1 2 3
rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/2/22 1:14 p.m.

I am so disappointed someone beat me to this...

Screw Gas, Drive A Drill-Powered Electric Suicide Trike

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
11/2/22 2:52 p.m.
rich911s said:

10.  Each vehicle is allowed 3 timed runs.  Winners are determined by shortest elapsed time across timing lights, spaced 20 ft apart.

I'd prefer this.  Shorts time start to finish becomes accel competition, not speed.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/2/22 3:21 p.m.

So after this gets us thrown out of Gainsville where are we doing the challenge?

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/2/22 4:53 p.m.
Byrneon27 said:

So after this gets us thrown out of Gainsville where are we doing the challenge?

Exactly. On the Zoom call, we briefly discussed this and anything like this will have to be cleared by GRM, Gainesville Raceway, AND both of their insurance companies. 

Also, my vote is for one, unaltered 5aH battery. Buzzkill I know, but it should keep speeds down to a non-lethal level.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/2/22 6:05 p.m.

Like I love bad ideas and going fast but I our redneckiest of rednecks around here with little understanding of electrical hot rodding, 300' of run up and no requirements for it not to be on fire at the finish could put something pretty fast together, add to this I assure you I'll be hammered drunk for any sort of pit bike race and we have a potential safety problem. 

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/2/22 6:30 p.m.

5AH!  So much for all the smoke, fire, and mayhem.  IMHO the drills will likely burn up very quickly once ~36V is exceeded under load.  The internal wiring is was not designed to dissipate that kind of heat.  I'm wondering if they have any internal protection circuits or not?  Pretty sure they still use brushed motors.  If anyone has any knowledge or experience with the drills pls chime in.     

RE: getting approval - heck yeah.  We would need official sanctioning for sure.  Though for insurance purposes I don't see how it's any more dangerous than 75 people making crazy sketchy stuff and running it down a drag track at  100+ mph.  Or driving a bike, scooter, skateboard, hoverboard or couch, etc. around the paddock.  Seems like the most dangerous thing at the event was trying to cross the finish line of the autocross to get to the bathroom!  

automotiveflux
automotiveflux None
11/4/22 1:17 p.m.

Something like this was the first thing to come to mind, take the pedals off and you've got something

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/22 1:28 p.m.

I thought I was cool with 2 clutches, this thing has 20! 

18V Lithium 3/8 in. Cordless Drill Kit

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/22 1:28 p.m.

In reply to automotiveflux :

Yes, and how much air do you dare put in those tires? 100psi? 150?

I have a little bike I've been wanting to convert to electric pit bike status anyway, so this is relevant to my interests!

automotiveflux
automotiveflux New Reader
11/4/22 1:51 p.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

This isn't mine, just a picture from google. Appears to be from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGu4iFK9y3U

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/22 2:47 p.m.
automotiveflux said:

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

This isn't mine, just a picture from google. Appears to be from this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGu4iFK9y3U

either way, I still love the 'pneumatic throttle'

hobiercr
11/4/22 6:47 p.m.
hobiercr
11/4/22 6:56 p.m.

In reply to rich911s :

Looking at that trike for the 100th time I'm now thinking it looks really tough to steer.

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
11/10/22 7:49 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

Thank god it's not an autocross we're going to run!

Oapfu
Oapfu GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/11/22 6:11 p.m.

Random overthinking:

• solutions to timing or measuring top speed: y'all know there are GPS phone apps; GPS-based bike computers; or these are ~$70-80 GPS data recorders almost specifically designed for this type of activity
  • if size is an issue for transport to FL (e.g. an earlier comment about "fitting in a Miata trunk"), require that the thing has to fit w/in a box of specified dimensions, either collapsed or RTR (same idea as IPSC or USPSA competition has with a Standard Division measurement box).  WAY overly complicated: create some massively complex formula for an equalization factor based on vehicle size, driver weight, and whatever else...
  • less speed, maybe more safety (?): the competition is from zero to max speed and back to zero w/in a specified distance (it'll be easier to measure top speed using a cheap GPS, but ET requires only a stopwatch).  Or "down, around the cone, and back" (like the shuttle run from gym class)... with the 180deg turn causing as many rollovers as a Red Bull soapbox race.
  • allow asynchronous or remote participation? Post an uncut video using average of 2-way runs to account for a non-level road or wind.  (I have been watching too many RC top speed challenge vids).
  • observation: depending on local laws, 3 wheels or less with pedals somewhere qualifies as an e-bike, and can be used on any public road.  Unless then "street racing" type laws become applicable?  Get a "Tour de Fat" type of parade or festival permit?  I don't think creatively enough but pedal-bike-based drivetrain seems like the easy button, even if you add a flywheel or spring mechanism.  Any random cheapo 7-speed MTB freewheel gives you a relatively inexpensive/ light/ efficient way to get at least a 4:1 gear range.

These kinda take away the fun of drill power, but...

• how does a cordless circular saw compare to a drill? (cost, power, packaging)
  • with enough gearing, a brushless drone motor can power a bike.  At the opposite end of the power scale, a car alternator can be converted into a motor.
  • search Amazon for "replacement starter" under $25.  You could even get next-day prime delivery every time you let the smoke out of one... and some qualify for "subscribe and save"???  One example, sub-$30 delivered for  '3-bolt' chinese ATV starter + relay (and a wrench!):

barefootcyborg5000
barefootcyborg5000 PowerDork
11/12/22 12:50 a.m.

I mean, if the powers decide this isn't feasible for whatever reason, I still think we should or at least could do a remote competition. Standard drill/battery/gps, GoPro footage or similar. Honor system does leave some worry about the more competitive, but if we forgo prizes, and just pass(mail) around a trophy... I know the idea was for a side show at the Challenge, but it still sounds like a fun competition. And way cheaper than any other form of propelled land speed. 

JBinMD
JBinMD New Reader
11/25/22 11:57 a.m.
hobiercr said:

Oh, it's on.

edit: these things are surprisingly heavy.

A tube frame and wire wheels?  I like where you're going with that.  smiley

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/25/22 12:34 p.m.
hobiercr said:

In reply to barefootcyborg5000 :

I honestly think the drag strip will be too sticky.

I'm pretty sure I am the only person here who has ridden a single speed bicycle on the drag strip at Gainesville Speedway. 

It's absurdly sticky. As in, it was ridiculously hard to steer. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/25/22 12:40 p.m.

Is there a limit to how small the operator can be?

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/22 2:05 p.m.
SV reX said:

Is there a limit to how small the operator can be?

Youve been looking at the robotic camel jockeys Wally posted a few days ago, havent you

Nick Cheremsak
Nick Cheremsak New Reader
11/27/22 10:22 p.m.

So will it be included in the Challenge in 2023? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xIh501J4Ha78qm39K7IxdDLlmuUZbdrUE34dlfNRswS8pyCDQpCWgsLYJpOCP1u2