Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 9:06 p.m.

I want this so, so badly to put on an autocross special E-Mod style, but I can live vicariously I guess. I really don't think it will go for much more than this as no title, no VIN, and no chassis makes it literally parts, but...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/ferrari-250-gt-body/

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/7/21 9:08 p.m.

That definitely needs a Miata and a V8 under it.

1/7/21 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C (Forum Supporter) :

Yes. With flares.

Alternateively, a flame-spitting rotary.

The comments are fun. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/7/21 9:51 p.m.

I'm guessing it sells for 5 figures.

The0retical (Forum Supporter)
The0retical (Forum Supporter) UberDork
1/7/21 10:06 p.m.

I bet it sells for more than the infamous plywood wheeled Porsche back when BAT was actively trying to ruin the price of 911's.

Pic for posterity.

johndej
johndej Dork
1/7/21 10:14 p.m.
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/7/21 11:27 p.m.

I bet it still goes for over five.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/8/21 9:27 a.m.

wheelbase is a little off but otherwise almost all proportions should fit a c4 vette rollerskate pretty darn well. c5 is much closer on wheelbase but is a bit wide. So consider box flares if you go that route. 

This body on a c5 chassis would be legit. 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/8/21 11:55 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

This body on a lifted S-Blazer 4wd chassis would be legit. 

there's no wrong answer here.

New York Nick
New York Nick GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/8/21 12:03 p.m.

I would think someone could put this back together to look like a 250GT but with a different chassis and running gear. Something like a Locost chassis modified to fit this and the body just hangs on it ala stock car. The cut lines look pretty good, a TIG and an amazing amount of body work and I would think this could be put back together for the kind of money a lot of people could scratch together. 

I guess that being said you could probably do it wrong 100 ways and right only 1 way.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/8/21 12:52 p.m.

I take it back that Porsche 928 for $800 might be good at that price after all.  Use it to donate as much as possible to make this thing live again.  Can you imagine the heads rolling at a Cars & Caffeinated Bourgeoisie event when you open the hood on a Ferrari and there's a Porsche V8 under the hood?

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
1/8/21 2:48 p.m.

So much for a challenge price...

$3500 and counting. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/8/21 7:52 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm guessing it sells for 5 figures.

Already at 10k!

People are nuts.

jfryjfry (FS)
jfryjfry (FS) Dork
1/9/21 7:00 p.m.

So it looks like this was a complete car and the owner sent the engine to Italy where it got stolen. I didn't see or just missed how the body came off of the frame but what is perplexing is why the body would've been cut into four pieces. Was it along the lines of warranty claims with large items that the manufacturer doesn't want to deal with and instruct the owner to destroy?

1/9/21 8:58 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry (FS) :

Welcome to the wonderful and nefarious world of vintage Ferrari! The original car isn't worth "much" in the context of 50's/60's Ferrari models, but has all the same "bones" as the ones that do (250 Lusso, GTO, etc) It was super popular there for awhile to take the chassis and drivetrains to make a rarer Ferrari and scrap the body (hence the cut into 4 pieces) as the VIN/title is all tied to the chassis number. Thanks to factory rebodies, spotty record keeping, and the fog of time, it's really difficult to prove most old Ferraris are actually what they claim to be. There are numerous cases of two Ferraris sporting the same chassis number and provenance, and in a few cases they are legitimate (Car 1234 was rebodied at the factory from model a into model b, the OE 1234 chassis now has a new body. Meanwhile the old body sits around long enough to be worth $$$ put back together, gains a donor chassis and becomes car 1234 again with the original body with verifiable paperwork trail. So which one is really car 1234?) especially any chassis that raced.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/14/21 4:31 p.m.

THIRTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLAROOS!

That's enough to buy half of the challenge field.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X9cPNapqP0h47qVC8bZcuXjyXBD1DeoJF3Mh7Ypi9RhphqxMMpEEg3gTj9HbXH9N