1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/5/22 7:34 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I've attended a few times, always as part of the parking lot build or fielding somebody else's car- and I've been thinking hard since the beginning of this thread about what would get me to build and enter my own car.

The answer might be nothing and that no amount of rules changes would make the build/don't build decision for me, just outside circumstances.  But more parking lot builds and things like that that condense all of the effort and time investment into the same weekend help immensely, a single event effort for a single event car, effectively.  No idea if that will spark a useful thought in anybody, I don't think I have a solution.

I'm in the same boat, really the rules have not and will not really change me attending.

What I need is 3 weeks off in October, no pandemic, and everyone healthy. Rule changes aren't gonna help that.

None of that stops me from having a challenge car I could use right away and has competed, another I started but never finished and a $100 MR2 that I should bring as well.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/5/22 8:10 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

The challenge needs more MR2!

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/5/22 8:34 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I've attended a few times, always as part of the parking lot build or fielding somebody else's car- and I've been thinking hard since the beginning of this thread about what would get me to build and enter my own car.

The answer might be nothing and that no amount of rules changes would make the build/don't build decision for me, just outside circumstances.  But more parking lot builds and things like that that condense all of the effort and time investment into the same weekend help immensely, a single event effort for a single event car, effectively.  No idea if that will spark a useful thought in anybody, I don't think I have a solution.

You want some Junkyard Wars? 'Cause this is how you get Junkyard Wars.

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/5/22 8:53 p.m.
gumby said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Yes, yes I do want Junkyard Wars!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/5/22 8:58 p.m.
karplus2 said:
gumby said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Yes, yes I do want Junkyard Wars!

Wait, is junkyard wars an option? Can we do that? 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
1/6/22 7:10 a.m.

I've definitely said at least a few times that we should do a team parking lot build-off, with captains and picking people like we're playing kickball.  Hoopes' house vs. Stampie's house Junkyard Wars has also been suggested.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 8:47 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

What you trying to say about my house?  But my house would totally win.

AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter)
AWSX1686 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/22 8:54 a.m.

I've been 3 times now. First with Dave's old spitfire in 2017, fought issues the whole time, but had a good time. Then in 2019 and 2021 with my brother running a mostly stock car each year. Not many issues to speak of and allowed us to interact and help with the parking lot build. 

For me and future challenge attendance, I likely won't bring my own car again unless it's a car I have that can make the 13 hour drive on it's own (no trailer), even in exhibition is fine. I also know I likely won't make it to the 2022 event because of a date conflict. 

That said, I love the parking lot build stuff, teaming up to build the best thing possible last minute. (That's also not really my problem to deal with later, hahaha.) A bigger version like junkyard wars or whatever would be sweet. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/6/22 9:31 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

What you trying to say about my house?  But my house would totally win.

Bring it on!

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/6/22 11:31 a.m.

How many 220v hook ups are there in the parking lot? 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
1/6/22 11:52 a.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Depends on how many generators people bring...

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
1/6/22 1:12 p.m.
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

0... I've checked Lord how I checked. Hotel has one parking lot wrenching area accessable 110v plug

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/6/22 5:15 p.m.
MrJoshua said:
Stampie said:

I like how Tom said hey no slicks.  Then said ok we'll rethink that but we need more teams to make the Challenge work.  That turned into 16 pages of rules tossing around.

With very little solid justification on how any of it would bring new people in. 

Agreed with both of you. 

But even more importantly, there has been no response to the question of whether the Challenge even serves GRM needs any more, or creates the editorial content they need to meet the needs of their target audience. 

It's all moot until they decide that. 

Stampie
1/6/22 5:30 p.m.

So 2022 is staying the same rules right?  Cause I have $2500 in budget exempt stuff to order for my half budget build.

In reply to Stampie :

Lol I'm not done suggesting logical, but fairly ridiculous rules proposals. Such as, items procured via sponsorship should be exempt instead of FMV, as if a business feels that you're generating enough exposure for them to commit their money or products to your efforts, then your vehicle is also promoting the event itself and will possibly lead to an increased number of entries. 

Stampie
1/6/22 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Hold please while I file my incorporation papers in Delware.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/6/22 6:56 p.m.

By that logic is someone wanted to donate an F1 car to Team Zoomboni I could just run it as-is.   

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/6/22 7:00 p.m.
KyAllroad said:

By that logic is someone wanted to donate an F1 car to Team Zoomboni I could just run it as-is.   

If it gets an F1 car to autocross and I get to watch-I'm all for it. An F1 car should be the next-"because it's cool!" exemption.

In reply to KyAllroad :

EXACTLY 

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/7/22 9:38 a.m.

It's a neat idea, hard to see the upside for them however.  If their car wins: awesome, you spent 5 million dollars to be slightly faster than $2000 cars.  But if they lose....

And to truly derail this thread, what race series vehicle would actually do well at the Challenge?  I honestly don't think there is much out there built for road racing that would autocross well.  An F1 car might be able to turn a 10 second 1/4 mile but would actually struggle with the size and "tightness" of an autocross course.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
1/7/22 9:59 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

It's a neat idea, hard to see the upside for them however.  If their car wins: awesome, you spent 5 million dollars to be slightly faster than $2000 cars.  But if they lose....

And to truly derail this thread, what race series vehicle would actually do well at the Challenge?  I honestly don't think there is much out there built for road racing that would autocross well.  An F1 car might be able to turn a 10 second 1/4 mile but would actually struggle with the size and "tightness" of an autocross course.

Any of the race series cars classed in BMod

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/7/22 10:25 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

AMod

KyAllroad
KyAllroad MegaDork
1/7/22 10:28 a.m.

In reply to MrJoshua :

That's not a race series.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/7/22 10:43 a.m.

Most of the "Unlimited" Time Trial cars could be adjusted to do quite well at Autox.  Realize most of them are Vettes, V8 Miatas, RX8s, STis, EVOs and other cars that typically do well at Autox and clearly have the HP to make it down a Drag strip quickly (with adjustments).  

Not many challenge cars would even be competitive in D/Emod Autox despite potentially not even being legal for those classes.  So any Nationally competitive D/Emod car that can pass NHRA tech would probably clean house.     I would love to see Pink Panther come down and see what times it would run.  I know my Subaru is currently slower then my MG which is not competitive in DMod nationally and I ran a time 1 second off FTD in the Subaru at the challenge.  

That's not a knock at Challenge cars.  People don't spend money for speed just because.  Race cars don't use carbon fiber because it's expensive they use it because it's best.  It just happens to be expensive.  Race cars don't use $3000 worth of AN lines for a dry sump system because it looks blingy they use it because it's the best for long term use.  

I would love to see what speed gap money gets.  It's important though to recognize how hard it is to get incremental gains in speed and not make a big deal if the gap isn't as big as you'd expect.  Look at PAX for HS vs SS a competive car in HS is about $15k in SS it can be as much as $180K.  That 10x price increase buys you on average a 3.5% faster lap time.  

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/7/22 11:11 a.m.
KyAllroad said:

In reply to MrJoshua :

That's not a race series.

But it can be raced/autocrossed outside of the challenge.

1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20

This topic is locked. No further posts are being accepted.

Our Preferred Partners
AwzFQabvY4SsPvvs97lNyjDICDuvHHXxqAlwcGJ2YlYCwWx4b151CvXA2QVDXGCt