1 2
DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
4/25/20 6:58 a.m.

Does anyone know what the fastest "all motor" Challenge pass is? No nitrous,no turbo, no supercharger? Who? When?

I don't know the answer...this thought came to me at 3:00 AM....like most of the other "important" thoughts I have.

Dunno. I'm sure it's one of the nelson's creations. Did the datsun have spray? You can check out last year's times here though:

 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g9m0WVLD_7OTtvuH0oEDS_Muv6iAu-hrIKiLv7plyCk/edit#gid=0

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/25/20 7:36 a.m.

I've often wondered this.  Lots/all of the really fast stuff is turbo/nitrous.  In 2016 i made a 12.3 no bottle pass in my datsun

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
4/25/20 8:31 a.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress (Forum Supporter) :

The Datsun had nitrous. I'm not up on some of Andrew's earlier creations, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were one of his cars.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
4/25/20 8:43 a.m.

Well, Calvin says Bugzilla 10.396 @ 124 mph. I should have asked there first.smiley

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
5/3/20 7:19 a.m.

my v8 240sx all motor went 12.8 @109

 

sanyarcosean
sanyarcosean HalfDork
5/4/20 7:28 a.m.

99.9% sure the Nova was all motor back in 2004. ( Andrew and company's first car ) I think we ran a 10.86?  Andy, Little help here?  LOL

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/4/20 7:57 a.m.

In reply to sanyarcosean :

nova went 10.55 IIRC

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/11/20 4:38 p.m.

We have details on many aspects of the event.  Hope sharing this does not come across the wrong way

Rank Finish # Team Rep Year Manu Model ET Event  
1 6 7 Andrew Nelson 1974 Datsun 260Z 9.521 2017 Nitrous
2 7 7 Calvin Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 9.847 2019 Turbo
3 1 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 Volkswagen Beetle 10.263 2016 Nitrous
4 1 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.396 2015 NA
5 2 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.571 2008 NA
6 9 7 Andrew Nelson 1974 Datsun 260Z 10.572 2006 NA
*** 2 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.582 2011 NA
7 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1977 Chevy Nova 10.659 2004 NA
8 9 7 Andrew Nelson 1969 MG MGB 10.678 2010 NA
9 3 7 Andrew Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 10.776 2014 Nitrous
10 2 10 Matt Step 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage GT 10.820 2010 Turbo
11 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 Volkswagen Beetle 10.821 2009 NA
12 6 57 Calvin Nelson 1963 Studebaker Lark 10.924 2019 Turbo
13 1 14 Stephen DeFayette 1988 Mazda RX-7 10.926 2006 Nitrous
14 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 VW Beetle 10.950 2013 NA
15 4 57 Calvin Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 11.010 2017 Turbo
16 1 50 Ed Malle 1987 Ford Mustang 11.031 2014 Nitrous
17 2 49 Ed Malle 1987 Ford Mustang 11.103 2013 Nitrous
18 2 53 Ed Malle 1995 Ford Mustang 11.15 2019 Turbo
19 1 63 Erik Lawson   Datsun 280Zx 11.19 2004 Nitrous
20 4 08 Vince Coleman 1969 MG B 11.249 2014 NA
21 1 8 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow ES 11.319 2013 Turbo
22 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1962 Fiat 118G 11.465 2005 NA
23 13 68 Matt Step 1989 Plymouth Colt E 11.468 2006 Turbo
24 3 63 Erik Lawson   Datsun 280ZX 11.486 2003 Nitrous
25 4 37 Matt Step 1990 Plymouth Colt 11.567 2008 Turbo
26 5 57 Calvin Nelson 1963 Studebaker Lark 11.622 2016 NA
27 2 2 Cliff Sebring   Dodge Omni 11.629 2003 Turbo
28 4 45 Stephen DeFayette 1988 Mazda RX7 11.632 2005 Unk
29 2 95 Ed Malle 1995 Ford Mustang 11.636 2017 Turbo
30 4 21 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Aries 11.640 2010 Turbo
31 1 58 Jeremy Butts 1988 Mazda RX7 11.676 2005 Unk
32 1   Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Aries 11.694 2012 Turbo
33 5 18 Nathan Crisman 1990 Eagle Talon TSi 11.737 2004 Unk
34 6 25 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow 11.745 2008 Turbo
35 2 22 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow 11.750 2009 Turbo
36 9 17 Steve Cammick   Ford Mustang 11.797 2004 Unk
37 1 75 Adam Jabaay 1988 Honda CRX 11.840 2009 Unk
38 3 99 Cliff Sebring   Dodge GLH 11.846 2005 Turbo
39 5 67 Matt Step 1990 Eagle Talon Tsi 11.954 2005 Turbo
40 3 47 Lon Zeigler 1969 MG B 11.957 2016 NA
41 2 0 Cliff Sebring   Dodge Omni 11.959 2004 Turbo
42 3 75 Adam Jabaay 1988 Honda CRX 11.987 2008 Unk
43 4 21 Matt Wojtkowiak 1994 Pontiac Trans Am 11.994 2013 Unk
44 5 17 Cliff Sebring 1996 Plymouth Neon 11.998 2015 Nitrous

