1 2 3 ... 5
jstancel
jstancel New Reader
7/9/13 4:33 p.m.

This is the only place I can think of that will appreciate my build. The hot rod type forum deleted my thread because what I am doing is sacrilege. I currently have a Lexus with Chevy drivetrain and now I want to do the opposite.

This week I picked up a well used 1950 Ford Tudor. It has a tremendous amount of rust so it would not be a good candidate for a restoration project. The car also shares similar dimensions with the 1990-96 Infiniti Q45. The plan is to make both cars into one. This is a much better option than the Crown Vic swaps I have seen because the Q45 is independant rear and shares many parts with the 240sx and 300zx. This gives it more aftermarket options.

Here is a photoshop of what the final product will most likely look like: 1950 Shoebox Ford Drift Car

Here is what the car looks like now: Bought this today

7/10/13 Update Here is a picture of the $400 Q45 I plan to pick up this weekend. Suspension and Drivetrain donor for the 50 Ford

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/9/13 4:38 p.m.

I am appreciating the E36 M3 out of this build! Could this be the oldest model purpose-built drift car ever?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/9/13 4:40 p.m.

Good luck with it! Safety first (relatively speaking)

I saw you had an IS300 with a Batlground sticker on it. Do you work there? I hear from Dan and Tracy every once in a while but I haven't been by the shop in a few years.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
7/9/13 4:42 p.m.

So I assume the plan is to build your own chassis, attach the Q45 bits, and then attach old Ford body on top?

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork

Watching.... And I know the hot rod forums of which you speak...they don't take kindly to our shenanigans. Funny that they pride themselves on "pissing off purists" yet they've become purists in their own right.

I say full steam ahead, but then again, I'm weird.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork

I'm not a drifter, but different is good and if this isn't different, then nothing is. Should be a hoot to run if nothing else. Build it!

fanfoy
fanfoy HalfDork
7/9/13 5:06 p.m.

I totally approve of this build.

Don't mind the hot rod crowd. They are a bunch of sour old gits who still live somewhere in the 50s or 60s.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
7/9/13 5:10 p.m.

I'm not normally a big fan of chassis swapping old cars, but this sounds too good.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf HalfDork
7/9/13 6:08 p.m.

This is good!

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
7/9/13 6:13 p.m.

Love this build! Keep it up.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/9/13 6:14 p.m.

I hate the automobile ballet known as drifting, but I approve of this project wholeheartedly.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
7/9/13 6:23 p.m.

That is ... wait for it... AWESOME

"Shotgun"

gamby
gamby UltimaDork
7/9/13 6:25 p.m.

Man, this is SUCH a good idea!!!

The hot rod people who piss of purists still get angry at a Japanese powerplant in an American car.

This is going to be fantastic.

jstancel
jstancel New Reader
7/9/13 6:38 p.m.

I don't work for Batlground, they sponsor my competition car. They are a bunch of really good guys.

My next step is to find a smoking deal on a Q45. It would be awesome to find one with some minor damage and a good drivetrain.

The car will have a full cage similar to my competition car but this car will not be legal for any drift competition setting. I want this to be a great street car and drive it a small drift events and private track days.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/9/13 7:04 p.m.

welcome aboard, and yes this build is awesome. I just favorite'd it so I can keep an eye on your progress. this will be fun.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/13 9:04 p.m.

Very cool.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
7/9/13 9:14 p.m.

The hot rod forum deleted your post? Wow

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/9/13 9:38 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: The hot rod forum deleted your post? Wow

I'm not sure I understand that. The jalopy showdown guys love sliding around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN39hqcIFFM

You just picked a forum full of uptight people

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
7/9/13 9:43 p.m.

Shame on the hot rod nerds. You can come over here and hang out with us, we have better snacks anyhow. That chop shows me what is still right with the world.

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
7/9/13 9:48 p.m.

Why is the independent rear better (than the Crown Vic route) for drifting? Aren't there a bunch of drift cars running solid rear axle setups, like Corollas and Mustangs and such?

Bryce

jstancel
jstancel New Reader
7/9/13 10:02 p.m.

That is a good question. The Mustangs you see in FD are independent rear. the AE86 Corollas have not been competitive in the US for several years. It can be done with straight axle but independent is infinitely more user friendly with the ability to tune the toe, camber, and how the car squats on throttle.

Update: I am working on a deal to get a running Q45 at a cost of $400!

Maybe this should be a 2014 Grassroots competitor instead of drift car.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
7/9/13 10:14 p.m.

^^^We'll see you in Gainesville.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 HalfDork
7/9/13 11:19 p.m.
jstancel wrote: Maybe this should be a 2014 Grassroots competitor instead of drift car.

Yes!

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
7/10/13 5:48 a.m.

Not keen on drifting, but keen on this. Will watch.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
7/10/13 6:44 a.m.

Tunaman hit the nail on the head. In for updates.

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OOWGu2QxoueFcQmLNPPojqvIEip373jFLMikt9opp8Mxm1IAqnk7odKGBoMo9256