1 2 3 ... 6
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 4:53 a.m.

Just doing a little pre panning. I've got a whole bunch of  mechanical Jaguar junk, mostly from rusty old sedans etc. enough that I can make a  car if I build a frame and body. 
  It's All stuff I've tried to sell in the past and got no buyers  but that's probably because they were looking for a 1974 and I have a 1986 or something. Yeh, it needs cleaning  etc. but I'm sure it's stuff my heirs will have to get a dumpster for. 
   So for challenge purposes  what's it worth?  I guess I need 5  estimates?  
     PS if you're too generous I'll gladly sell it to you 

I apologize to  everyone.  
    I've done this wrong and I'm hereby modifying it.   
    I think the parts pictured below  are worth $300.   My justification is at a scrap metal dealer I'd get about $50-80 for them.  But I think they are worth more to me hence the $300 valuation. .   Much more and I can simply buy another Jaguar and  pull them.  It takes a little over an hour to pull the front and rear crossmembers off.  Plus I think we've got a couple of hours unbolting the engine and pulling it only took 10 minutes. Erick and Jeff can be more precise if it's important. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 5:18 a.m.

Photos of said stuff? I'm assuming that you have them as you've attempted to sell it and people take photos when making for sale listings when they're serious about attempting to sell items. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 5:24 a.m.

Oh sure. It's kinda disorganized, anything special you'd like close pictures of?   

4/15/22 6:05 a.m.

The entire quantity in question, especially seeing that there is not an individual list. Which honestly calls me to question whether or not it has been attempted to previously be sold in good faith

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 6:33 a.m.

I'd want a whole list instead of a pile.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 10:03 a.m.
Stampie said:

I'd want a whole list instead of a pile.

Ok 

Jaguar rear end. Assembly complete. Although taken apart. Needle bearing assemblies removed etc.  knock off hubs, good splines. Undamaged threads. 
drive shaft. Engine assembly, with transmission,   Radiator. Front suspension crossmember.  
pictures to follow. 

4/15/22 10:10 a.m.

Those rear ends are worth 850ish to someone drag racing an 80s G body. Source: another thread on this board. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 10:14 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

The entire quantity in question, especially seeing that there is not an individual list. Which honestly calls me to question whether or not it has been attempted to previously be sold in good faith

I collected Jaguar engines from the 1980's to 1999. Sources were other Jaguar owners with rusty cars and a couple of shops that specialized in Chevy transplants. At one time I had 50 here   And was trying to sell them through Hemmings and a few other publications. 
     Prior  to construction  of my house I took  all but 3  apart  so I could sell the clean metal.  Clean metal to a scrap metal dealer means only aluminum no steel or only steel but no Aluminum.  Not Spic and Span clean.  
 None of the parts from my XJS are included. 

If you are serious about offering me a good price I'll be glad to take your money and arrange pick-up.  I can always find more non running cars. 

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/15/22 10:15 a.m.

I've got a whole bunch of  mechanical Jaguar junk...

...I guess I need 5  estimates?

For recoup? Weigh it. Find out what the local yard is paying for scrap cars per ton. Otherwise give details of every part that you want a value on or your whole thread (and junk) is worthless other than the entertainment we get from the responses.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/22 10:20 a.m.

It sounds like you haven't tried to sell anything in a decade or more?  If so, I'm gonna say that none of your previous pricing is going to be valid as a good faith attempt at a sale.

Honestly, looking at what you've posted here in this thread and the complete lack of information, even if I needed Jag parts I'd pass on your ad.  What year is everything? What car did they come from? Mechanical condition, gear ratios, etc.

If I saw an ad with this:

Jaguar rear end. Assembly complete. Although taken apart. Needle bearing assemblies removed etc.  knock off hubs, good splines. Undamaged threads. 
drive shaft. Engine assembly, with transmission,   Radiator. Front suspension crossmember.  
pictures to follow. 

And thats it, I'd know that it would be like pulling teeth to get more info.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 10:27 a.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

Weigh it. Find out what the local yard is paying for scrap cars per ton. Otherwise give details of every part that you want a value on or your whole thread (and junk) is worthless other than the entertainment we get from the responses.

Thanks!  Does that count? I take the weight of the stuff I'm going to use and find out what scrap value is?    That's probably a whole lot easier.   
   I hope people treat my offer decently rather than being a Jerk.  
It's  pretty simple.  Enough stuff to build a Bitsa Jaguar XKE  except the frame and body. 
  It's like I was going to build a Corvette from Impala parts. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 10:29 a.m.

Let's go back to the rules (again) because lots of people do what frenchy is doing here and it's a lazy cop-out. 

Rules say:

• A copy of a GRM message board thread where at least 5 users with more than 50 posts have agreed with a proposed fair market value for your item.

In order to get any of this to work, the builder should propose a fair market value and then users can agree or disagree. 

Do your homework, come up with a value and some reasons you think it is appropriate, and then post. Asking others to come up with the value and the reasoning is the lazy cop-out. 

I'll also remind the group: Fair Market Value is not the same thing as a good deal. A good deal, as the name suggests, means you bought something for less than Fair Market Value or you sold something for more than Fair Market Value. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 10:33 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

It sounds like you haven't tried to sell anything in a decade or more?  If so, I'm gonna say that none of your previous pricing is going to be valid as a good faith attempt at a sale.