Its just data

 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/20 4:50 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

wow. Does turbo include supercharged or have there really been no supercharged challenge cars in the 11s? I love all the data you keep on the event. 

Also, we might need a new sticker or something that says "its just data". I love it

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/11/20 5:04 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

wow. Does turbo include supercharged or have there really been no supercharged challenge cars in the 11s? I love all the data you keep on the event. 

Also, we might need a new sticker or something that says "its just data". I love it

Turbo. 
I would not recommend a supercharger for the challenge. 
 

and we know how to make them work...

but you have to kill so much timing do to the discharge temps. Without timing you kill power.  So you are forced to add a method to drop IATs. If you address that...you kill your budget. 
 

 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/11/20 5:30 p.m.

In for a "GRM It's Just Data" sticker!

I enjoy digging thru old results. Is there an official database, of is it all in the magazines and the Nelson's records?
Fastest N/A, turbo, n2o are there, but what about highest overall placing v8, 6cyl, or 4banger? Highest placing half budget? Etc, etc I could pour over old results for days...

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/11/20 6:06 p.m.

In reply to gumby :

We sent them our spread sheets a few years ago so that they had records to work with.  We did not track all the different awards. Primarily focused on the dynamics and Concour. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/20 6:56 p.m.
wheels777 said:

We have details on many aspects of the event.  Hope sharing this does not come across the wrong way

Rank Finish # Team Rep Year Manu Model ET Event  
1 6 7 Andrew Nelson 1974 Datsun 260Z 9.521 2017 Nitrous
2 7 7 Calvin Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 9.847 2019 Turbo
3 1 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 Volkswagen Beetle 10.263 2016 Nitrous
4 1 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.396 2015 NA
5 2 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.571 2008 NA
6 9 7 Andrew Nelson 1974 Datsun 260Z 10.572 2006 NA
*** 2 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.582 2011 NA
7 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1977 Chevy Nova 10.659 2004 NA
8 9 7 Andrew Nelson 1969 MG MGB 10.678 2010 NA
9 3 7 Andrew Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 10.776 2014 Nitrous
10 2 10 Matt Step 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage GT 10.820 2010 Turbo
11 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 Volkswagen Beetle 10.821 2009 NA
12 6 57 Calvin Nelson 1963 Studebaker Lark 10.924 2019 Turbo
13 1 14 Stephen DeFayette 1988 Mazda RX-7 10.926 2006 Nitrous
14 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 VW Beetle 10.950 2013 NA
15 4 57 Calvin Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 11.010 2017 Turbo
16 1 50 Ed Malle 1987 Ford Mustang 11.031 2014 Nitrous
17 2 49 Ed Malle 1987 Ford Mustang 11.103 2013 Nitrous
18 2 53 Ed Malle 1995 Ford Mustang 11.15 2019 Turbo
19 1 63 Erik Lawson   Datsun 280Zx 11.19 2004 Nitrous
20 4 08 Vince Coleman 1969 MG B 11.249 2014 NA
21 1 8 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow ES 11.319 2013 Turbo
22 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1962 Fiat 118G 11.465 2005 NA
23 13 68 Matt Step 1989 Plymouth Colt E 11.468 2006 Turbo
24 3 63 Erik Lawson   Datsun 280ZX 11.486 2003 Nitrous
25 4 37 Matt Step 1990 Plymouth Colt 11.567 2008 Turbo
26 5 57 Calvin Nelson 1963 Studebaker Lark 11.622 2016 NA
27 2 2 Cliff Sebring   Dodge Omni 11.629 2003 Turbo
28 4 45 Stephen DeFayette 1988 Mazda RX7 11.632 2005 Unk
29 2 95 Ed Malle 1995 Ford Mustang 11.636 2017 Unk
30 4 21 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Aries 11.640 2010 Turbo
31 1 58 Jeremy Butts 1988 Mazda RX7 11.676 2005 Unk
32 1   Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Aries 11.694 2012 Turbo
33 5 18 Nathan Crisman 1990 Eagle Talon TSi 11.737 2004 Unk
34 6 25 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow 11.745 2008 Turbo
35 2 22 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow 11.750 2009 Turbo
36 9 17 Steve Cammick   Ford Mustang 11.797 2004 Unk
37 1 75 Adam Jabaay 1988 Honda CRX 11.840 2009 Unk
38 3 99 Cliff Sebring   Dodge GLH 11.846 2005 Turbo
39 5 67 Matt Step 1990 Eagle Talon Tsi 11.954 2005 Turbo
40 3 47 Lon Zeigler 1969 MG B 11.957 2016 NA
41 2 0 Cliff Sebring   Dodge Omni 11.959 2004 Turbo
42 3 75 Adam Jabaay 1988 Honda CRX 11.987 2008 Unk
43 4 21 Matt Wojtkowiak 1994 Pontiac Trans Am 11.994 2013 Unk
44 5 17 Cliff Sebring 1996 Plymouth Neon 11.998 2015 Turbo

