drewkrew7
drewkrew7 New Reader
2/16/20 5:07 p.m.

My parents loaned my brother their F-body Z28 while he went to S FL for college. A few years into it he had engine problems, took to a mechanic, and they said it needs to be replaced. My mom told me I could have it if I went down to get it otherwise it was going to the crusher. It actually used to be my car 10yrs ago and I sold it to my parents when my first son was born, so I couldn't stand the thought of crushing (even though I didn't need another project)! 

So is the car $0 or do I enter it as my gas money for the trip? Not a huge difference either way as I won't be super competitive, but a $100 is 5% of the total, the car is in ROUGH shape, I need engine repairs, and a rollcage. So $100 is $100 and I don't have much recoup room on a dime a dozen car with non-working A/C, windows, top, etc (which I will remove all of the above). 

Unrelated, but this will be my first foray into autocross. I think it'd be fun to build this for the $2k challenge and CAM-C in the future. I believe I can run w/o a top in CAM-C, but I will have to have the side windows correct? I'm trying to wrap my head around that b/c these windows are a mile long and frameless. Seems like they'd be more of a danger than anything (I know Lexan is an option, but I haven't priced that and this is a budget build). I assume I need wriststraps for 2k and CAM-C? 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
2/16/20 5:09 p.m.

Because that's an inside deal, you'll need to budget it at fair market value. 

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
2/16/20 5:28 p.m.

To me sounds like scrap that is what a parent would do with an extra broken down vehicle....

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/16/20 6:16 p.m.

Yeah. I’d say scrap value if that was the alternative. 

Unrelated im not sure why a roll cage has to be added. Yes f bodies are floppy, but there are other options from a challenge point of view.

drewkrew7
drewkrew7 New Reader
2/16/20 7:36 p.m.

In reply to itsarebuild :

Scrap is fair enough - I hadn't considered that. I tore heads off and found a snapped off rocker and two pushrods bent at 40* angle. Bought a truckload of stock F-body parts from a guy in Orlando recently for $700. Will keep what I can use (heads, WS6 wheels and suspension) and sell the rest for recoup. 

If i interpret rules correctly, I need to abide by NHRA regs. Faster than 13.99 in a convertible requires a roll bar. I'd rather try to squeeze a 5 point into the budget for safety (have 5 kids depending on me!) and stiffen the chassis. The top is inoperative, so kinda useless and would be a good weight savings too (canvas w/ glass window)

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
2/16/20 7:50 p.m.

Scrap is what I would think.

Random check on Rockauto shows rebuild kits, including pistons, for $155 and up. Because its a sb chevy you can build that engine really cheaply.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/16/20 7:57 p.m.

I'll forth the scrap value. You need one more 50 post person to agree. If you tell us the year I'll post up what my local yard would pay for it. 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/16/20 8:03 p.m.

I really think pictures are necessary before you start telling someone to call a z28 fmv scrap price

Stampie
2/16/20 8:09 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Blown engine that used to be 230hp and the curb weight is 3377.  Not exactly a ringer. 

drewkrew7
drewkrew7 New Reader
2/16/20 9:59 p.m.

1997, so full disclosure specs should be 285 and almost 3600 #. Convertible w/ automatic. Has some performance parts on it as it used to be my car a decade ago - strut tower bar, subframe connectors, 3.73 gears, longtube headers. That may alter some peoples' opinions, but I want to be honest. I'm always amazed at the deals people can score though and how much power some guys extract. VERY talented people in this forum and I am a shadetree wrench turner at best. ha

It's literally buried in my garage right now covered in totes of Christmas decorations, kids pool toys, etc as it's been a back-burner project. I'll gladly post pics once I dive back into it (first need to sell my old DD and another project)

It is a 23yr old car though with moldy interior (top doesn't seal), cracked dash, power locks/windows inop, so is A/C (granted not relevant to this competition, but is to avg person when appraising a vehicle). Factor in blown engine, small trans leak, 2 bad tires, busted taillight, baked on brake dust on wheels, and few patches of peeling paint and to the average person, it may very well be scrap value. I wholeheartedly understand that to a group of guys like us, we can find the potential though and that may alter value. 

