1 2 3
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/11/18 9:03 a.m.

I have been looking at older trucks on craigslist for a couple months now and have been continually surprised by the asking prices. In my mind a 1960's or 70's pickup should be a cheap buy in, but people selling them are convinced they are worth their weight in silver.

Looking forward to seeing your plans for this one.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/11/18 9:04 a.m.

Oh man, that's a cool one. Can't wait to see what you do with it! 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
5/11/18 9:29 a.m.

I didn't know that they made trucks with that unibody body style. Didn't even notice it at first glance.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/11/18 9:47 a.m.

I vote turbo vortec 4200.

tell cameron congratulations on home ownership for me.  

dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
5/11/18 1:40 p.m.

I like it. 

Hal
Hal UltraDork
5/11/18 5:09 p.m.

I vote for a Ford 300 six.  I did one years ago with a 4bbl, dual exhaust, etc.  Had lots of fun at Salem, Oh with it.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/18 7:09 p.m.

M120 v12 Mercedes with two turbos and MS? 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
5/13/18 7:31 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Yup, six cylinder trucks got the lightning bolt logo, eight cylinder trucks got a V8 logo.  Assuming the ID tag is still on the glove box door you can decode the truck's original configuration.  http://www.fordification.info/tech/vin61-62.htm

So, I went through the ID tag. Somebody must have changed the hood emblem. The truck is originally a V8 truck. Specifically a 292 with a measly 135 horsepower. Built in June of 1962, in Chicago. The truck was Rangoon Red, which you can see hints of throughout the truck, 3 speed manual with 3.70 gears. The gears must have been changed too, because they are 3.00 gears now. This truck has been around the block a couple of times. Thanks for sharing the link. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
5/13/18 7:51 p.m.

Hmm...I have to admit my experience is with 1965 and 1966 trucks and I know the lighting bolt deal applied to those years, but am not 100% sure about the earlier unibody trucks.  However, it sounds like other things have been changed on your truck so who knows (Ford was kind of silly about where they put the ID tags - in your year it was on the glove box door, in 1965/66 it was on the driver's door; both were places where the identity of the truck would be lost if the door were removed or replaced.)

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
5/17/18 7:49 a.m.

Alright. It's time to reveal the powertrain. 

I was going to mess with you guys and tell you I was going to swap a small block Chevy into it, but I'll just spill the beans. 

If any of you know me, you know that I have an affection for inline 6 cylinders. I used to have a Nova that I was going to put an Eaton Supercharger, but the car was totaled before I could. Ever since then I have wanted to do a boosted inline 6.

Now you are probably thinking 2jz. The problem with A 2jz is the price. They fit into a lot of cars, but to find one cheap you have to go with a GE, and then you have to sort out all the electronics transmission and such. 

I'm not even going to go into the Nissan RB engines, because price, availability, reliability, etc.

This leaves one option in my mind, Vortec 4200.

So less than a year ago, I saw one for sale, 60000 miles, $200. I asked him if he would take $100, he accepted. Then we got to talking. He bought the engine cheap to put into his 300k mile Trailblazer, but the car was too rusty to justify the swap. The car still ran, so I asked what he did with it. He said it was still sitting in his driveway. I offered $400 for the car and the engine. He accepted.

My dad and I went and got it that weekend.

One problem with a Vortec 4200, is the size. These engines are massive. 4 inch stroke! Therefore a truck is a necessity. 

Another problem is the bell housing pattern.

A 4l60e is not going to cut it for the power I want to make, on a budget.

More to come on that later!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/18 8:01 a.m.

This is exactly what I wanted to do with my 70 Chevelle, but as you say the 4200 is massive. I ended up turbocharging the 250.

The 4200 will put out stupid amounts of power with just a little bit of boost. This should be fun to watch.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
5/17/18 9:36 a.m.
Toyman01 said:

This is exactly what I wanted to do with my 70 Chevelle, but as you say the 4200 is massive. I ended up turbocharging the 250.

The 4200 will put out stupid amounts of power with just a little bit of boost. This should be fun to watch.

Yeah. My dad keeps telling me to LS swap it. I bought this truck specifically to do this swap. I'm really looking forward to getting it done.

That sounds like a neat project. Do you have a build page for it?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/17/18 9:54 a.m.

In reply to TheV8Kid :

Unfortunately, that was long before I started doing build threads. It used a draw through turbocharge setup off a 81 Firebird and a Quadrajet. I only dumped about 5 pounds of boost to it. Fun though. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how your truck turns out. 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/17/18 12:58 p.m.
Patrick said:

Patrick called it! Awesome.

Patrick
5/17/18 1:15 p.m.
dculberson said:
Patrick said:

Yeah i got a text shortly after that post about nailing it

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
5/17/18 2:09 p.m.
Woody said:

Nice!

Straight six turbo maybe?

Woody was on the right path too!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
5/17/18 2:10 p.m.
Patrick said:
dculberson said:
Patrick said:

Yeah i got a text shortly after that post about nailing it

Yep. You know me too well!

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/17/18 6:18 p.m.

The Toyota 1fzfe would-be be a cool alternative to the gm 4200. Its basically a big 4.5 liter 2jz for trucks lol. They make huge power when boosted. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
5/17/18 8:50 p.m.
yupididit said:

The Toyota 1fzfe would-be be a cool alternative to the gm 4200. Its basically a big 4.5 liter 2jz for trucks lol. They make huge power when boosted. 

To be honest, I did not even know that engine existed until a couple of minutes ago. How much horsepower can they take with stock internals?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
5/17/18 9:21 p.m.
TheV8Kid said:
yupididit said:

To be honest, I did not even know that engine existed until a couple of minutes ago. How much horsepower can they take with stock internals?

If the guys from the middle east are to be trusted-All of it.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/18/18 8:08 a.m.
MrJoshua said:
TheV8Kid said:
yupididit said:

If the guys from the middle east are to be trusted-All of it.

Yea it's the late FJ80 engine and those guys in the middle east pump north of 1000 hp out of them like it's going out of style.

I also am stoked to see the 4200 getting some love, i think they have really great potential that alot of people dont realize, it's just their large size that is their weakness but in a full size truck it's probably less of an issue. There is a mk3 supra with a boosted 4200 that i saw on the interwebs a while back so with some work they can be made to fit on smaller-ish cars.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/18/18 8:42 a.m.

This is awesome! I strongly considered the 4200 for my Challenge wagon, but it was too darn big. It's perfect for an old truck like yours. Great project, looking forward to following along. The oil pan looks like it has a hole for 4WD. Do you think that will be a problem or will you just live it with? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
5/18/18 9:12 a.m.

I want to see how to dress the thing out of its ugliness (the 4200, not the truck) but I love that engine.

Patrick
5/18/18 1:41 p.m.
tuna55 said:

I want to see how to dress the thing out of its ugliness (the 4200, not the truck) but I love that engine.

Close the hood 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/18/18 3:12 p.m.

Sweet Choice for an engine! What are you going to do with the hole in the sump where the front axle ran through it? Or isn't it open to the oil?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J5YSl0CqXvYdg8HdKEvhhHQf8t6QCSaZFVUjVaJnbv0fZ84MqLvs903ZfmK9YvvM