Its just data

 

Congratulations to Matt Step and Stephen DeFayette for making it into the 10's without being a Nelson laugh

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
5/11/20 7:28 p.m.

I think I'll just sell off my Challenge parts hoard and buy a new set of golf clubs...........

 

 

or, try and win next year's sub class, the "Non-Nelson" class.

 

 

or figure out how to 11.009 to make the "top 15" passes ever.  wink

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/11/20 9:11 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

How do golf clubs make a car faster?

Quit your quittin'. Pick your goal not the bench. 
 

10.999 or better!!!

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/11/20 9:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
wheels777 said:

We have details on many aspects of the event.  Hope sharing this does not come across the wrong way

Rank Finish # Team Rep Year Manu Model ET Event  
1 6 7 Andrew Nelson 1974 Datsun 260Z 9.521 2017 Nitrous
2 7 7 Calvin Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 9.847 2019 Turbo
3 1 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 Volkswagen Beetle 10.263 2016 Nitrous
4 1 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.396 2015 NA
5 2 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.571 2008 NA
6 9 7 Andrew Nelson 1974 Datsun 260Z 10.572 2006 NA
*** 2 7 Andrew Nelson 1968 Volkswagen Beetle 10.582 2011 NA
7 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1977 Chevy Nova 10.659 2004 NA
8 9 7 Andrew Nelson 1969 MG MGB 10.678 2010 NA
9 3 7 Andrew Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 10.776 2014 Nitrous
10 2 10 Matt Step 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage GT 10.820 2010 Turbo
11 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 Volkswagen Beetle 10.821 2009 NA
12 6 57 Calvin Nelson 1963 Studebaker Lark 10.924 2019 Turbo
13 1 14 Stephen DeFayette 1988 Mazda RX-7 10.926 2006 Nitrous
14 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1947 VW Beetle 10.950 2013 NA
15 4 57 Calvin Nelson 1980 Pontiac Sunbird 11.010 2017 Turbo
16 1 50 Ed Malle 1987 Ford Mustang 11.031 2014 Nitrous
17 2 49 Ed Malle 1987 Ford Mustang 11.103 2013 Nitrous
18 2 53 Ed Malle 1995 Ford Mustang 11.15 2019 Turbo
19 1 63 Erik Lawson   Datsun 280Zx 11.19 2004 Nitrous
20 4 08 Vince Coleman 1969 MG B 11.249 2014 NA
21 1 8 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow ES 11.319 2013 Turbo
22 11 7 Andrew Nelson 1962 Fiat 118G 11.465 2005 NA
23 13 68 Matt Step 1989 Plymouth Colt E 11.468 2006 Turbo
24 3 63 Erik Lawson   Datsun 280ZX 11.486 2003 Nitrous
25 4 37 Matt Step 1990 Plymouth Colt 11.567 2008 Turbo
26 5 57 Calvin Nelson 1963 Studebaker Lark 11.622 2016 NA
27 2 2 Cliff Sebring   Dodge Omni 11.629 2003 Turbo
28 4 45 Stephen DeFayette 1988 Mazda RX7 11.632 2005 Unk
29 2 95 Ed Malle 1995 Ford Mustang 11.636 2017 Turbo
30 4 21 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Aries 11.640 2010 Turbo
31 1 58 Jeremy Butts 1988 Mazda RX7 11.676 2005 Unk
32 1   Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Aries 11.694 2012 Turbo
33 5 18 Nathan Crisman 1990 Eagle Talon TSi 11.737 2004 Unk
34 6 25 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow 11.745 2008 Turbo
35 2 22 Patrick Culkin 1988 Dodge Shadow 11.750 2009 Turbo
36 9 17 Steve Cammick   Ford Mustang 11.797 2004 Unk
37 1 75 Adam Jabaay 1988 Honda CRX 11.840 2009 Unk
38 3 99 Cliff Sebring   Dodge GLH 11.846 2005 Turbo
39 5 67 Matt Step 1990 Eagle Talon Tsi 11.954 2005 Turbo
40 3 47 Lon Zeigler 1969 MG B 11.957 2016 NA
41 2 0 Cliff Sebring   Dodge Omni 11.959 2004 Turbo
42 3 75 Adam Jabaay 1988 Honda CRX 11.987 2008 Unk
43 4 21 Matt Wojtkowiak 1994 Pontiac Trans Am 11.994 2013 Unk
44 5 17 Cliff Sebring 1996 Plymouth Neon 11.998 2015 Nitrous

