1 ... 4 5 6
Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/17/19 3:00 p.m.

how are you working around the body flex? id have to assume with no floors that its twisting. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/17/19 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

That's why I stopped at two sections of floor out. I'll paint the frame that I have exposed and leap frog my way forward buttoning things up as I go. These trailers (and all trailers really) are designed to work as a whole piece. Start taking parts off and things to to hell quickly. The good thing is that I just have to line up the holes and put rivets back in and it should, in theory, all go back to as square as it was when I started. 

k27463
k27463
9/17/19 5:37 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Interesting detail. The ducting for the forced air furnace (this thing was pimp) has a smaller piece of ducting going off the end that shoots air into a box that surrounded the black water tank. This thing heated your poop. 

The whole reasoning there was that it wouldn't freeze the black tank in colder weather when camping -- modern Airstreams do this too.  They figured it was more efficient to run that off the furnace (which would be running anyway) than to provide separate tank heaters (most new trailers use 110v electric heating pads on the tank, which won't work when dry camping).  That's also why the tank is up inside the underbelly instead of hanging underneath.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/17/19 5:56 p.m.

In reply to k27463 :

I figured that out, I just didn't know it until I pulled the floor up and saw it. One of those "hey, neat" moments that you get when you disassemble things. I don't think of using these in freezing conditions much. 

k27463
k27463 New Reader
9/17/19 6:00 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Heh, fair enough -- most people don't.  Personally, cold weather's best for camping -- no A/C, no power, just you and the great outdoors.

I grew up with as many as five vintage Airstreams in the family at once.  If you have any weird questions feel free to send my way and I'll nudge my dad about it.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
7/20/20 8:41 p.m.

Yes, I know it's bloody hot out and no I'm not sure you're here in Texas (UP perhaps?).....just was wondering where this stands in the scheme of things over there in Porter?

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
5/24/21 10:56 a.m.

Just checking in an saying hello.   

mazdeuce - Seth
5/24/21 12:35 p.m.

Thinking about you just yesterday when being mocked mercilessly by my friends for having an airstream with half a floor in my yard. sad

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
5/24/21 1:05 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Thinking about you just yesterday when being mocked mercilessly by my friends for having an airstream with half a floor in my yard. sad

Pure coincidence,  I know none of your friends. 

1 ... 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r4deyERsiDaypVR0O5OtPN9UmwnHNovy6LJblAmsxbgoQYRrC5mIbfGO0Ik2OXVl