Toot
Toot New Reader
10/16/22 2:56 p.m.

Who's challenge car still isn't running?   

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/16/22 3:34 p.m.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/16/22 3:35 p.m.

berkeley me. 

Anybody remember why we do this?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/22 4:57 p.m.

Cause it's a weird, interesting and cool thing to do, and you meet a lot of weird, interesting, and cool people doing it. 

Y'inz got this. And if you don't, just show up and have a beer with us.

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/16/22 6:20 p.m.

Me!

and I got scheduled for work travel days this week. I'm berked.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/22 7:22 p.m.

Running yes.  Stopping ... not one bit.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/22 9:03 p.m.

Umm.... Trying to raise my hand without anyone noticing.

Stampie
10/16/22 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I noticed but I love you too much to say anything.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
10/16/22 9:48 p.m.

I have it running but only idling from 1800-3300 rpm and the throttle body refuses to work correctly. So no driving. 

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/16/22 10:13 p.m.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/16/22 10:16 p.m.

Fabrication done. Welds shocking (haven't touched a tig torch in over a year) frustration level drastically reduced. 

Now to wire it, assemble it, and see what thirty year old parts are gunna say "no" 

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/16/22 10:25 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Why two prop valves?

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
10/17/22 7:29 a.m.

Yeah... I'm in bad shape too... Car isn't running yet, just found out the driveshaft I have won't work, the brakes are a complete unknown, the trans is a Craigslist find that I've never tested, no seat, no shifter, rusted out freeze plug, leaking radiator, etc. It's bad.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/22 9:18 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I noticed but I love you too much to say anything.

Aww, you're too kind. 

This reply is not to be confused with, "Bless your heart." That has an entirely different meaning to a southerner.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/17/22 9:24 a.m.

A gift from the previous owner but it's understandable, this car has the "SLH3" brakes basically 89-90 Shelby Daytona huge vented discs with weird Kelsey Hayes calipers that don't modulate well on the 2900lb car they're for let alone the 2000lb car they're currently installed on. At the moment the car has parts store pads all around and the valve for the front circuit wide open, we'll see how bad it locks up and make an adjustment accordingly. I don't like the idea of lessening brake pressure as a sort of ABS but we don't have much of a choice.  

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 4:40 p.m.

Still running but 1.5 new problems revealed themselves since yesterday afternoon, and the .5 might be a broken fuel gauge...

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
10/17/22 8:42 p.m.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd we're out careless lowering brought the track bar and filler neck together in surprisingly break-y fashion... Amongst other old weathered K-car parts just saying "no". I want to do Paul proud by getting this thing going and we just flat ran out of time to do it right. 

I think we're going to load up the no longer turbo'd $1500 turbo GSR and come play. 

Bigben
Bigben Reader
10/19/22 12:19 a.m.

Yeah, I pulled the plug on the Opel for this year.  Having one arm in a sling for 6 weeks just before the Challenge and then not being allowed to exert any force with it for several more months sure puts a damper on perfecting a Challenge car. Throw in a ten day trip for my son and wife to compete in an International Taekwondo tournament and then pretty much seals the deal. I rationalized that in the week between the tournament and the Challenge I could hit it every night after work and all day Saturday and get the important things done on it in time to go, but yeah no. After I spent several nights getting the house back together and working with the kids on homework assignments and not touching the car, I had to admit to myself that it wasn't going to happen. So I changed gears and plan to take it to a car show at my company's family day this weekend. . .

Yesterday I put the intake plumbing back together and was going to go for a quick drive before dark, nope. When  I went to start it the injectors were flooding the engine so bad it was almost hydro locking.  I did manage to get it to start and it spewed a whole puddle of raw gas out the tailpipe. After it was running it didn't clear up so I shut it down and we pushed it back in the garage. I unplugged all of the injectors and turned the key on to let the fuel pump prime and was rewarded with another cylinder full of fuel. So yeah, my car did run and now it doesn't. 

Toot
Toot New Reader
10/20/22 10:16 p.m.

I finally get the car running and driving, pull into the driveway and the motor seized up.  No challenge car this year.   

Stampie
10/20/22 10:45 p.m.

In reply to Toot :

You still going to show?  I was bringing some little presents for you.

EDIT - and now I can't find them.  I'll look again in the morning.

Toot
Toot New Reader
10/20/22 11:00 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

I wait all year for this... I would bring a riding mower if I had too.  I just have to enter non challenge now.

Stampie
10/20/22 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Toot :

Cool.  Be great to see you again.  I'll look for the present again but either way be nice to see you guys.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
10/21/22 12:53 a.m.

Finally got mine started for the first time today... it runs badly, but I can't be surprised when it really hasn't run since being abandoned 10+ years ago. Ever the optimist, I'm still bringing it. See you there.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZrGLmdzfAsWaU8c7k3BXLMuMOjUUVkaqcjblgkQyukcwZ7ohLKzUX8vLzGVkH97U