Honestly, looking at what you've posted here in this thread and the complete lack of information, even if I needed Jag parts I'd pass on your ad.  What year is everything? What car did they come from? Mechanical condition, gear ratios, etc.

pictures to follow. 

Are you seriously interested?   If so I'll tell you everything I know.  Which is massively more than most people on the subject.  
  It's like I'm going to build a Corvette except I'm starting with a bunch of Impala parts.  
 This stuff is bound for a dumpster when I pass.  I want to turn it into an XKE  race car.  I've got fiberglass molds for much of it.  Easy enough to make the few   I'm missing. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 10:34 a.m.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/15/22 10:34 a.m.

Completed sales on eBay for similar parts (honestly similar, a complete rear end is not the sale as a bunch of parts for a rear end in a box) would seem to be a good start. The reason you look at completed listings is because that's what they actually sold for. There can be quite a disconnect between asking price and sale price.

For example, this complete one sold for less than $549: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254900783784?hash=item3b59454aa8:g:e~EAAOSwPCtdHu2x
This XJ8 diff (complete) was $221.24: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144022151898?fits=Make%3AJaguar&hash=item218863a2da:g:fZgAAOSwSPhgiGCi

AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/15/22 10:35 a.m.

For *recoup*, junk is scrap value unless you care to give details of every part and get FMV on every part.

If you are building the Challenge car from "Junk", then read the Rules. The scrap value isn't going to work for that.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 10:35 a.m.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 10:36 a.m.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/15/22 10:38 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Mr_Asa said:

pictures to follow. 

Are you seriously interested?   If so I'll tell you everything I know.  Which is massively more than most people on the subject.  
  It's like I'm going to build a Corvette except I'm starting with a bunch of Impala parts.  
 This stuff is bound for a dumpster when I pass.  I want to turn it into an XKE  race car.  I've got fiberglass molds for much of it.  Easy enough to make the few   I'm missing. 

Why, in the holy name of berkeley, would you think I am interested?  I specifically said that given the dearth of details I would not be interested in your ad.

Again, work on your reading comprehension.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/15/22 10:44 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Weigh it. Find out what the local yard is paying for scrap cars per ton. Otherwise give details of every part that you want a value on or your whole thread (and junk) is worthless other than the entertainment we get from the responses.

Thanks!  Does that count? I take the weight of the stuff I'm going to use and find out what scrap value is?    That's probably a whole lot easier.   
It's  pretty simple.  Enough stuff to build a Bitsa Jaguar XKE  except the frame and body. 

Just a few months ago, I offered to pay you quite a bit more than scrap value by weight for some Jaguar parts, and you declined because you thought they were worth even more than I offered. (Which is fine of course!)

However, I would disagree strongly with the approach listed above simply because of that interaction. 

I think you know exactly what your stuff is worth. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/15/22 10:47 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

For example, this complete one sold for less than $549: https://www.ebay.com/itm/254900783784?hash=item3b59454aa8:g:e~EAAOSwPCtdHu2x

I agree that completed sales on eBay are a great way to establish FMV, and the rules also say this. 

I do want to note however, that one you linked sold for less than $549 PLUS $300 shipping. Shipping is included in challenge parts purchases, so thats more like $750, probably. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/15/22 11:02 a.m.

I'll trade you a battery kill switch for that pile of junk. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 11:05 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
frenchyd said:

Just a few months ago, I offered to pay you quite a bit more than scrap value by weight for some Jaguar parts, and you declined because you thought they were worth even more than I offered. (Which is fine of course!)

However, I would disagree strongly with the approach listed above simply because of that interaction. 

I think you know exactly what your stuff is worth. 

Note those wheels aren't included.  
  You're in Chicago. If you wanted to have spare parts for your Jaguar  XJ6 and you found a rusty unrunning one, what would you pay?  
 Personally I think I'd pay what I've always paid,  $300 or less.  
       I hear scrap metal prices are in the dumper.   So imagine you hauled a burned out Jaguar hulk across the scales.  Then subtract the weight of the body.   How much are we talking about?  
  My thinking is $50-80 at most.  

Can I use those pieces?   Shouldn't matter. That's what they are worth.   Calvin Nelson can take a stone stock unopened Atlas motor and go 9 seconds with it.  He only paid $150-175 for it.  That's my logic and reasoning. 
     Nope don't have receipts.  But above the scrap metal prices, if that's not allowed. And without others being a Jerk    If people walked past that stuff what would they pay.   I'm saying $300 much above that and you can come and get it.  There are plenty of non running Jaguars to pick from. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/15/22 11:06 a.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Thanks I already have a couple. But I don't have a recept for them.  Price wise I think they are less than $50. So is that your value?   

Cuda
Cuda Reader
4/15/22 11:08 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:
frenchyd said:
Mr_Asa said:

pictures to follow. 

Why, in the holy name of berkeley, would you think I am interested?  I specifically said that given the dearth of details I would not be interested in your ad.

Again, work on your reading comprehension.

"BLAH BLAH BLAH... I am interested?  I ...would .. be interested in your ad.

BLAH BLAH BLAH"

I can see where he is coming from. It is pretty easy to see where he got confused.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OVNRJ6fyVG7HE44Lk97nOY6Xene7cWAXRLiuGlNpKi82TFS3Gp0DGpvyFC26jcGs