1 2 3 4
maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/7/22 9:08 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I guess I'm not picking up on the subtle hint? 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/7/22 9:10 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

The Challenge is aimed at greatness?

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
3/8/22 5:03 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

I'm assuming it is a nod to the IMSA GTU class, but I could be wrong.

As for the radio comment, with the number of people who talk as soon as they hit the button on a radio instead of waiting a fraction of a second, at least if the beginning of their message is cut off, the car they are talking about should still be identifiable.

jabos7
jabos7 New Reader
7/7/22 8:40 p.m.

Sorry to come in with downer attitude, but I must confess my disappointment in "opening up" to all comers/budgets.  I see the hope in expanding the field, and the wish that something cheap will burn something more expensive.  But I feel that's what happens at any other event - come one, come all.  The whole premise from the beginning was the "challenge" of meeting the dollar demands using creativity, skill, and luck. Call me a purist, but this just became another autocross.  Sorry --had to vent, hope I'm not alone.  Regards to all.

Stampie
7/7/22 9:22 p.m.

In reply to jabos7 :

I have thought this also but I'm going into it with an open mind.  Plus how many unlimited budget cars want to hear smack talk about how they got their shinny beat by a $2k car?  I know I'll be delivering some of that smack talk.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/7/22 10:38 p.m.

In reply to jabos7 :

I wouldn't worry too much about the drag portion at least. There's dudes running in the 9s who meet the $2000 ruleset. 

Stampie
7/7/22 11:07 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

There's also autocross guys that place top three at the Challenge and go on to Nationals with the same car.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/7/22 11:34 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

That good driver mod is a solid choice.  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/8/22 7:20 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

In reply to jabos7 :

I wouldn't worry too much about the drag portion at least. There's dudes running in the 9s who meet the $2000 ruleset. 

And, that was last year, when they were only a few thousands of a second short of eights on a track wet with dew. A prediction for an eight second pass for this year is pretty certain. 

Worth being there, just to see that!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
7/8/22 2:56 p.m.

Uncharted territory is always scary, but I'm excited about this year. So far the vast majority of entries are under budget, and we've seen a ton of interest from sponsors supporting the new rules. Three months to go!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/11/22 7:17 p.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

There's also autocross guys that place top three at the Challenge and go on to Nationals with the same car.

Wow, I didn't know about that too. We've got some fast folks here! 

davbro
davbro New Reader
7/15/22 12:58 p.m.

I am really looking forward to this years event as i hope to enter a new $2000 challenge entry and also bring a former Challenge entry that is now over budget.  I do however hope that you reconsider doing away with the "Best Engineered" award...not totally because i have won it in the past, but because i always look forward for innovative build someone is going to come up with next.  That award has always motivated me to try to be different (although the first time i won it i did not know it was a thinglaugh)

I am sure folks are still going to think outsidde the box (i know i will), but it would be nice to have the recognition.  As more of a builder than a racer i aim more for that trophy than an overall win

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ntchz5ApuCq8IntnFXM2L2UB0BEnEZd9IMZysAtIy2C3g8OZT0Ep2K35MQw6l1Y2