Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/23/22 7:19 p.m.

We usually do this if any of the judges mind sharing the crew's thoughts on particular cars. I'd love to know how we did car 27

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/23/22 7:25 p.m.

I'd love thoughts on 627.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/23/22 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 and Stampie:

I didn't take a photo of my sheet but I'm pretty sure you guys scored similarly- Suprang getting more innovation points than execution, the Integra the other way around. 

Stampie pointing out what was Supra and what was mustang and how they blended was a strong point for me, where on the Integra having Alan say how well it drove really helped the execution side by reminding us how well it worked. 

Stampie
10/23/22 7:37 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I was wondering if my DNF would affect it.  Sounds like it should when you explain it that way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/23/22 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

To me the overall function of the end package went into execution along with clean organization and whatnot.  If you Dnf'd by crashing that wouldn't impact it but a mechanical issue probably cost a point.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/23/22 7:39 p.m.

Where were the results posted?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/23/22 7:43 p.m.

^ they generally aren't offically until the magazine is published why we do this thread each year. Post car number and usually someone will share/elaborate 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/23/22 7:48 p.m.

I will say as a general note, the best way to get higher presentation points was to know what you wanted to say and get through it clearly- Robbie's posterboard on the windshield bullet point trick is a good one if you're worried about remembering what you wanted to cover.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/23/22 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Ah ok makes sense. 
I was hoping concours was our best event (car 11) so was curious to see what it ended up being. Assumed low on engineering, decent on execution 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/23/22 7:57 p.m.

In reply to Cooper_Tired :

What kind of car?  I'm sitting in the airport terminal going off memory. 

I think that was the red/white Integra, which you pretty much got it- not a ton of innovation points to be had in a mostly stock car, but it cleaned up nicely and the graphics looked great so you scored decently on execution.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/23/22 8:00 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

The RealTame integra

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/23/22 8:05 p.m.

Yep so mostly points for the graphics and just not having wires hanging off and stuff.  Presentation was decent but there was at least one point left on the table there.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/23/22 8:08 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Thanks for the info! 
do you guys read the books after the judging? First time challenge for us and we missed some stuff in the presentation that was detailed in the book

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/23/22 8:11 p.m.

We did not, we went entirely off presentations and what we could see in front of us.  I'm not sure if the books have factored in previous years but I don't think so.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired HalfDork
10/23/22 8:15 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Awesome to know! Thanks 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/23/22 8:20 p.m.

I was a judge in a previous year.

The books are not used as part of the Concors score. Judges would never have time to read them.

The books are only used for back up documentation for the budget.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/24/22 7:16 a.m.

I'm now sitting at work and will happily try to remember more details for anybody who wants them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/24/22 9:27 a.m.

Now that the results are posted, I'd say it appears the other judges punished paint issues and dents more than I did- I was looking more under the hood and at the suspension and stuff but the averages were lower than my score on cars with oxidation and dings and similar.

Stampie
10/26/22 6:26 p.m.

Bringing this back up in hopes that other judges will jump in and with a question.  One of the things that I didn't like was the patina of the car and the obviously new parts I used to get Suprang back in running condition.  Would it had been better to junkyard stuff to keep the older used patina look?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/26/22 6:48 p.m.

Yes details about as many cars as possible please! 

This particular moving target is rapidly becoming my favorite part of this event 

Racebrick
Racebrick Reader
10/26/22 6:51 p.m.

Im interested in details on the #19 bmw kart

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
10/26/22 11:31 p.m.
Racebrick said:

Im interested in details on the #19 bmw kart

I gave it a 16 if I recall correctly. 

Robbie got a 4 for presentation.  He used the time wisely, described what was done to improve the vehicle and it was clear he is good at presenting facts in an understandable manner.  I gave it a 7 for execution because it was well done for what it was.  It got a 5 for innovation because it was essentially a stock ish BMW that had a ton of weight loss thrown at it.

Clearly I liked it since it's sitting in my garage now wink

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltimaDork
10/27/22 6:51 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

I think I scored it similarly but maybe a bit lower- the easiest points left on the table were definitely for execution; the car worked fine but could have scored higher with cleaner cuts on the sheet metal, complete welds everywhere on the cage, paint all the way around the cage tubes, etc.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/27/22 12:13 p.m.

If it doesn't have a body, it can't have dents. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2cnMePJPDTVR0E2hXuKZNCLjMTS3lXPpeBLIivPMigpN1UpUfEMjVgAp6sQ3GrJJ