1 2
erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
5/27/13 8:24 a.m.

So did you check the bed and ways for wear and alignment while you had it bare?
Ideal time to address any issues.
Great opportunity to (re)learn the art of 'scraping' ;)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/27/13 7:12 p.m.

In reply to erohslc:

The ways have less than .0015 of wear close to the chuck. That's pretty good for a lathe this age and it's close enough for anything I'll ever make. After taking the whole thing apart for paint and mounting it to a new bench, it's going to have to all be aligned again. Not something I'm looking forward to.

Toyman01
5/27/13 7:18 p.m.

I pretty much took the day off today after putting close to 18 hours into it in the last couple of days. I did spend an hour or so mounting one of the DROs and putting final paint on the stuff I primed yesterday.

Pictures of the DRO mounted.

It's on the back side of the bed up under the ways and carriage. Hopefully that will keep it out of harms way and keep most of the swarf from landing on it.

More to come as it happens.

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
5/27/13 9:13 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to erohslc: The ways have less than .0015 of wear close to the chuck. That's pretty good for a lathe this age and it's close enough for anything I'll ever make. After taking the whole thing apart for paint and mounting it to a new bench, it's going to have to all be aligned again. Not something I'm looking forward to.

Not so bad, the old machinists that taught me used to do this like ringing a bell.

Toyman01
6/9/13 5:34 p.m.

Small update, life keeps getting in the way of play.

Finally got the carriage put back together and the apron reassembled and installed. It's starting to look more like a lathe.

Rebuilding the gearbox is next, but I got sidetracked today on another project. Here.

A few pictures.

Just a little cleaner than it was.

It's coming together slowly.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/9/13 5:59 p.m.

Looking good!

Toyman01
6/9/13 6:42 p.m.

Thanks!

It's down to the fiddly bits now. They always seem to take the longest.

Toyman01
6/23/13 4:13 p.m.

Well, I was a good boy today. I ignored the mill I just bought and worked on the lathe.

Before:

After:

At this point, it's 95% done. I finished cleaning and assembling the gear box, assembled the primary drive and got everything bolted down to the workbench. I've still got to clean and paint the micrometer carriage stop, and find and paint the carriage lead screw bearing. Since the lead screw bearing was the first thing pulled off the lathe, it's naturally vanished in my shop somewhere.

Once I get those done, I'm going to tear into the mill I just got. It's not going to get painted, but it needs a through cleaning.

Over all I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Toyman01
6/24/13 6:28 a.m.

I spent two hours last night digging for the carriage lead screw bearing. No luck, so I ordered one off fleabay. As soon as the new one shows up I'll remember where I put the old one.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
6/24/13 8:49 a.m.

Looks Great!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QkdsE2jXNGFQtvKZQ1pmjLZTkUzJ72WJ18trfvG4gu9cGIbuXea2LxLHUSUuDjO7