Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/23 9:14 p.m.

1)  I really really miss the slide show.  nocones might be cool and all but I want to see action photos.  No offense nocones.

2)  I miss the dinner awards banquet.  Yes it made the day longer but it's part of what I think made the event special.  It was also cool to see that most of us actually clean up well.  

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/28/23 10:02 p.m.

^ I agree with this guy

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/28/23 10:10 p.m.

The awards banquet has always been my favorite part

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
5/28/23 11:09 p.m.

We planned on a slide show this year (that's what those giant TVs in the trailer were for) but with JG getting sick it just wasn't feasible. Next year!

For an awards banquet, could we get 150 people to pay $75/each?

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/28/23 11:42 p.m.

Boy, that got quiet.

devil

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/23 7:08 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Well, they're too cheap to pay $35/ea for bbq delivered to the track to not have to worry about where dinner is coming from Saturday, so I doubt it. 

the banquet was a fun thing and I do miss it, but I think with as few of the over budget competitors that even bothered showing back up for sunday? It won't happen, and logistically speaking with the final day being sunday now instead of Saturday, lots of people leave after the concours to get home for work monday or partway home at least. For people within 5-6 hours it's feasible to take no PTO and head there Friday after work and home Sunday 

Stampie
5/29/23 9:29 a.m.

How about a simpler banquet at the track. Like that $35 bbq?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
5/29/23 9:35 a.m.

I think Stampie is right.

To me, the point of the award ceremony has nothing to do with a fancy meal at an expensive hotel. I have no need for that.

The point of the banquet is the opportunity to sit with friends after the competition is over, give somebody a microphone, and all share some great laughs and recognize each other's achievements (and mishaps). 

It could easily be done at the track. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/23 10:07 a.m.
Stampie said:

Yes 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/29/23 10:41 a.m.

The GT alumni crew ended up going to Sonny's down the road anyway on Saturday before drags. It didn't take that long and was still a good time for camaraderie. I guess what I'm saying is you don't need GRM to manage this part of the weekend. We can do whatever we want. We could even get our own takeout and eat at the pavilion if we planned ahead.

FWIW I like going home Sunday afternoon after awards. That's a good system logistically for many.

wae
wae PowerDork
5/29/23 10:50 a.m.

I loved the banquet back at the hotel on Saturday night.  But I also loved getting on the road back home from the track early.  Based on the original schedule, we were going to leave right after awards and stop for the night just north of Atlanta.  Since the awards were well ahead of schedule, we were able to stretch it and get home in one sitting.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/23 11:34 a.m.
maschinenbau said:
Stampie said:

Yes 

Yes

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
5/29/23 4:58 p.m.

Combine dinner and town hall with sunburn relief treatment?

Stampie
5/29/23 5:03 p.m.

In reply to QuasiMofo (John Brown) :

Meant to tell you.  Get some aloe cream.

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
5/29/23 5:11 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Yeah... I will eventually. Need to get home.

Toot
Toot Reader
5/29/23 7:58 p.m.

Don't mind the $35 either........eat with friends or on the ride home alone.  Easy decision for us. 

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
5/30/23 12:43 a.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Not a bad idea at all. I mean heck, with the event ending in the afternoon the oast few years it could just be a late lunch. The trackside food isnt bad either and at ~18 dollars for a combo meal, we could just give the track more business and have them provide the food for 20-25 a person? Many folks ate there between concours and awards anyway.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/23 8:38 a.m.

Not a fan of fried track food. 

wae
wae PowerDork
5/30/23 9:38 p.m.

Here's another topic...  How about asking CRC to use better vinyl for their sticker?  Every other bit of vinyl is coming off fine, but theirs is leaving me with this industrial grade residue that is taking way more effort to clean off the paint than it has any right to.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/31/23 10:28 a.m.
wae said:

Here's another topic...  How about asking CRC to use better vinyl for their sticker?  Every other bit of vinyl is coming off fine, but theirs is leaving me with this industrial grade residue that is taking way more effort to clean off the paint than it has any right to.

Ironically, those CRC stickers were the ones that peeled easiest 5.5 years after the 2017 Challenge. BTW, getting stickers off and dealing with the goo is the reason I put the stickers in the rear door window instead of on the paint this time around.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/31/23 10:40 a.m.

Also, about Town Hall discussion that didn't happen... This doesn't effect me personally (at least right now), but I had discussions with a couple competitors that replica bodies don't meet the rules regarding "Eligible vehicles" because they weren't technically "production-based."  Is this correct?  I suppose I just don't see a significant enough difference between a Meyers Manx body and any number of similar/replica dune buggy bodies. Same for something like a Lambo Countach replica body. Admittedly, I do see how allowing such replicas could open the rules to home-brewed shenanigans, so maybe best to just leave it alone after all.

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/23 10:48 a.m.

In reply to wae :

CRC makes a great clear coat safe adhesive remover...

Stampie
5/31/23 11:39 a.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

That is addressed in this rule:

Vehicles may either retain production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, or they may use a tubular frame provided they retain the production body.

If the vehicle uses a tubular frame, then modification of production exterior bodywork is only allowed provided the end result is substantially similar in general appearance to the original vehicle. Sweet box flares are specifically allowed.

If the vehicle retains production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures, then exterior bodywork modification is unlimited, provided no safety rules are violated. Production frame rails or equivalent unibody structures may be modified to alter a vehicle’s wheelbase.

TLDR my take is use the production body with sweet box flares and you can tube frame it.  Use production frame rails or their unibody equivalent structures and you can do unlimited body mods.  That's what Gumby and them did with Brad.  They used the Panther frame rails and could do whatever they wanted with the body.

Edit - Rules nerds like me love when they read the word "unlimited".

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/1/23 8:44 a.m.
wae said:

Buy yourself some rapid remover. Seriously, its magic. https://amzn.to/42j06pu 

A vinyl wrap buddy of mine turned me onto it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v0R8JCMd3ZKPgtOugFTrKtrZZUSEwplKszjJSMs8S3icoc1dgxRRdgx99OycIUZA