1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74
Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
6/14/17 11:34 p.m.

Nice. I know all about 440 vs. 6bt, having owned several of both and it is tough to beat my 440 crew for towing.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/15/17 6:17 a.m.

Define please "swepty"?

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
6/15/17 6:22 a.m.

Sweptline Dodge truck? Blue truck in the foreground.

ggrjr
ggrjr New Reader
6/15/17 10:20 a.m.

Needs to be a double cab so whole family can fit, then use it to tow the Airstream.'

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
6/15/17 10:23 a.m.

In reply to Cooter:

This is one of the best pictures I've seen in a while.

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
6/15/17 11:10 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

Thank you. Unfortunately, I don't have a build thread to send you to to stop my hijack (sorry), but it is in my GRM "Garage" with a little info about it.

ScottS778
ScottS778 New Reader
6/18/17 10:51 a.m.

On to handling heavy parts.

Once you get the machine up off the tires you can handle them with a used pallet jack, Just a thought.

Scott

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/18/17 12:56 p.m.

Mazdeuce mentioned it fairly early on the in thread, but I look forward to seeing how that goes. Having done most of my wrenching on old BMWs and VWs, I found it moderately alarming what the parts weighed when working on my F-250 or B2500... What does a medium-duty wheel and tire weigh?

All I know from my stint at the auto parts warehouse is that after driving one of these:

Something like this felt like a rocketship:

Never mind getting into my 2002 at the end of the day

Of course, when you actually need to carry stuff, the room and load capacity and unphased handling of the medium duty box truck were awesome. I could fit my route's deliveries into the cargo van, but I vastly preferred the International. As the B2500 insists on deterioriating (how do you paint a $2000 van without putting too much money or time into it?), I find myself semi-seriously poking around for something, in no small part thanks to this thread. Passed a rather disused-looking Ford C-series box yesterday (that body style made it to '90!?), but with no actual for sale sign. I love the old corrugated-aluminum boxes... This is sort of the wrong corrugation, but you get the gist:

Galane
Galane New Reader
7/6/17 9:58 p.m.

Whatever gets done to the IH, we know it'll be cool. :)

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/12/17 5:42 p.m.

so, knowing that Mazdeuce is looking to "up the game"... I've talked to him about providing some constructive feedback, which I'm mainly going to focus on photography. I'm no Ansel Adams, I don't have a degree in Art or Photography, but I've been doing some self-learning and shifting from a "P" shooter to a S/A/M. And, come a year from now, this will be one of the few ways I can contribute to the build.

we'll make this a first test of how the board likes/values this, with the following picture.

mazdeuce wrote:

EXIF Data
Exposure: 1294sec at f/1.0
Focal Length: 2.95mm
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
ISO: 100
Flash: Did Not Fire
Eqv Focal Length: 27.87mm

Exposure
Now, I’ll start off by pointing out that the EXIF data is showing some “weird” stuff, like the exposure being 1294sec at f/1.0. This is odd because the lens is rated at a minimum of f/2.4. I’m going to guess that this was shot at f/2.4 and 1/1200 sec.

This being an “auto” “tablet” shot, I’m not going to discuss this much. But, if I were taking this with “a manual exposure, interchangeable lens camera” I would have tried to shoot as low an aperture as possible to through the stuff behind it out of focus. And, I might have tried a -⅔ EV exposure, to reduce the amount of whites that are “maxing out”

Composition
This is the main thing I want to highlight here. The subject here is definitely the marker light, which is added by the camera being close to it, and shooting at minimum aperture. However, this is confused a little bit by the truck being “directly behind” it in the background. If the camera had been shifted over to the right then the light would have landed in the “dead green grass space” and been bracketed between the blue dodge and the red… thing, thus forming something of a “frame within the frame”. Bonus points would be given for combining that move with the use of ‘the rule of thirds’ and dropping the light into the left hand third or the photo (currently it’s ‘centered-right-ish’ {no flounder intended}).

So, that’s a first attempt at some input, and a first try at the format for providing it.

