1 ... 7 8 9 10
bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
5/26/19 8:15 p.m.

Ok, fixed my air compressor  this morning. Was just about to get to work on the anglia and the axle guy messaged me asking if I could meet.  

Went down to San Antonio and got it and then some over errands and by the time I got back it was about 5pm. 

First step is to get out the 55gl drum lid as template. 

Did some rough cuts and got the rearend on blocks to raise the rear up some.  I'll prob just make the spring perches out of 2x3 tube. 

Tires stick out about 5 inches . Gotta start thinking on how I want to do the flares. But I'll probably just build them using 1/4" rod then sheet them.  

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
5/27/19 2:14 a.m.

I like the direction this is going. Really going to mess with peoples heads when you tell them it’s fwd and powered by a mazda 3 drivetrain. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
5/27/19 10:12 a.m.

In reply to rattfink81 :

I have a feeling this most likely will get put on it. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
5/29/19 7:19 p.m.

So this is happening 

Rough fitment done, think it's going work.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
5/31/19 8:40 p.m.

Had to do some finish welding on some joints. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
5/31/19 8:46 p.m.

How well do the mazda seats fit? Is your head buried in the roof? Or is tge plan something else?

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
5/31/19 9:01 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I'm going try those and see. But I feel they will be too tall.  What I'm thinking is to use the Mazda rails on the anglia stock seats. 

Here's a pic of the factory seats, they are in good shape.  

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/1/19 4:11 p.m.

Made some progress today. Got the drivers strut tower in place. Should be pretty close to stock mazda3 alignment specs. 

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
6/1/19 9:23 p.m.

Gotta use every part of that buffalo son!

rattfink81
rattfink81 New Reader
6/2/19 11:14 a.m.

Nice progress. You make it look easy

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/2/19 7:11 p.m.

So spent a big part of the day welding. Finished welding all the joints on the frame rails finally. 

And trimmed out the passenger wheel well. 

Did the passenger strut mount,  apparently never took a picture with it tacked on.  Use your imagination,  it looks just like the drivers, lol.  

Tossed the floor back in to see what it's looking like. 

And besides the 4x4 stance I like how it's coming together 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/4/19 8:06 p.m.

May just build side skirts to make it look lower. Put some 1x6 up just to see how it looks.  

Can't decide if I like it or not. I think it could work.  

Kinda like this

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/8/19 8:32 p.m.

Made some floor progress. 

Added 1" angle iron, was hoping to just bend the edges of the floor up but that didn't pan out. 

And trimmed the floor pan and it's now tacked on.  But ran out of gas and had to tack with fluke.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
6/9/19 6:28 a.m.

That is starting to look like a car again. 

Pete

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
6/9/19 12:35 p.m.

I love how small and tight this thing is; you're seats are gonna be close to the rear window.

Are you gonna put rear seats into it, or just have all that space in the back for hauling things? And are you gonna keep the interior stereo and such for it?

EDIT: I also kinda like the look and appeal of stained wood for external runners, but I have always loved the look and appeal of new technology mixed with old wood and older technologies.

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
6/9/19 2:56 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

How well do the mazda seats fit? Is your head buried in the roof? Or is tge plan something else?

Doesn't,  going have to cut the seat risers off the floor plan.  

Doesn't surprise me,  just have to cut the risers out for sure now.

I do plan on keeping the rear seat,  I'll also probably use the factory anglia front seats. I think they will look better in there. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
5/10/20 7:44 a.m.

Lots of free time but not near the car.

So was looking around Ebay. Does anyone know if I can use a jdm 2.0 awd transaxle on the fusion 2.5? I'm assuming the stock 2.3 ecm doesn't care about controlling the awd manual trans vs the stock fwd. 

Anyone know for sure? Here is an ebay link to the jdm awf transaxle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283486035753

rattfink81
rattfink81 Reader
5/10/20 8:43 a.m.

I was wondering what happened with this build.  Looking forward to future updates on it. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
5/10/20 10:32 a.m.
rattfink81 said:

I was wondering what happened with this build.  Looking forward to future updates on it. 

Life, haven't had any time to work on it. Haven't really had time to work on any of my projects.

Hopefully going get some work done on it this summer. But planning on starting  a business by July, so we will see how much time I can work on it. 

But I want to hear it run and atleast be able to yard drive in this year. 

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
3/7/22 10:42 p.m.

Looks like life keeps getting in the way.  

Anyone following this and is interested in it shoot me an offer.  Haven't touched it in almost 2 years and will be moving in the fall and can't take with me.  

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/22 5:51 p.m.

crying

roof
roof New Reader
7/26/22 7:35 a.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

Hi I have been looking for a 100e , motor and trans, Just wondering if you do not plan to keep yours out of this project? Thank you for your time Ed

bigfranks84
bigfranks84 Reader
8/1/22 11:13 p.m.

In reply to roof :

Sorry original drivetrain is gone. Sold awhile ago. 

But buy this project for a cool $1000

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/1/22 11:39 p.m.

In reply to bigfranks84 :

Such a sweet job on that swap. I couldn't have done it, but finishing is would be within my abilities. If I had a job at all, or even a good prospect for a good fall contract, but I'll probably be on a "almost pays the bills" again, so no dollars!

That is a heck of a good deal at a grand!!!

and again.  Great work. 

Keldors54
Keldors54
1/8/23 6:19 a.m.

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lnaGAacWVDNfcoEcFhT4QIUFS205N3GOQHbJiMyBI7ofa2gpLTQs27aF63MxDPik