1 ... 4 5 6 7
mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
8/23/21 12:07 p.m.

I recently sold my truck (2006 F350 powerstroke) and Jeep (2003 TJ Wrangler) due to the crazy high used car prices. Got an absurd amount of money for them, and it's finally time to buy a new truck I think. For the moment the Falcon has been moved to literal daily driver duty, and is doing great racking up the miles.  Coming up as soon as I have a new truck to drive, is a steering box rebuild for the Falcon. It is just so sloppy it's getting pretty frustrating. I have a shop in Denver that will do the rebuild for a couple hundred bucks, just need time to let the car sit while the box is out for a week.

In other news, I had a local painter do some pinstriping on the car, that really turned out great. Super happy with her work!

How'd I miss this update?  Those stripes look legit!  Definitely something I want to be adding to my long roof when I get the chance. 

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/7/22 5:59 p.m.

In reply to jerrysarcastic (dork in training) :

Super glad you brought this back up to the top; I had missed a few updates as well. 
Hope mick posts some more soon!

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/7/22 6:01 p.m.
jerrysarcastic (dork in training) said:

How'd I miss this update?  Those stripes look legit!  Definitely something I want to be adding to my long roof when I get the chance. 

Thanks! I love it. Stripes make everything cooler.

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/7/22 6:03 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I'll get back on some updates soon. Not much new since my last post. I drove the hell out of the car this summer until I got a truck again. It was super reliable and a lot of fun. It's currently parked for the winter, but I plan on pulling it out soon to get the steering box out for a rebuild. I'm looking at suspension options as I'd like to get cornering better. Might change out the dash for some better gauges as well. Will definitely update when I get back to work on it. For now it's parked in a storage unit next to my office, sharing space with my Dad's 57 chevy and waiting out the freezing temps and snow we have at the moment. Won't be long before it's hooning around town again though!

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/7/22 6:04 p.m.

Those pinstripes look killer!

i love the falcon and ranchero content on here.  nice work!

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/7/22 6:52 p.m.

In reply to mickpiston :

You do a great job on your posts, and it's nice to notice that you take the time to answer everyone... I know I would not do as well!

You come across as a great guy, and although there is a few years between us, we seem to have very similar taste in toys! 
Start (or link to laugh) some other toy threads! I'm always interested in sidecar related info.; and on a guzzi, even better!

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/10/22 12:42 p.m.
bgkast said:

Those pinstripes look killer!

Thanks! I think so too. They look great on the car.

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/10/22 12:42 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i love the falcon and ranchero content on here.  nice work!

Me too! I've been digging around in the forums and am surprised by the amount of Falcon/Ranchero builds, cool stuff on here.

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/10/22 12:44 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to mickpiston :

You do a great job on your posts, and it's nice to notice that you take the time to answer everyone... I know I would not do as well!

You come across as a great guy, and although there is a few years between us, we seem to have very similar taste in toys! 
Start (or link to laugh) some other toy threads! I'm always interested in sidecar related info.; and on a guzzi, even better!

Hey thanks! I appreciate that. I figure if someone is going to take the time to respond any of the junk I'm writing, they certainly deserve a response from me. Really cool to see the feedback.  Awesome to see similar taste in toys. I haven't been good about making posts about my other projects which are typically motorcycle related. I'll post some of what I've been up to last fall in here since I'm lacking on Falcon updates. See below!

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/10/22 12:54 p.m.

Some of the other stuff I was up to last fall since the Falcon was running great and didn't require much work.

My Dad had always wanted a 57 Chevy, so I had been on the hunt for years. Around June I think I tracked down a really nice 57 Chevy 210 4 door, with a fresh 283 and a 3 speed floor shift conversion. It was a 80% complete stalled restoration. Body work, paint, interior all done, but needed lots of finishing. My Dad is still back in Southern California where I grew up, but I keep the car here in Northern Colorado for now while we work on it. I have a 2.5 year old son and my parents are out here often, so we wrench on it everytime he's here.

We took both cars to many shows and always to our local Cars & Coffee in Fort Collins which is a great time:

I was mostly working on bike projects towards the end of the year. I finished up my 1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador rebuild, it turned out great. Rode it around for a month, then bought a 77 Triumph T140V Bonneville. Kind of lost interest in the gooz and sold it for a good profit to a dude in Texas.

The Bonneville is currently torn apart for a new top end (done), exhaust, gauges, and lots of other stuff to refresh it. It only has about 15k miles on it, but needed some maintenance. It will see alot of miles and some trips this year so I'm getting in well dialed.

