Presented by Nine Lives Racing
TXratti
TXratti Reader
4/28/21 8:34 a.m.

I am interested in learning Open Foam and other CFD tools, and wondering what resources were out there to get started.

A bit of background: Aerospace Engineer by degree, have used ANSYS Fluent wayyy back in the day, but have been more focused on structural design and analysis career-wise. I do have some experience with 2D analysis of airfoil sections in XFOIL, and use CAD daily for work.

I'd like to try a number of basic runs and learn Open Foam's process, and eventually work up to being able to do a full vehicle model (I do have access to CAD and most of the day job is working in various CAD systems).

Always looking to learn, and once I get things set up and start trying different things, I'm sure I'll be posting here and asking lots of questions.

Honsch
Honsch Reader
4/28/21 11:18 a.m.

You can try out Freecad, they've got some level of integration with various solvers.

TXratti
TXratti Reader
4/28/21 11:33 a.m.
Honsch said:

You can try out Freecad, they've got some level of integration with various solvers.

I  mean, I should probably learn just to learn, but I've got access to CATIA, Solidworks, etc. wink

OpenFOAM seems to be Lunix-based so getting the win10 integration will be interesting. I'll dig into trying to install things after work.

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/21 4:36 p.m.

Look up Josef Nagy on youtube. He has a good set of videos to get you up and running with OpenFoam specifically. Since you have some background, it may be a little slow, but the OpenFoam specific stuff will get you rolling.

TXratti
TXratti Reader
4/29/21 7:20 a.m.
stafford1500 said:

Look up Josef Nagy on youtube. He has a good set of videos to get you up and running with OpenFoam specifically. Since you have some background, it may be a little slow, but the OpenFoam specific stuff will get you rolling.

Thank you! Anything helps, and so far the install bit is a bit convoluted with the Linux on windows, bash terminal stuff. I used to know a lot more, installed Ubuntu on pretty much every PC I built during high school, but it's been a while.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Djv3A5mTN8tQku7250NbRh9vgUd3TQHMWoOBuZ6xu7CzqxgGniKKWwKU9SNswZIA