1 2
VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
3/7/13 3:32 p.m.

It is with great sadness that I must sell my '97 BMW 540i/6. Why you may ask? Well, back in May '12 I had a minor rear end accident where the car was totaled and I purchased it back from my insurance company. At the time I decided to keep it I was told that I would be able to title the car in MD no problem. Fast forward to now and the total loss claims agent I was dealing with was wrong. Back story on the car is that it was a flood car that had been dry for over 6 years when I purchased it in February of 2009 as a daily driver from a BMW technician in Scranton, PA. Being in the military I titled and registered the car in Florida. I drove the car with reckless abandon and great joy until the accident last year, never had an issue and intended to keep it forever. It turns out that Florida will not allow a car to be totaled twice and they subsequently issued me the dreaded Certificate of Destruction. Now, I'm dead in the water and I don't have time to part it out. I'll give you guys the short story on this car as there's just to much to cover in one post.

Guy who built the car was single, employed at BMW dealership(still is) and had time on his hands. He built the car as an M Tribute and as such the only non-M item on the car is the motor, more or less. I mean, bumpers front seats, headliner, rear end, cluster, flip up mirrors, HID factory lights with factory harness, swaybars, etc. He also replaced anything and everything that was in questionable condition except the clutch. Resealed the motor, bushings, bearing carriers, tie rods, end links, ABS pump, Koni FSDs, Eibach sport springs, Z4 shifter, you name it. He told me that he would warranty the car for 10 years he was so sure of the work he had done. I was sold and bought it with 96k miles on it. Only reason he sold it was to fund a 2001 540 M.

The only thing I have done to the car in the time I've owned it is change the oil, brake fluid, cam position sensor, water pump gasket and added an iPod adapter. When I thought I was going to keep it, I did a brake job in August 2012 and tires a year earlier. Tires have very few miles on them. It now has 137k miles on it. Everything works and I would drive it anywhere and get 25mpg doing it. This car is a non-VANOS car that really scoots with the M5 rear end in it, first gear doesn't last long at all before you have to shift into 2nd. Existing damage is the front bumper skin, hood(decent replacement included), and radiator support, the fenders were unaffected in the accident. We love this car but with retiring from the Air Force, looking for a job and MD not wanting to give me a title I have to let it go. Perfect car for anyone living in a non-title state like New Hampshire. Great Challenge car that's nearly ready to go. I'm asking $2k for the car and it's worth a great deal more if you wanted to part it out, I just don't have time.

Anyone with REAL interest should call me and we can discuss all of the details on the car. Anyone that knows me will tell you this is a legitimate sale and no funny business. Two four Zero - 441 - Zero Eight Seven 6.

Thanks for Looking, Bruce

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
3/7/13 3:49 p.m.

Thank god I don't have 2g's sitting around....otherwise that drivetrain would find a home in my 318ti

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
3/7/13 3:56 p.m.

That swap was just discussed during a phonecall with my buddy in NH. I'm looking at a 318ti now thanks to the build posts. Wife said I can't use savings though so it has to go. Would also consider trades for something reliable enough to use as a daily driver.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
3/7/13 3:56 p.m.

Why you gotta do this to me, I have 2k burning a hole in my pocket. I think I'll be better served with the K swap in the x1/9 though....

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/13 4:07 p.m.

Tomorrow morning i am going to find out if Michigan will issue a title for it. if so, i'm on my way. Trade for '03 Mazda6s, V6/5MT?

Before you received the Certificate of Destruction, how was the FL title classified?

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/7/13 6:02 p.m.

Very, very interesting and only a half hour away

AngryCorvair
3/7/13 6:58 p.m.

In reply to cutter67:

i got here first and you already buy all the good stuff. MOM! Cutter's on my side of the classifieds again!!!

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/7/13 7:22 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to cutter67: i got here first and you already buy all the good stuff. MOM! Cutter's on my side of the classifieds again!!!

Well my phone says i talked to Bruce at 3:59pm so i beat your post by 8 mins

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
3/7/13 8:40 p.m.

Angry, it was a branded title before I got the CoD from Florida.

Everyone knows where they are in line.

OutsideGroove
OutsideGroove New Reader
3/7/13 11:20 p.m.

Damn, I should lower the price of my e30 from 3k to 2k and snag this. VT don't care about a title for that car as far as I know. If not, I can wait it out!

