1 2 3 ... 10
bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
10/31/15 1:34 p.m.

Picked this up for my wife [now ex wife] up in Nashville when we used to live in Tennessee. This will be a slow build because we moved to Texas shortly after buying it. So first priority was to fix up the foreclosure house we bought got down in Kerrville TX. The stock flathead will be coming out, with all 10hp or so that it has. Going the ford 2.3 route. I had already grabbed a 2.3 with a t5 and ecu/harness out of a foxbody mustang before we moved. Plan is to keep the 2.3 stock for the time being. Most likely will end up being a turbo build later (used to have tbird turbocoupes) and I still have a few 2.3t parts laying around. I'll probably just use the 7.5 rear I also took from the mustang. Car only weighs like 1500lbs so I don't think I'll ever break the 7.5 rear. Trying to decide on a front suspension upgrade that doesn't cost a fortune. The 2.3 weighs alot more than this tiny flathead.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
10/31/15 1:37 p.m.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/31/15 2:22 p.m.

What is that, a two cylinder? ??

Looks to be a clean car.

Ill be lurking and learning

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
10/31/15 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

1172cc side valve 4 banger

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/31/15 4:12 p.m.

Cool project! I hope that red tint is the first thing to go.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/15 6:06 p.m.

In reply to bgkast:

Red tint is super-dopesauce! Keep it!

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
11/1/15 8:45 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

It has to go, it was on it when I got it. But red tint is illegal in Texas

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
11/1/15 8:09 p.m.

Sweet car. I love small euro Fords.

Id go for a zetec instead of the lima. Or a duratec, even.

You can get a BDA look a like valve cover for the zetec, too.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/1/15 8:14 p.m.

First time ive seen anglia build without a smallblock.. 2.3t with a t3 instead of the stock IHI and a good tune would make that a blast!

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
11/1/15 10:07 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

That will probably be what ends up on it. I still have turbo pistons with rods, vam, fuel pump, couple other things. Use to have turbo, manifold bigger injectors, etc but sold it all off the last time I said I was done with 2.3t, lol. But going be slow build. Going have to scrap money up, we been dropping every dime into fixing up the house. So all have wait for those awesome deals. But I have 2 complete 2.3 na with harness and ecu and one 2.3 with the 5sp.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/2/15 11:55 a.m.

I know the Na harness works with some repin work. If you dont mind plumbing your own intercooler its usually cheaper to buy the 85 non intercooled t3 motors. You probably know most of this, i just know turbo donor cars have gone way up in price here in ohio.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
11/2/15 6:58 p.m.

In reply to dropstep:

I got turbo pistons so I'll just swap them in. Crank and rods are the same anyways. I've ran na heads before, while not the best solution work just fine. Ran a 88tc with a na head after a badly warped and cracked head. It ran a t3 with intercooler at 15psi just fine all the time. Just need to tap pan for oil return. But I'll get the 2.3 swapped in and running first. I know it ran before I pulled it. So don't want to tear into it until it runs first. Then I'll work on getting it boosted. Gotta love the sound of a tractor

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
11/3/15 9:43 a.m.

A 2.3 conversion is a GREAT choice for a small British sedan !

We popped one into the '55 Hillman Husky and are going to put one into the '58 Austin A35 this Winter.

They seem to fit like they belong there and offer up three to four times the horsepower of the original.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/tiny-tubby-tuff/78093/page1/

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
12/4/15 11:27 a.m.

I have 2 2.3s and a t5 behind one. I just can't decide if that's what I want in it. They are heavy pigs and I could swap in a v6 or even v8 and be at the same weight up front. I don't want to go with a v8 but am I have been thinking of going v6. If I did it probably be the 3800 series II with efi. I just want this to be a nice reliable peppy car, (its my wifes) that we can drive long distances if we want to with it. I liked the 3.8 in the regal we use to have, got 30mpg all day long and moved along that heavy car just fine. The 2.3 and 3.8 weight is about the same. I know if I go 2.3 it will have to be turbo because I hate stock 2.3s with a passion. I'm obviously not tied to be brand loyal on it, but I want an engine that's relatively common and I can get parts for anywhere. I'm leaning towards the 2.3 just because I have it already but I plan on keeping this car so I don't want to just swap it in because I have it. What engine would you guys go with and reasons why?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
12/4/15 2:32 p.m.

Very cool little car, and I hate that the red tint has to go. That's the only car I've ever seen that I like it on.

Kind of a shame there's no t enough budget to pioneer a baby EcoBoost RWD swap - the 1.3L or whatever they smuggled in the carry-on luggage as a promo stunt.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA New Reader
12/4/15 9:38 p.m.

Rover 4.0 aluminum V8 and T5. Light, V8 and you can probably find a good how-to guide on a U.K. sight. Use Buick valve covers if you must.

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/5/15 6:16 a.m.

In reply to bigfranks84:

I'd consider a zetec or a duratec to keep it all ford. The zetec will be cheap but will require you to finagle a RWD bellhousing. Solutions are available though.

Duratec will be more expensive, but can be found in RWD form in late model Ranger or NC Miata.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
12/5/15 7:40 a.m.

Gm 60 degree v6. Cheap, light, compact. Love them. Id do a camaro 3.4 bottom end, 3500 heads, bigger cam, itbs, and megasquirt. Back it up with a 4cyl s10 t5 for the good ratios. Long tube headers into magnaglow mufflers.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
12/5/15 7:53 a.m.

BigFrank, what is the black paint? Matte with satin clear over it?

Dan

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
12/5/15 5:39 p.m.
914Driver wrote: BigFrank, what is the black paint? Matte with satin clear over it? Dan

That's what I was told, it was painted when I got it. Was told it was black base coat with satin clear. They did a pretty good job and it's held up so far.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
3/25/17 5:46 p.m.

Still just sitting in the garage. But decided on selling off the 2.3 parts. It's so heavy and bulky that if I want that I'll just go 5.0. But I'm really leaning towards a rotary. A 13b will almost fit maybe even fit in the stock engine bay and then I don't have to give up a foot of my already tiny cabin space. Just going keep an eye out for a good deal on a drivetrain. In the mean time I'm going have to get working on my wife's 71 ghia that I told her I would repower with an ej22. Already bought the adapter plate for that. Just need to get some one to strip down the harness because I really just don't want to do it.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/25/17 6:08 p.m.

Guy in high school had a Prefect with a 283 in it and '59 Cadillac fins, called it the Baby Bat.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
4/9/17 10:04 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

That's sounds awesomely amazing.

The other motor option I'm thinking is ej22, I know there's a guy that makes a bellhousing that bolts to the subbie and a toyota trans so it's easy to go rwd.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/10/17 8:13 a.m.

I love these little cars. I would use a Duratec and transmission out of a Ranger. http://www.retro-ford.co.uk/shop/retro-ford

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 New Reader
4/14/17 11:59 p.m.

Yeah I thought of a duratec. But for the money that cost there's so many better options. I stumbled across the honda v6 out of the odyssey. Couple places are making adapter plates for them now for rwd applications. I like it because it's got 250hp+ weighs like 200 lbs and is really short in length. My engine bay is tiny and I am not. So the least I have to encrouch in the cabin the better. And that power will be a blast in a 2k lb car.

1 2 3 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Fp5jjLLgWYPA8ASySezkJLuRhNzQDSDZd6pcyi6wXsBROkZhoH7hrNjgmmKdR7vP