1 2
03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/27/22 12:36 a.m.

Missed this till tonight! Love it. The 620 is my preference; had a 73 from late 82 till early 84. Sure do miss that truck, but wouldn't fit today, much less fit in that!

for the folks that are too young to remember high beam switch on the floor, where they belong, (switches were labeled "lights" "wipers" etc. also. I hate pictographs in cars!!!) 

reminds me of a corny joke from back then "did you know they had to put the switch back on the floor? Yea, the blonds kept getting their feet caught in the steering wheel!"

OK, I'll let myself out...

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
7/27/22 9:21 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

There's only a couple threads there but probably still enough for just that little bracket.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
7/27/22 9:25 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

The later 520/620/720 trucks are really my thing but I just couldn't help but pick this up. It does amusingly make the later trucks looks big.

My favorite feature of my '76 C20 might have been the high beam floor switch. I'm not sad to have another truck with one. The tactile clunk noise is so great and its so convenient.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/27/22 9:42 a.m.

The 720 lost so much of the "personality " by going to angles instead of curves. But everyone did, at that same time. I guess that was why I didn't like it after 79, trucks all started looking the same. Before that for cars, and that trend has continued now with all the "eggs" rolling 'round. 

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
7/27/22 11:28 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

I get that. The 720 kind of just looks like, well, a truck. Which I personally kind of like. That's coming from someone that strongly wants a Nissan Hardbody, though. I just like little trucks.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/27/22 9:48 p.m.

My rear view goggles did not like the 80 ford truck change... huge dent side fan, then and now. Owned a bunch, all along the way  (A. D. D. )

but I look back on it, and like the 80 - 86 better than any of the sun year OBS trucks. Now the 99 Super Duty, that brought out some good lines

I never stopped liking mini trucks, till they got too big. Couple 620s couple Toyotas. Still keep a lookout for my unicorn: last year 620 x-cab!

Id also rock a 720, these days, 'specially x cab  

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
7/27/22 10:44 p.m.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
8/1/22 11:48 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

Mini trucks have always been my thing. Unfortunately the actually small ones are getting old enough that they are hard to find in decent condition.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
8/25/22 10:28 a.m.

Alright, a small amount of progress again. Lower radiator hose is now done and I added a fitting to the water pump for the heater hose.

And I have the fuel system basically wrapped up besides confirming the fuel pump and carb are good to go. That will probably have to wait until its time for start up. Got the fuel tank and fuel filler in.

And the fuel lines are all in place. I got a new cork gasket for the fuel filter but the only element I know will fit the bowl is the OEM part and I haven't ordered that.

So I think the clutch slave and lines is next on my checklist.

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
8/25/22 11:31 a.m.

Lookin' good!

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
8/31/22 10:15 a.m.

Rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder this week. Used my very precise cylinder hone.

And assembled the slave cylinder.

Installed with the new hose.

And installed the clutch hard line.

I tried to bleed the system but my little mityvac vacuum bleeder doesn't seem to be capable of bleeding a system on its own. Or its like the brakes and the master cylinder has a leak somewhere. I'll have to find someone to help me bleed it.

One more system off the list anyway. I'm moving to rebuilding the heater box. Any advice or help is appreciated.

Once that is done and the cooling system is tied together it should just be wiring to get it started (hopefully).

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/31/22 1:42 p.m.

Love the truck!

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
8/31/22 4:17 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

Thanks!

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
9/16/22 4:56 p.m.

So, getting the frustrating little things that have historically caused me to give up on projects. Heater core is cracked in several places and needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I ended up just looping the heater hose for now.

I just want to get what's needed to start it at this point. Knowing it runs will be motivating. Of course, bleeding the clutch revealed that the bleeder valve is leaking for some reason. I added some teflon tape to the threads but I'm not convinced it will help and now I can't seem to get it to bleed again.

In reality, it should just need wiring to run but of course the battery isn't taking a charge so I probably need to replace that.

So, I ended up just doing some easy things to feel like progress was being made. A couple parts weren't installed in the crazy shift linkage.

Got those installed.

I also installed the speedo cable. My list of tasks is a bit shorter anyway.

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
9/16/22 6:08 p.m.

Off to Craigslist to look at old Datsuns, just like every other time this thread updates!!

I know it can be frustrating, but I am enjoying your efforts.

white_averson
white_averson New Reader
9/19/22 11:33 a.m.

In reply to mechanicalmeanderings :

Thanks, I appreciate the support. Hopefully I can work through the (admittedly minor) difficulties and get it running soon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
owtC14hbCAiLJfU8dR9shmYAOMr9IakZp9Vz9WloCVcyD6Cm8OR3MiXE7tHxzRT9