Patrick
2/17/20 4:15 p.m.

I'd say closer to $500 than scrap

slowbird
slowbird Dork
2/17/20 5:53 p.m.

I'd say 400-500 bucks.

drewkrew7
drewkrew7 New Reader
2/17/20 7:30 p.m.

Outta curiosity, what's scrap? $250-300? I haven't called a yard yet.

Unfortunately this won't be a dedicated challenge car, so I'm not hacking it up. That certainly limits my competitiveness, but I just want to have fun and hopefully not DNF. I need it to maybe compete in CAM-C, but will DEFINITELY be used on public roads to take my wife to lunch on a nice day! Otherwise the financing for this entire deal won't get approved. Ha

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve HalfDork
2/17/20 7:42 p.m.

$450.

I searched CL and Facebook: This one runs, $800. Found some in worse shape with stupid prices, one for $500 but parting out. So $450 is fair. Trust me I wish I could say $200 cause the budget is a serious part of the challenge.  I am still looking for a good price on the right vehicle for my next challenge build. I have one in mind and every sample I see is $2000 right now leaving me nothing to build with.

A complete car, $1550 budget, rockauto and pick n pull should net you a great first time entry.

I made a nice first entry, not fast, not powerful, not super agile. I am changing my build theory for the next one.

Get the first build under your belt, go, get hooked, and when you see how others are doing it you'll get it and be better with your second build.

Stampie
2/17/20 8:15 p.m.

I looked up my yard today and it was $332.  Private party would be more especially if you have aftermarket parts on it.  I say take everything above and come up with what you think. Tell us what you want to value it at and see if 5 of us agree with you. 

Patrick
2/17/20 8:25 p.m.

For reference i paid 700 for a non running 94 z28 with c5 18" wheels all around and nice 15" wheels with usable drag radials.  No nice anything otherwise.   It took an opti to get it running.  So minus the wheels and some extra junk from that 700 but plus a few nice aftermarket bits is how i come up with $500ish.  

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
2/17/20 9:31 p.m.

I just bought. 93 Z28 for $300. 

FWIW, It would have scrapped out for $213 in my area

Justjim75
Justjim75 Dork
2/18/20 11:16 a.m.

I have most if not all of the parts you need for engine and a rebuilt 700r4 with upgrades.  In Alabama. I was ready to say $350 until the last 5 posts or so.  I recently bought a running Caprice wagon with new tires for $250 and drove home with the AC on, FWIW.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/20 3:48 p.m.

So what is the OP going to do here.  Take all the prices given and divide by the total number of prices to get an average?  This is relative to my interests because I also have a  free car from my sister & brother in-law.  (BTW, this IS all said JOKINGLY!)

Tom Suddard
2/20/20 3:58 p.m.

OP needs to budget the car at fair market value. The $2000 Challenge rules give a number of ways to do so, and OP can choose whichever one he likes. There is no dividing/averaging. 

$2000 Challenge Rules Said:

Any inside deals—parts, whole cars, trades, donations, stolen parts, etc.—must be added to the budget at fair market value.

All fair market values used must be proved in your build book with supporting documentation. Ways to prove fair market value include:

• Copies of corporate listings of similar items for sale.

• Copies of at least three comparable listings from a peer-to-peer selling website (eBay, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.)

• A copy of a GRM message board thread where at least 5 users with more than 50 posts have agreed with a proposed fair market value for your item.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/20/20 4:26 p.m.

Tom, thank you!

Stampie
2/20/20 5:15 p.m.

If doing the board thing I'd suggest coming to the board with "I want to FMV this at $X because of A, B, and C."  Much easier to get an agreement to a value that way instead of several people throwing out different values. 

Tom Suddard
2/20/20 7:49 p.m.

Yep, agreed. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X9P9nZFm1URhmO2SI6u3fziOjFMYF95ggWJKQM9ahLSKAVc2SXJdCLpnqTEPgBkr