Hopefully anyone who comes across this understands the stated caveats, and takes this input with the intended purpose of improvement in mind.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/17 4:28 p.m.

It's been a little quiet in here, so here is some inspiration.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/17 4:32 p.m.

Oh look, here's another one.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/20/17 9:55 a.m.

Love how the character line flows from the cab to the living quarters.

Ben_Modified
Ben_Modified Reader
7/20/17 4:15 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Not sure if this is appropriate for the thread as it's a quick PhotoChop that I did a while ago, but a combination Ford and VW Bus makes for a kinda neat COE.

As you might guess...I love it!

iammclovin804
iammclovin804 New Reader
7/20/17 7:20 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead:

Yeah that sure is a good looking light.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/27/17 11:21 a.m.

Mazduece, just finished reading your 2015 OLOA thread (excellent read I must say) when I came upon this on page 13 and I quote " You can also pass the time shopping for early 60's cabover trucks online". It's clearly apparent this 'dream' has had extensive incubation/consideration. My apologies for being a bit skeptical previously, I know look forward to this mechanical escapade/adventure.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/28/17 3:24 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

I have a bit of an eye for the odd. Not sure if it was the evil semi in Knight Rider, or growing up behind the wheel of full size vans, or learning​ about Dakar trucks. Maybe all of those things?
Now that I'm paying attention, I see a LOT of old cabovers sitting in fields and behind barns. Lots of them sitting, almost none driving. Makes me wonder.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
7/28/17 4:21 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead:

Nice comments - I suspect shot at a higher f-stop since the background isn't blown out. You're right it Would look better with more bokeh. Comp wise - When you think you're too close to the subject - go closer. Maybe move the camera to the left to take advantage of the linearity between the lamp and the roof line.

ggrjr
ggrjr New Reader
7/31/17 10:23 a.m.

I didn't think about that option. A Dakar Rally replica build.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/31/17 10:27 a.m.

A Solo II class for COE's perhaps? Man that thought just made me grin...can you see lifting an inside dually??? Ha!!!

Wall-e
Wall-e GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/17 11:14 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
7/31/17 11:21 a.m.

I went to college in Canada for a semester in about 1998. The lounge in the dorm had Speedvision (I think that's the origional name of the network) and I spent a bunch of time there doing homework and watching all of the weird stuff they used to show. I loved the big truck racing and have had a fascination with water cooled brakes since then. So yes, add that to my list of influences.

759NRNG
759NRNG HalfDork
7/31/17 12:57 p.m.

Sure do miss me some (a bunch) Speedvision weirdness.........forgot all about the 'steam show'

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
8/1/17 5:50 p.m.

One of the things we do during the summer is take a walk on the beach every night after dinner. The kids and I talk about a wide variety of stuff. Deucekid#2 is convinced he's headed for YouTube stardom when he gets back and records more videos of him playing video games. We talked about business models and how it's damn hard to make a living from views. The people doing ok are getting sponsored or selling something. I mentioned Ferrari, a very valuable merchandise company that races and builds cars to raise brand awareness.
So we kept talking and he decided that I needed a slogan, a logo on par with Ferrari. He started throwing out ideas, which felt more like being verbally assulted with ideas but that's part of being an excited teen I suppose. After fending off 15 minutes of idiocy, I asked him to repeat his last one. "Think Twice, Wrench Once" Even he is aware of my tendency to stand around with a cup of coffee and claim that I'm making headway.
A bit of good old fashioned analog logo design yielded this: He's demanding 10% of all profits. Negotiations are ongoing, but I think the kid did ok. I need to get back to the computer at home and see what I can do about making myself a new set of coveralls for this project.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/1/17 5:58 p.m.

Nice! I think it resonates, and the guys at Project Binky seem to have a similar bent, too (speaking of Internet stardom).

Rarely has stopping for coffee (or tea) caused me to do things worse. Unless we blame that for those moments where I try to do one more fiddly thing when I should stop to pee.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 74

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Xw1iE0vpZWQuaVL5MUrOgAR9JP3QW9caF4We5EcWJt87dQbxrMzlzC3pzKNyPyRE