1 2 3 4 ... 6
mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/8/17 8:17 p.m.

In reply to hhaase:

Thanks for typing all that out. Part of my plan was to do a bit of an interview to get the backstory to add to the thread. Now that you got that out of the way, I'll just pester you for amazing old family photos.
Looking forward to seeing how the old girl tows.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/10/17 12:59 p.m.

It's been one heck of a morning. All good. We're on the road. Much more to come.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
6/10/17 1:03 p.m.

Ok, I'm in.

hhaase
hhaase Reader
6/10/17 2:23 p.m.

Wheel hubs running ok?

Yeah, I couldn't help slapping a GRM sticker on it before it left. And a NASA racing one too

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/10/17 5:08 p.m.

Is that park with all the flags in Brooking by chance?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/10/17 5:18 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: It's been one heck of a morning. All good. We're on the road. Much more to come.

That is one seriously cool picture.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/10/17 6:28 p.m.
hhaase wrote: Wheel hubs running ok? Yeah, I couldn't help slapping a GRM sticker on it before it left. And a NASA racing one too

Hubs are cool. Trailer tows really nice (which you said it would) just had a few moments where the trans/coolant started to get a bit warm in fast moving traffic in the Twin Cities. Once we got out into cleaner air things cooled back down. Mileage is down from 19mpg to 14.5mpg which is much better than I got towing a car on an open trailer.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/10/17 8:20 p.m.

Pretty sure this makes me a captain.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/10/17 8:56 p.m.
Woody wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: It's been one heck of a morning. All good. We're on the road. Much more to come.
That is one seriously cool picture.

It will be even cooler when Fergus is towing it...

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/17 12:10 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

Yes, once they're done Fergus and the Land Yacht belong on some kind of family adventure.

https://www.quartoknows.com/blog/quartodrives/2016/12/30/airstream-african-caravan-1955/

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/11/17 9:22 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Pretty sure this makes me a captain.

The logo has a bicycle pulling the trailer. Was this some sort of Airstream marketing like, "these trailers are so light a bicycle could tow them?"

Edit: sure enough, with some Googling... 1947

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
6/11/17 9:39 a.m.
Wall-e wrote: Yes, once they're done Fergus and the Land Yacht belong on some kind of family adventure.

Crossing Africa in a 1950s Cadillac with an Airstream hooked on the back was a pretty outrageous way to roll. There's a guy on the Gararge Journal web board who has an Airstream that was actually used on one of those trips, but I haven't seen him post in a while.

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/12/17 5:22 p.m.

A few years ago the Wife gave me a book on the Airstream caravan trips. There are some great photos in it of them parked in front of the pyramids, various middle eastern and Asian cities and other landmarks. The thought of doing that before and internet, mobile phone, or even electronic ignitions is amazing.

jere
jere HalfDork
6/13/17 9:33 a.m.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
6/13/17 10:30 a.m.

My younger sister and her husband did a quick gut of theirs, which they live in periodically when they're between houses (this is a more frequent occurrence for them than for most people). They love it.

Enjoy it! And fix your pictures, you're out of bandwidth!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
6/13/17 11:00 a.m.

Working on the picture thing now. I have to walk down the beach to get cell service.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/5/17 4:35 p.m.

Two months at the beach and I'm back on the road! There was a Mini event on the Mackinaw bridge today. I like cars. I like car events. I do NOT like 1000 Mini's clogging the left lane of I-75 at 50mph for 20 miles. Have I showed you the inside yet? Ran when parked.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/5/17 5:31 p.m.

Nothing a seasoned R63 tech can't handle...oh and are all the pieces there, or are you going to have to hone your carpentry chops with this.... 12" dewalt radialarm/chop saw and a Bosch folding work bench thingy....

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/5/17 6:46 p.m.

Pieces are there. Probably only good for templates. Everything has to come out. The bathroom floor is more air than floor, I just put my finger through a spot by the front door, and walking on the other side is a bit trampoline-y. This floor was screwed down in 1963, so it lasted for 53 years (if my math is right). I think it's worth it to do a good job and get another 53 out of it.
This afternoon is the first time I've really stood in the middle of the mess with a cup of coffee. I'm doing lots of imaginary measuring in my head. I think the new bathroom is going to just be a head closet like in a sailboat. Showering will be done with a handheld unit outside, and that will free up plenty of space to sleep all the Deucelings in comfort. Relatively.
All of the wiring looks like this. Fabric covering. What are the chances the covering is something I need to worry about? It would be easier to not take the inner skin off and run new wires, but if I need to........

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/5/17 6:54 p.m.

Cloth wiring scares the beejeesus outta me. Almost as bad as aluminium wiring.

Sorry, but if it was my family, id be running all new multistrand auto grade wiring.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/5/17 6:58 p.m.

This is all 120V household type wire. I was mostly concerned that in 1963 the favored fire proof coating would have been asbestos.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/5/17 7:02 p.m.

I think that fear is warranted. Is there a way to test for asbestos?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/5/17 7:08 p.m.

Not sure. It's literally a rock. A very cool flexible fibrous rock with neat properties (including cancer) but a rock nonetheless.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
8/5/17 8:20 p.m.

Is treated plywood a consideration when reflooring or is that just adding to all the chemical laden items already present....or does the AirStream web site describe their current methods of construction (materials)?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry Reader
8/5/17 8:38 p.m.

I thought asbestos was only a concern if it becomes airborne dust???

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hSlGWYkNlxwUA9vDqDmftKAPQUbk48ZiXGTz9nSNjmP6mk7hQLuvQorv3OTMecuF