trying to find another hose connecting from the thermostat to the block. Can't find one anywhere.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/19 9:17 a.m.

In reply to Catlas_Se7en :

Flyin’ Miata has them, but I’d guess your local Advance/Autozone/Napa could get one too. 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/25/19 10:01 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Surprisingly not a single autopart store had them.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/25/19 10:41 a.m.

I think it's called the devil hose but I ended up having to go in back of my local parts store and just matching up something similar. 

Edit yours isn't the devil's hose but you might try getting a stock hose and cutting/modifying it. That or the dealer. 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/25/19 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

So you know the hose I'm talking about? It's been a pain to try and find one.

Stampie
4/25/19 10:49 a.m.

The devil hose is on the rear but both it and the one you're taking about go to the oil filter iirc.  Take yours into a good parts store and see if y'all can match something up.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/25/19 11:51 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

No, not the same. Mine is in the front connecting from the thermostat to a place on the block.

Stampie
4/25/19 12:04 p.m.

Front to passenger middle?

rodknock
rodknock Reader
4/25/19 12:19 p.m.

Is it this one? If not definitely check that seller's store. I have bout a few hoses from them when I couldn't find them locally. 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/26/19 6:26 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Front to driver middle

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/27/19 5:57 p.m.

Update: I finally got the hose, installed it, no more leaks. 

Costs:

$14.02 for the hose

Total: $1154.02

Still $845.98 to play with in terms of challenge budget...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/27/19 10:24 p.m.

That looks like MCAS Cherry Point. Hello from another NC GRMer. 

Stampie
4/27/19 10:48 p.m.

I had to replace the o ring from the water pump to the heater core today. I looked at the hose that you've just replaced. Seemed like it shouldn't be too bad. Hopefully you won't spend the next two years chasing coolant leak like I have.  It'll be fun to see you at the Challenge. 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/28/19 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

It wasn't overall to bad, just a bitch to get the clamp down at the bottom. Stupid spring clamps

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
4/28/19 10:55 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

Honestly don't remember where it was, but hello fellow NC GRMer

Stampie
4/28/19 10:56 a.m.

May your devil hose never fail. 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/4/19 10:35 p.m.

Update on plans for Cherry Bomb:

An idea (a dumb one at that) has me very, very interested. My dad owned a 2004 mini cooper S, aka the R53 supercharged model. Built it to about 250hp but then problems arose and it sat for a year in storage. He's now parting it out. Well, I'll be taking the Eaton M45 supercharger off it, alongside the intercooler, belts, and anything else I can swap. I have a friend who can fab me the brackets and such that I need for it. Then a megasquirt ECU, various piping that I'd need, and a few other odds and ends. Should be just over $600 total. Instead of $1600 for a JRSC kit... Are tires counted towards budget in the gastropod class? What are the requirements for a rollbar? Cause for $1700 after the supercharger, I think I may do alright. The car should push 170whp after the supercharger is installed. 

Parts added/installing soon:
Eaton M45 supercharger off a mini cooper S - free

MS ECU - $250

Brackets - $20

Supercharger Bypass - $60

Dummy TB - idk, gotta source one first..

Total costs - $1484.02

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/9/19 6:25 a.m.

Can I get this moved over the builds page please?

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/19 9:08 a.m.

If you ever want to sell thoes wheels let me know please! 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/9/19 11:53 a.m.

In reply to Professor_Brap :

Come get them, they are for sale. I really don't want them, I'd rather something else

Dead_Sled
Dead_Sled Reader
5/9/19 12:15 p.m.
Catlas_Se7en said:

Parts added/installing soon:
Eaton M45 supercharger off a mini cooper S - free

MS ECU - $250

Brackets - $20

Supercharger Bypass - $60

Dummy TB - idk, gotta source one first..

Total costs - $1484.02

I'm a challenge newb as well so don't take my word as gospel, but you might have to FMV that blower even if your dad gives it to you for free, unless it was free to anyone and you just happen to grab it.

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/12/19 10:54 a.m.

So took the car to its (and my) first ever drag strip. Ran a 17.1. Not bad for a stock 1.6 miata. Though I ran into an issue. I ran into a nail and now I got a flat...Gotta find a budget option for tires/wheels now.

Stampie
5/12/19 11:24 a.m.

Miatia are very picky about wheel weight so make sure you stay light. 

Catlas_Se7en
Catlas_Se7en New Reader
5/12/19 9:10 p.m.

So I have a question. If someone wants to trade some coilovers in exchange for a driveshaft, and I got the driveshaft for a good price, do I mark the coilover price as the price they asked in cash or the driveshaft price?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/19 9:47 p.m.

Driveshaft price provided you have a receipt(hint: write a receipt for everything because you may use it for a challenge build someday)

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K5Ot74SgAFGh5ugIWXnnNcV3aTNf1ZJIYYIWWBahcAw7pcOoNwpVHyE90DuIjqIb