Its just data

 

Congratulations to Matt Step and Stephen DeFayette for making it into the 10's without being a Nelson laugh

I have said many times that Mr DeFayette's car is top 3 all time Challenge cars. He built a 10 second car that was a top A-x car and won overall in 2006. All when the budget rules were way tougher than today's rule set. 


I wish they would have finished the analysis on which was the best All Time Challenge build. Statistically, that was easy to identify. But that included normalizing the A-x times. Regardless of the hair splits Stephan's RX-7 was amazing. 
 

and Westside car's......always inspiring!!!

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/11/20 9:39 p.m.

My first Challenge I wanted to dislike the Nelson's cause they were the fast ones.

Wound up talking to this nice dude, who wound up being, yup, Andrew Nelson. Lol.

Now if the Nelson's figure out the curve thingy we will have to worry.

laugh

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/11/20 10:21 p.m.

In reply to Bent-Valve (FS) :

Of the 8 different Challenge cars we have brought, 3 have been top 10 Auto-X efforts and Bugzilla ran 2nd in 2011. We just have a few more goals before we refocus on that discipline again... and more intently. 

Bent-Valve (FS)
Bent-Valve (FS) HalfDork
5/12/20 6:48 a.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Just finished watching your latest build video on the PACCwards and read the first half of the build thread.

Holy Hot Hatch Batman! Nice work.

We should probably worry and get back to work building!

 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
5/12/20 7:03 a.m.

"It's just data" he says, while constructing a car designed specifically to remove the Mirage GT from the top 10 while simultaneously claiming the fastest FWD title at the challenge cheeky

I am always in awe of the Nelson cars at the drags.  The image of the yellow coupe and the Studebaker lining up and simultaneously running unthinkably fast on their first passes in 2016 will forever be burned into my memory.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/12/20 7:05 a.m.
Bent-Valve (FS) said:

In reply to wheels777 :

Just finished watching your latest build video on the PACCwards and read the first half of the build thread.

Holy Hot Hatch Batman! Nice work.

We should probably worry and get back to work building!

 

Hope you enjoyed the video, liked and subscribed.  Calvin has a few more vids in the works.  The PACCwards stuff didn't get a lot of results so he dropped it.  Hopefully the change in format goes over well.  If so he.ll get more vids rolling.  The original format seamed to work well with the 4200 stuff and it clearly got the most action.

As far as getting busy....ahhh...Yaaaaaa.....life is too short to worry about the two  goofy clowns in York. 

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
5/12/20 7:08 a.m.

It just came to me that the OP was asking a specific question.  Where do you want this thread to go?  Should it morf into a challenge drag race thread?  Or are you hoping for more info on the NA efforts for your car? 

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 7:38 a.m.

It makes me very angry that i'm the guy that's a hair outside that list looking in.  I hate my 12.001 so much.  I should do something about that 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/20 8:38 a.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

It makes me very angry that i'm the guy that's a hair outside that list looking in.  I hate my 12.001 so much.  I should do something about that 

Angry enough to build a corvair?

But to paraphrase the mighty ducks, you could have been a 12.003.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
D9bBYCLRUeYMUajdQ8NWm84EyJcpIAmGy6ir0U9N3SrKGHd6M4IybkDd9IrHHDJX