Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/22/21 4:02 p.m.

So, i need a four speed gm trans for my challenge car. I have a world class t5 for trade fodder, but its a fourth gen 3800 unit so pretty specific. 

Im not picky on what trans, but has to be cheap. Prefer closer ratio stuff, like Saginaw/muncie/t10. Cant use the giant truck stuff, and it's geared all wrong anyway. 

Cheap is 300 or less with shifter. Would really prefer under 100, but beggars can't be choosers. 

Prefer grm relay to get it to me if possible.  Slim pickings around me in Charlotte, honestly. Especially at the price i need.

So, anyone? I can PayPal cash to you to pay for it with, etc. We can work out the details as we go. 

And, since everyone likes pictures,  heres what its needed for. 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/22/21 4:17 p.m.

A 4+3, or normal bellhousing pattern t5 would also do. Or...

Regardless, it needs to mate up to a standard four speed bellhousing bolt pattern. 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/22/21 4:49 p.m.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/240283551487642/?ref=facebook_story_share

This is ~15 min from me.  If you make a deal I can pick it up and hold it.  After Christmas I can get it anywhere along a line from Champaign IL to Boston Ma.  

Upon relook this is probably one of those "heavy truck trans" you are avoiding

That said I can offer that transportation assistance.   Or pick and hold anything you find in central Illinois.

Dusterbd13-michael
11/22/21 5:18 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Thanks!

It is, unfortunately, exactly the heavy truck Saginaw i was referring to. 

But, hopefully ill take you up on the relay with another one!

obsolete
obsolete GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/22/21 5:49 p.m.

I have a non-WC T5 out of an '84 Camaro Z28. 2.95 / 1.94 / 1.34 / 1.00 / 0.73 ratios. Some assembly required. If there's room for $150 in your challenge budget, PM/email me for the full details.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/22/21 7:55 p.m.

What kind of budget number are we working to?

Dusterbd13-michael
11/22/21 8:09 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

300 or less. Preferably a lot less. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/22/21 8:12 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

How about that $25 T-5 listed over in the parts for sale section, that secretariata has?  Sounds like you need it more than I do.

Dusterbd13-michael
11/22/21 9:00 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

What's funny about that is its the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Camaro t5 i have,  which doesn't have a realistically available challenge bellhousing to mate to an ls. Or id have solved this already. Theres a possibility that i can use an offset flywheel, then build a 1/4 plate adapter for the two patterns to make it work. But that is adding a lot of failure points into the system, and defeating some design intentions. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
11/22/21 9:10 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
11/22/21 9:41 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

What's funny about that is its the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Camaro t5 i have,  which doesn't have a realistically available challenge bellhousing to mate to an ls. Or id have solved this already. Theres a possibility that i can use an offset flywheel, then build a 1/4 plate adapter for the two patterns to make it work. But that is adding a lot of failure points into the system, and defeating some design intentions. 

I have a SBC Bell housing from an early 90's Camaro that mates up to a T-5.  Would that help? It's been sitting for over 17 years unused.

barefootskater (Shaun)
barefootskater (Shaun) PowerDork
11/22/21 11:58 p.m.

Post up everywhere. Last year I saw an ad on CL (yup, it still exists, kinda) for a guy with a manual gm truck that wanted an auto conversion. He needed a short tail th350, which is what I had. Dude straight traded a Saginaw 4 speed, bellhousing, starter, real hurst shifter, wilwood hydraluics, and flywheel, for a completely unknown th350. And it was only 40 minutes up the road. Put a want ad on FB, CL, make up some flyers and stack them at local parts houses and hardware stores. There's something out there, and probably not too far away. Good luck!

Dusterbd13-michael
11/23/21 5:24 a.m.

Yes. Like that!

How close are you? 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/23/21 5:25 a.m.

Unfortunately, the t5 i have already uses the mount pattern that your Ford t5 does, so it doesn't really het me anywhere. Additionally, it ises the smaller flywheel as well, so couldn't use it on an ls...

Dusterbd13-michael
11/23/21 5:27 a.m.

Friend of mine sent me a number to a guy he met at the parts  store that has a "cheap Saginaw with a hust shifter" priced at make an offer. Im going to try to get up there Friday (two hours away) .we may have a solution, but im not holding my breath. 

Dusterbd13-michael
11/23/21 6:08 a.m.

In reply to obsolete :

I appreciate the offer! I think that with the world class trans being marginal for application, the non world class t5 will be a hand grenade with the pin pulled. But, im going to keep it in mind!

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/21 6:46 a.m.

What do you want for the Trans to sell it?  I could use it as a spare.

Dusterbd13-michael
11/23/21 6:47 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

A Saginaw? laugh

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
11/23/21 9:23 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Yes. Like that!

How close are you? 

I'm about 90 miles away. ShawneeCreek lives near the seller though, you could PM him if you decide to buy it. If he can't help I could go get it and hold it for you..

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/23/21 10:42 a.m.

So, I would not mind being involved in this deal if somebody wants cash and does not want the wc t5. 

Basically, if yall trade and don't want it, I'll buy the t5 from the tradee. 

I think this would still be on the up and up with challenge rules.

Basically, me purchasing the T5 would happen after the trade. 

In other words, I don't have a Saginaw.  I would like this t5 (it's pretty specific and I have one in my racecar and rx8 project, so a spare would be good).  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4RlGyLCw72lcpPJjiIug7LRQFuBo5OEKkUF3FELdpJZmW9Yvl7ANCRqBxpV1AEAG