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/8/13 4:53 a.m.

Something seems off here. I take it you never bothered to title it in Maryland? Not at all sure you still can't do a Maryland title, just don't hand the clerk the Florida COD.

Maryland will let you title and drive a totalled vehicle.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/8/13 5:36 a.m.

I love those wheels.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/8/13 5:45 a.m.

What a screaming good deal. Wish I was closer. :(

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/8/13 6:01 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Something seems off here. I take it you never bothered to title it in Maryland? Not at all sure you still can't do a Maryland title, just don't hand the clerk the Florida COD. Maryland will let you title and drive a totalled vehicle.

he still needs a title or a slvage cert. then it still takes work. a COD is a different story than a salvage cert.......i dont think the car should of ever of got the COD but in many states and its 2 strikes and your out the car gets the dreaded COD

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
3/8/13 6:12 a.m.
cutter67 wrote:
foxtrapper wrote: Something seems off here. I take it you never bothered to title it in Maryland? Not at all sure you still can't do a Maryland title, just don't hand the clerk the Florida COD. Maryland will let you title and drive a totalled vehicle.
he still needs a title or a slvage cert. then it still takes work. a COD is a different story than a salvage cert.......i dont think the car should of ever of got the COD but in many states and its 2 strikes and your out the car gets the dreaded COD

That's what I don't understand, why a Florida COD is coming into play on a Maryland car. Especially at this point in time. But, non the less.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/8/13 6:27 a.m.

the car was always titled in Fla. he never got a MD title

AngryCorvair
3/8/13 8:10 a.m.
cutter67 wrote:
AngryCorvair wrote: In reply to cutter67: i got here first and you already buy all the good stuff. MOM! Cutter's on my side of the classifieds again!!!
Well my phone says i talked to Bruce at 3:59pm so i beat your post by 8 mins

MOM!! Cutter stuck his tongue out at me!!!

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/8/13 8:13 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: MOM!! Cutter stuck his tongue out at me!!!

OH MOM!!!! but why do i have to let Angry have it....ok but if he doesnt take i am

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/13 10:21 a.m.

Wow....you two...

At least there was no "wait till your father gets home" comments made.

16vCorey
16vCorey PowerDork
3/8/13 11:00 a.m.

It can be done, but it's a pain in the ass, and it will never be able to be titled in Florida, ever. The company I work for buys cars out of Florida and have to do this on occasion. I think in Kentucky, a dealer can submit repair estimates and photos of the car and get a Kentucky salvage title. Of course we sell them with full disclosure. "Previous Florida Certificate of Destruction, Previous Kentucky Salvage Title, Not to be registered or titled in Florida".

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
3/8/13 11:02 a.m.

And here I am with a clean E30 with a sick engine... kinda glad I'm a few too many places back in line...

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
3/8/13 11:05 a.m.

@Foxtrapper, I went to MVA yesterday and they said no-go on the title. I also had a trooper inspect it a couple weeks ago to get his take. It was his recommendation to talk to a supervisor down at MVA that knew title rules. Since CoD is only for proof of ownership and not a title MD can't do anything. Florida won't undo a CoD either, I asked.

I'm stationed in MD at Andrews and I'm a Florida resident so we always title the cars in FL to avoid pesky inspections and such. It bit me this time.

I may come out of it with a nice classic driver though.

@OutsideGroove... E30 huh? Hmmm

Really though, if anyone has questions or is really interested please just give me a call. It's easier to explain the fine details.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
3/8/13 11:27 a.m.

Ugh . . . Sorry to hear this Bruce. It's a good looking ride for sure. I gotta gets me some M Parallels.

AngryCorvair
3/8/13 12:29 p.m.

cutter wins again. i can not register it in MI. here, the equivalent to a COD is a "scrap title", and the chassis / unibody of a scrap titled vehicle can not be put back on the road, no matter how undamaged it may be.

cutter67
cutter67 HalfDork
3/8/13 12:57 p.m.

this is the car the drivetrain is going in.....i was going to wait to do the swap...i going to hate cutting that car up for parts

angry all i have to say is

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zIDVgdKNpEoxqWY8wtWqOVzuauLVTCf1Z1Iu8c9Uyw3G412zq1ZZ7sR5vHGFNMyU