Also needed a bike for work to test our new powersports voltage regulator design. Designed and built here in Loveland, Colorado, and it's super cool. I found an old 1992 Kawasaki KZ1000P ex police bike non-running for dirt cheap. Got it back in good running shape after a lot of work. Its now running a Motogadget M-Unit with lots of meters and test equipment. It is a ridiculous blast to ride and will see a lot of miles this year as well.

It was stripped of most police equipment and logos, so I made some vinyl graphics similar to the old CHP chips bikes.

That's about it for the moment. 

I'm planning on redoing my garage right now, which is a 32 x 18 foot deep garage attached to the house. Currently working on cleaning it up and planning insulation/drywall, flooring, cabinets, workbenches, etc. I've always just used it as is for the last 5 years and never really improved to the level I really want. That would probably be a good thread to start for input on the garage build!

Hope some of that stuff is of interest to everybody. Hopefully more Falcon content coming soon.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
1/10/22 2:05 p.m.

That is super cool - love the idea

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
1/11/22 11:05 a.m.

All of the stuff your doing fits in here, for me. Including the garage. 
There is a "bikes" thread, but it is a mix of bicycles (technically more correct) and motorcycles. 
they should start a separate place for motorcycle projects. laugh

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/11/22 11:29 a.m.

Thanks guys! I might start some threads for various motorcycle projects if they get some interest. Overall I generally spend much more time on motorcycle builds than I do on cars so there is probably more to share. Glad you like the recent stuff!

RSwannabe
RSwannabe New Reader
1/11/22 12:25 p.m.

Great thread, cool falcon, and neat bikes. Really like the graphics on the Kawi. Have you noticed people suddenly slowing in front of you when they mistake you for a cop?

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/12/22 1:01 p.m.
RSwannabe said:

Great thread, cool falcon, and neat bikes. Really like the graphics on the Kawi. Have you noticed people suddenly slowing in front of you when they mistake you for a cop?

haha yes definitely. You will notice people slowing, or changing lanes, it's pretty funny. It doesn't have any red/blue lights or cop gear on it anymore, but it still looks the part. It is a ridiculously fun and reliable motorcycle for very cheap, highly recommended if you find one for sale!

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/14/22 4:48 p.m.

Well I made a post about my garage remodel project, hope there's some interest there as well. That's my current project focus!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/shop-talk/help-upgrade-my-motorcycle-hot-rod-garage-command-center/190870/page1/

mickpiston
mickpiston New Reader
1/15/22 12:58 a.m.

In reply to MuSTANK :

Yup! I'm a firm believer cheap old cop rigs are always the way to go for guaranteed fun!

I mean come on, it's got cop brakes, cop suspension...

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
1/15/22 8:27 a.m.

There used to be a guy with an ex-Michigan state police P71 around Ann Arbor. After you pulled over and he went by you would see his license plate...NOTACOP.

mickpiston
mickpiston Reader
1/17/22 12:12 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

haha nice!

mickpiston
mickpiston Reader
1/17/22 12:14 p.m.

Well since I've already gone off topic here and don't have any exciting new Falcon content....I was bored yesterday so I drove 4+ hours each way out to Aspen and picked up this super rad 1976 BMW R90 /6. It has 26k original miles, and is in Havana Gold, one of my favorite airhead colors.

It runs well and is mechanically in good shape, but needs lots of cleaning and maintenance, get rid of the fairing and backrest, etc. Will be a great rider!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
1/17/22 2:53 p.m.

Windjammer fairings have fallen out of style, but they were really nice to ride behind.

mickpiston
mickpiston Reader
1/18/22 10:54 a.m.
stuart in mn said:

Windjammer fairings have fallen out of style, but they were really nice to ride behind.

I agree they do work really well, but they just really don't look good! Haha. I've pulled them off of so many bikes. Always a bummer that nobody wants them, they usually end up getting trashed. I'll keep this one on the shelf for a few months and see if I can give it away to someone since it's painted and striped in a fairly rare color. If not, unfortunately it will probably get dumped.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
1/18/22 11:24 p.m.

Dude, your Falcon rocks. I lust after 60-61 sedans and wagons. Makes me want to move back to the US (been away for the past 4-5 months only) so I can purchase a 3-speed column shift and tootle around town with the family. Maybe one day.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K4tQ9bH2gJM4hX7ml80E3imEREg6iWSfFgotkFn4Q23ZsTJpDeVwbxqHh0ljpVug