1 2 3
packrat
packrat New Reader
9/16/19 5:59 p.m.

So I’m still on the hunt for a personal budget friendly tire for my Gastropod.  Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about the Cosmo MM?  I found a new set from priority tire.  I can get two 225/40/18s and two 265/35/18s for $287.68 with free shipping.  They have 300AAA rating.  Any thought?

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/16/19 8:33 p.m.

In reply to packrat :

they're going to be slower than the PS4S and the Conti.. but the price is right... good lord are they CHEEEEEAP

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/16/19 8:43 p.m.

Thats a E36 M3load of stagger.  Well, actually 2 E36 M3loads.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/19/19 9:48 a.m.

Any tire called MuchoMacho is a must buy. cool

packrat
packrat New Reader
9/19/19 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

True statement.  I think I’m going to order them next week.

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
9/22/19 7:59 a.m.

How did the firestone indy 500s work?

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
9/22/19 10:40 a.m.

In reply to stan_d :

I have been happy with them on the street.  The autocross was canceled last weekend so no feedback yet as to how they handle being driven in anger.  They posted a faster lap on tirerack.com than the Conti ECS.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/27/19 1:43 p.m.

The Tire Rack has announced a $60 Visa card deal on the purchase of four Firestones, most models , including the Firehawk Indy 500.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/13/20 2:58 p.m.
pimpm3 said:

I was doing some research and it appears that the Firestone Indy 500 tire has a pretty good rating on www.tirerack.com.

I looked at the test results and it is faster around their test track than the Continental Extreme Contact Sport which seems to be the go to choice for Gastropods.

Continental ECS         30.46

Yokohama S-Drive     30.46

Firestone Indy 500      30.25

Falken RT615k+            29.83

Hankook RS4               29.50

pimpm3 - how do you like these?

I was just looking back at these Indy 500s for my current DD and I dug up these tests.  The above times are correct, but different conditions - 1 year apart so hardly conclusive.  The wet times tell a different story, the ECS is 3 seconds faster, which is pretty significant.

That said, I don't want to deal with the "dont use below 40 or you will die a horrible death" warning that comes with the ECS if possible.

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/13/20 4:39 p.m.

I have honestly not gotten to drive on them much unfortunately.  The car has been down for a motor swap for several months.

I did like them, for the short time I experienced them.

gumby (Forum Supporter)
gumby (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/13/20 5:09 p.m.

I bought a set of the Indy500's for Gastropods last year. Used them for less than a week and the car got totaled before Challenge. I have autoX'd on them a few times this season, but no street miles. I really like them for the limited use I have on them so far.

One day, they will make it onto my Tbird and actually get some miles....

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/13/20 6:04 p.m.

So basically, if I get them, I can expect my car to blow an engine or be totaled shortly after?

I feel like this should be the proper answer. 

white_fly
white_fly HalfDork
10/13/20 6:11 p.m.

I've driven about 12000 miles with Indy 500's on my 996. They have been good tires for the price. Feedback is very good, grip is pretty good, wear has been pretty good. They also look cool. That said, the price seems to be going up and they're not made of the magic that Michelin seems to bake into their rubber. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
10/13/20 6:15 p.m.
white_fly said:

I've driven about 12000 miles with Indy 500's on my 996. They have been good tires for the price. Feedback is very good, grip is pretty good, wear has been pretty good. They also look cool. That said, the price seems to be going up and they're not made of the magic that Michelin seems to bake into their rubber. 

Understood.  I have Pilot Super Sports on the car now.  They might have some magic in them, but they better for 52% more $.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/30/20 9:04 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) :

Going SR20DETT? 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Lc3yTFcbUDFKFHIeOznfXCLCf1vfPOVwaftjJsQShSWM2eLBUIpCLna5CYJ3ktCs