AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/22 12:57 p.m.

berkeley, that was the one award I was really gunning for.  When did it go away?

cruisermatt
cruisermatt Reader
11/1/22 1:01 p.m.

it's being saved it for the lotus Europa next year

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/22 1:09 p.m.
cruisermatt said:

I didn't realize there was a "Second-Best Engineered". That's good though, as it gives the Europa something to aim for.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/22 1:16 p.m.

I got it last year with the LMP360.  This year it was not an award.   So I guess it went away in 2021.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/1/22 2:06 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:
cruisermatt said:

I didn't realize there was a "Second-Best Engineered". That's good though, as it gives the Europa something to aim for.

I think you have to actually be present to accept "Best Engineered" :) 

maschinenbau
11/1/22 2:07 p.m.

They missed a lot of the traditional awards this year, but made up for it with tons of Tire Rack cash for all the tire categories

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/1/22 2:08 p.m.

It was replaced by "Fastest Dynamic Time" because the best engineered car is the one that best accomplishes the objective within the design constraints. 

maschinenbau
11/1/22 2:29 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying I do not agree, but it's not my event to manage. A few other Challenge tradition awards were missing too, namely the Phil Kime Spirit of the Event.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/1/22 2:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

That would have meant Brad would have won that award last year. But it didn't. Not my circus, not my monkey's. Y'all do what you gonna do.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA UltraDork
11/1/22 3:11 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

It was replaced by "Fastest Dynamic Time" because the best engineered car is the one that best accomplishes the objective within the design constraints. 

Not a competitor but don't agree with this ^^^ statement.  Someone could accomplish the "fastest Dynamic Time" through better financial opportunities,  more labor involved, better components, or other things not related to engineering. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/22 3:46 p.m.

Y'all notice that AC has a bee in his bonnet lately?  Think we need to do a "Best Angry Corvair" award so that he's happy. Tom will just have to bring it each year until AC shows up. 

maschinenbau
11/1/22 4:57 p.m.

He's just sad from missing out on all the Challenge fun

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/1/22 5:31 p.m.

You know..  We participants could probably..  Like.. Make unofficial awards.   

This year I probably would of given best Engineered to Cedarville if I was in charge.  They took a lot of feedback on their 2021 chassis from people like me, then they went home, and spent 12 months not just doing exactly what was suggested, but understanding why it was suggested and implementing it on the whole car.   They even used that knowledge to recognize that there are limitations inherent in the rest of the chassis that wasn't modified and expressed that they plan to iterate either the whole chassis or take the lessons learned into a new car.   I've worked with Engineers that could learn a lot from that level of humbleness and desire to learn and improve.  To me that's a real Engineering. 

Engineering often is attributed to things that are just needlessly complex.    Like sure the Complexity requires sound engineering principals to be followed for there to be any hope of successful implementation, but complexity for complexities sake is not sound engineering.   The best Engineered challenge car probably doesn't scream "I'm Engineered".    

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
11/1/22 6:13 p.m.

Didn't the Tesla win best dynamic time? Isn't the Tesla operating very much outside the design constraints namely by costing 25x the challenge budget? 

+1 on Cedarville being best engineered or at least for being the best engineering team. Worked a corner with one of their guys car didn't sound the best made a casual offer to help with tuning and that evening the entire team was in my pit not for a tune but for a lesson. Smart but more importantly receptive kids who aren't afraid to learn. 

I also got to drive it... Some hotter than probably permissable laps of the pits revealed it's so much less janky than it should be I offered to buy it on the spot. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/1/22 6:18 p.m.
maschinenbau said:

Again. 

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
11/1/22 6:50 p.m.

Oh here’s the Challenge smack talk thread! devil

QuasiMofo (John Brown)
QuasiMofo (John Brown) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/3/22 2:55 p.m.
bobzilla said:
maschinenbau said:

Again. 

I cannot not stay away from this one. 

That right there is funny.

davbro
davbro Reader
11/4/22 12:13 a.m.

I have always liked the "Best Engineered" award and sad to see it go away.  I would be curious to see how many "best Engineered" winners over the years had also gotten the best dynamic time.  we won best engineered in 2008 and 2019, but i don't think either year we had the best dynamic time...oh well i will always strive to come up with creative ways to build competitive and interesting challenge entries, award or not

Also its cool that the 360 was the last car to win that award, god i love that car!

Cuda
Cuda Reader
11/5/22 7:59 p.m.
nocones said:

You know..  We participants could probably..  Like.. Make unofficial awards. 

The family couldn't make it this year, but i was planning on buying a little trophy(and maybe a few bucks on a gift card as beer money) for my 4 year old to give to his favorite car. I had the idea in 2019 when he fell in love with a red taurus(?) that no one was paying attention to. Just as something to keep him entertained and involved. 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/5/22 10:33 p.m.
Cuda said:

he fell in love with a red taurus(?) that no one was paying attention to

This one?

I'm glad someone enjoyed it besides me!

bentwrench
bentwrench UltraDork
11/6/22 1:03 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

The lmp360 was so far over the top, no one could touch it......

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GQpvOpVjVrYzwVk2KKE5jdvYjXhKTp3SfQY4ia6l9qQCoBrUk4cmMouhe0IVeN6i