1 2 3
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
10/30/19 3:29 p.m.

I need to do a build thread. I'm gonna do a build thread.

Until then, a handful of people questioned me directly. Another handful were familiar, and aware of the purchase. Apparently there was a BIG handful whispering "That's a $10,000 car." You know who you are. The same people who called BS on Andrew Nelson the first few years, or saw the suck-vette and said "ZOMG Those WHEELS are worth $1,000!!!" - never to their faces, of course.

Anyway, a few GRM threads for reference:

2013 When Chuckathon bought the car

2014 update from Chuck

For Sale ad from 12/18

Fly & Drive

There was a lot of communication back and forth...mainly Chuck detailing EVERYTHING that was wrong with the car. Chuck had a trunk/backseat full of parts that would be included with the car IF the total of the car and parts (NONE of which were used on the car or sold toward recoup) amounted to $3800. We purchased the car for $2000, and the spares for $1800. Seats & center console were sold for $1k within a week.

java230
java230 UberDork
10/30/19 3:33 p.m.

Please do a build thread, I like build threads :D

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/19 3:34 p.m.

I hate you. But only a cause you pull off a shaved head better than me. 

Lof8 - Andy
Lof8 - Andy GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/19 3:36 p.m.

I don't question much at these Challenges anymore, because I've seen so many of these ridiculous listings/prices first hand and I know they exist.  I did shoot you guys a bird as I was driving by in the pits, but I want you to know it was only because you squeaked out a faster run than me and it was only in jest.   well bought, the car looked great.  Whoever came over to talk to me a couple times (white MR2) was a friendly, cool guy.  Was that you Poop?

edit: I see from the fly and drive thread that the friendly gentleman was neither of you in that thread but maybe a slightly older guy from your team?

n8
n8 New Reader
10/30/19 3:46 p.m.

You cheating bastards! 

Just kidding, that thing kicked Bob Costas.

poopshovel again
10/30/19 4:07 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

Man, I hope you saw me laughing my ass off and doing the "welp" gesture when it happened, so yeah. There are no feelings to hurt :) Your car was berkeleying awesome (as proven by the times.) 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
10/30/19 4:18 p.m.

Hong's Gonna Hong.

Very curious about this car as well.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 4:20 p.m.

I have disappointed Dad face that you failed to name it the much more appropriate "He Hate Me".

poopshovel again
10/30/19 4:22 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Hong's Gonna Hong.

Very curious about this car as well.

Uploading pics to imgur right meow.

In the meantime, here's a fraction of the 800 lbs we removed in the first day of wrenching.

The satisfaction of literally taking a hacksaw to a car that once cost $60k cannot be overstated.

poopshovel again
10/30/19 4:25 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

DAMMIT! It was between: "Haters Gonna Hate," "Hate on, Haterz," "Don't Hate the Player...." and "U Mad Bro?"

Mama picked based on semi-symmetry.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/30/19 4:38 p.m.

I knew what car it was the second someone posted a picture. Glad it ended up with a creative genius. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/30/19 4:53 p.m.
Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/19 5:12 p.m.

That's a $10,000 car. The seats and center console are worth $1000 alone! You'd sell them in days, a week at most.

poopshovel again
10/30/19 5:22 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Here's a video:

https://youtu.be/oi234XsfVos

OH E36 M3! THANKS! Apparently rocking quietly in the corner is my secret ninja move surprise

Also, we need to do a custom run of "Moose-size" shirts for waynimal.

Fladiver64
Fladiver64 Reader
10/30/19 5:29 p.m.

I have to admit that one of our guys asked the question when they saw the car is "How did they build that for $2k?" The simple answer I gave him was go ask,  sure enough he came bak 10 min later with the story. There was never any thoughts that someone was cheating, it was more like amassment in what you guys accomplished.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/30/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

Speaking of shirts, where could the general public get a Hong Norr shirt?

Represent! 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 5:33 p.m.
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/30/19 5:40 p.m.

I'll admit, when I saw it in one of the threads, I was like no berkeleying way.

Then, it was pointed out that it was the cheap one posted on here.  

Then I be like...  damn.  Coulda been me.

Well bought!

Is it for sale?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/30/19 5:43 p.m.

I love to hate your car. More build thread please.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/30/19 5:47 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In my opinion it's still a packaged deal because he wouldn't of let the car go without buying the other "$1800" in parts.

To be clear, you are *not* the seller, correct?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/30/19 5:52 p.m.

So it seems that you didn't get the memo that 3050lb isn't a heavy car.   That's 200lb less than an '18 Vette.  

And doesn't that have a similar engine as the Vette?  So it should perform better than a stock vette on sticky tires.  

No wonder you got FTD.

bigben
bigben Reader
10/30/19 5:57 p.m.

In reply to poopshovel again :

I want to hear all about the suspension setup. 

I've got the V1 little brother with the 3.6L, 6spd manual, and LSD that my wife and I occasionally autocross. I'm sure some of the setup should carry over 

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
10/30/19 6:06 p.m.

Not gonna lie, up until about a week ago I thought the Hong Norr team was made up of one guy named Hong Norr.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/30/19 6:19 p.m.

You know, this is the exact kind of thread a liar would make to cover his lies...

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/30/19 6:26 p.m.
slowbird said:

Not gonna lie, up until about a week ago I thought the Hong Norr team was made up of one guy named Hong Norr.

Old craptastic radio control car ESC.  I knew the story at one point when I used to race against these guys in lemons.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vsLDq1Id5SN5twEKaHxO04leFRw27TGZnH8whR9apyzVpoCEmEiki126UcmIqTac