1 2 3 4
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/2/22 4:52 p.m.

I'm going to call these final* (yes, that's an asterisk), but only because you all haven't seen them yet. I'd like to make these official tomorrow, so we can all have clarity on what this year's $2000 Challenge will look like, and so I can open up registration. 

For the 2022 $2000 Challenge, I'd like to leave the rules the same, but add the following section up top. 

Classes:

New for 2022, the $2000 Challenge will offer multiple classes. Each class will be divided into two sub-classes: Cars built for less than $2000 under the $2000 Challenge budget rules, and cars built without budget limitations. The goal is to show that cars built on a budget can match—and even beat—cars built for a much higher cost.

$2000 Challenge Classes are as follows:

Great Tire Narrow (GTN): For cars equipped with 200tw rated or higher tires with a labeled tire width less than or equal to 225mm.

Great Tire Wide (GTW): For cars equipped with 200tw rated or higher tires with a labeled tire width less than or equal to 285mm.

Great Tire Unlimited (GTU): For cars equipped with all other tires (including slicks, etc.)

All vehicles must display their class abbreviation alongside their number on both sides of the vehicle. Cars competing with budget limitations must append the suffix “$” to their class abbreviation. For example, a Great Tire Narrow entry built for under $2000 would display “GTN$”

Labeled tire width is defined as the widest tire width present on the car. The following tires are specifically excluded from 200tw classes: Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR; Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 and Pilot Sport Cup 2 ZP.

Cars competing without budget limitations do not compete in the $2000 Challenge concours.

What does everybody think?

And a few clarifications:

Over/under budget cars will be scored separately, with each eligible to win separate trophies, prizes and tires. 

Only under budget cars will be eligible to win overall.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/2/22 4:59 p.m.

As long as the biggest prize/most agressive mentions are for the fastest car built in budget I'm in

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/22 5:04 p.m.

With six(!!!!!!) classes now, what, if any special trophies/subclasses are planned?

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 5:08 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

In order to accommodate six classes, we won't be able to support as many official special trophies/subclasses. 

The special trophy list (in addition too all the scored trophies) will be something like:

• Editors' Choice
  • Challenger's Choice
  • Phil Kime Spirit of the Event Award
  • School Award
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
2/2/22 5:11 p.m.

I think this is an awesome solution. To both tire rules, and participation numbers. Hopefully gets a bit more editorial variety as well.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/2/22 5:12 p.m.

Curiosity-What are the reasons for banning certain 200TW tires? If those are the current "Hot" tires for autocross you may hurt attendance in the exhibition class. I think that current autocrossers could be marketed to very well for exhibition. Saying they need a tire change just for this event would probably stop them from attending. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/2/22 5:13 p.m.

I am fine with this.  

Just to Clarify, still 1 set of 4 Tires $0 budget hit?  

Also does the Garden Sprayer go in budget?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork

The title of "Great" tire classes implies the existence of Bad tire classes. Tigerpaws for the win in BTN!

Tom Suddard

In reply to MrJoshua :

Those tires are currently banned in most 200tw-oriented series, as they're "special" tires that aren't widely available. The Kumhos, for example, are custom-made to fit Viper ACRs and nothing else. 

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 5:14 p.m.
nocones said:

I am fine with this.  

Just to Clarify, still 1 set of 4 Tires $0 budget hit?  

Correct. Zero changes besides this section. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/2/22 5:16 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

Those tires are currently banned in most 200tw-oriented series, as they're "special" tires that aren't widely available. The Kumhos, for example, are custom-made to fit Viper ACRs and nothing else. 

Gotcha-exactly opposite of what I was worried about. Rule on!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
2/2/22 5:18 p.m.

Big take away that no one is talking about-We make our own numbers now right?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/2/22 5:18 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

The title of "Great" tire classes implies the existence of Bad tire classes. Tigerpaws for the win in BTN!

Why do we need 4 slow tire classes? Seems excessive. 

I'll stop now it's almost spring gotta un-mount the snow R888s anyway 

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 5:20 p.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

Correct. Goodbye white square, hello creative freedom.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/2/22 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Over budget cars won't need a budget sheet or be scored in concours right? 

Deleting my budget spreadsheet to hide all evidence of cost. "They gave it it to me." Now I can afford replacements for all the brittle broken plastic trim pieces. 

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 5:21 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman :

Correct.

MonZora = GTU$

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
2/2/22 5:34 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

MonZora = GTU$

CRX GTP = GTU$ (that's gunna get a little confusing) 

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman SuperDork
2/2/22 5:47 p.m.

Almost my last question. Does the 200tw and section width apply to drag tires?

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
2/2/22 5:59 p.m.

important question right here.

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 6:00 p.m.

Yes. If you want to run drag slicks, go to GTU. 

No more half-budget class? :(

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/2/22 6:39 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

If you want to run drag slicks, go to GTU. 

Not a fan of this. By nature of the competition the goal is dual purpose cars, yet this is potentially kneecapping 200tw competitors for the overall win?

Tom Suddard
2/2/22 6:47 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

On the flip side, it's a little disingenuous to tell the "street" tire class that they need to bring multiple sets of tires with them and compete on slicks. LS Fest Grand Champion drag races on 200tw. 

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
2/2/22 6:48 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

I think it also handicaps the more drag-focused cars since they are forced into GTU, which I assume will be most of the faster auto-x cars (?) I could be wrong about that though.  

It still isn't clear how the classes play into the overall overall win? is there actually still an overall win? 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HiRUAmWNtzkC7ECYpTd95g4SKHi4iCKaWvyrJ1i3NFH87w6jsi6MCQttBkXuWUlm