Toot
Toot New Reader
5/16/22 8:18 p.m.

Has anyone built and balanced a driveshaft before.  This is something I have always had done professionally.  I could use any advice or other options to keep cost low.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/22 10:18 p.m.

I've done junkyard builds.  For example needing a 43 inch driveshaft I'll search Ebay for U:U to find the vehicle that has the correct length then add the yoke and flange I need for both ends.  Of course taking into account the yoke and flange length.  Make sense?

Toot
Toot New Reader
5/17/22 6:46 p.m.

Yes thank you

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/22 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Toot :

No problem.  I also use rock auto to make sure the U joint sizes line up.  On a 50% off day I can spend an hour and have a $15 custom driveshaft for the Challenge.

HotNotch
HotNotch New Reader
5/18/22 8:04 a.m.

Currently building a cheap-ish driveshaft for my LS Swapped T56 fox body

Probably only helpful to a few things but 2003 2wd Ford Rangers with the automatic and extended cab have a 4" diameter, .083 wall aluminum drive shaft with 1330 joints.  Pretty long too. 

As Stampie said, checking the U joint compatability via Rock Auto and looking at the yoke compatibility is pretty much the easiest way. 

Some salvage yards on Car-Part.com will list the length too.  Also, some models have new driveshafts listed on RockAuto with the length and other specs.

Our Preferred Partners
AyuZVCGKKIpo8rHrYsscPwPkK1uLvQfYiQ33cyrLRR2sfwm5JQnaUSJAXyZwFfSE