1 2 3 4 5
MarshHoltRacing
MarshHoltRacing New Reader
4/16/19 5:16 p.m.
RossD said:

Did you ever get brake parts? Want some?

Thanks RossD! I found a NOS 22mm master on ebay and swapped it out. Of course, I rounded the fittings and had to redo most of the brakelines in the parking lot of my old apartment. Luckily, I now am renting a house with a small garage! It feels great to be able to do this stuff without worrying too much about what your neighbors think.

I saw you were test fitting some VW IRS stuff for your R8. Does that mean your getting rid of the 3 lug stuff? If so, I might be interested.

@purplepeopleeater  I might redo the clamps to something like you are describing. The laser cut tube, although thick wall, seems like its not sealing well(I think I have a slight intake leak)

@Mezzanine  Thanks! How are you liking your black braided AN fittings in your X1/9? I saw your thread again, and I think I want to redo the fuel lines to that stuff after I drive it for a bit. I like how understated it looks.  

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
4/16/19 5:58 p.m.

Quite pleased with the fuel lines in my Fiat. Understated but clean was just what I was looking for. I've done fuel lines that were much harder, so that stuff was very refreshing; no leaks, no fussy installs.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
4/16/19 7:09 p.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

As soon as my car is sitting on 4x100 wheels with tires, I will let you know whats available.

MarshHoltRacing
4/18/19 9:41 p.m.

Had some free time today, so I mounted the fuel rail with some 1/8" 6061 angle and cut a Hall effect spacer with a coworkers cnc router. You can see the super low profile 42mm Jenvey DCOE throttle body. I chose this because I want a nice graceful fabricated plenum from the intercooler/supercharger, and the rear wheel tub is pretty close. Pro tip: if you use a jenvey, stock BMW E36 TPS sensors bolt on with one bolt(not 2, but alot of TPSs only use 1 anyway). The D-shaft is also the same. It remains to be seen if MS will calibrate correctly, but it saves me 130$ from buying the Jenvey TPS.

I also cut down the stock water pump pulley to line up with the new v-belt location. My camera died, but basically, I chucked the pulley, parted it, welded on a blank disc, re-chucked it and bored the register. I'm now waiting on a new set of sump gaskets, and I need to wire a few more things.

MarshHoltRacing
5/20/19 11:17 p.m.

Got the bad boy running! looks like my o2 sensor died from four years of idleness. luckily innovate motorsports is on amazon primeyes

Doc Brown
Doc Brown Dork
5/21/19 5:42 a.m.

Another megasquirt success ! 

MarshHoltRacing
5/28/19 4:56 p.m.

Finally built a linkage that uses the stock throttle cable. I had to grab the rear throttle shaft, as the front has the BMW TPS. I am really close to driving it now.

Ironically, the CNC at work and my CNC are both down, so I had to cut these the old fasioned way. Oh well, they'll get me going for now!

MarshHoltRacing
5/29/19 2:33 p.m.

Got it running well enough to take it to work today. I fixed the o2 issues(needed a few recalibrations) and got the fan running. Its a puller that isnt reversible, so I just pulled the decklid for now. I have a reversible one on the way so I can pull air from under the car and push it out the louvers on the decklid.  Without the lid I stayed at about 190 degs in 80ish deg weather.

Anyone have a particular method to tuning I should use? Should I start by locking out timing at 20 degs and just play with the fuel?  How do i really know what good timing looks like, as far as seat of the pants? The farm roads out here are great for doing steady state tuning, but Im just tuning a bit here and a bit there. Im not really sure how to dial it in methodically.  

I am also considering doing a raspberry pi dash, if anyone here has any thoughts on it?

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
5/30/19 12:34 p.m.

MarshHoltRacing
5/30/19 4:43 p.m.

thanks Mezzanine,

Makes sense about the ignition. Knock is the only way to know if you've gone too far with the timing and the engine starts trying to reverse itself at high speed...

I saw a youtube video with a guy who made a cheap stethoscope out of earmuffs, some hose and fittings. I might try something like that. 

Ive done a few MS conversions but they were fuel only. The GSXR ITB setup I had on my 57 chevy was impossible to tune without alpha-N.

This one has pretty good vac signal because each cylinder pair shares a butterfly. Im getting about 33kPa at idle. I might keep going down the speed-density path, but I can try a TPS based tune as well. I think you can blend the two as well?

This is a setup I cast for my TR7 to replace the SU's. I hated that motor. A triumph stag v8 without a cylinder bank. wieghed the same as the v8 too. I lunched the head with a stuck valve and parked it in my parents yard

MarshHoltRacing
5/30/19 10:01 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

After spending a good bit of the evening trying to tune in speed density , I might have to eat my words. I have a pretty solid table below 80kpa and 3000rpm, but once the throttle is open 40-50%, MAP is all in at 100kPa. I might save this tune and give alpha-N a shot. Maybe a blend is an option

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/31/19 9:00 a.m.

Just found this project, and I really like what you're doing here!

Very nice planning, design, and fabricating.

Also, it makes me want to add a rotary system to my cnc plasma cutter!

MarshHoltRacing
5/31/19 9:13 p.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Thank man,

definitely in the stage of a build where I second-guess what I'm doing and ask why I mess with cars in the first place. I appreciate the encouragement. 

If you do add a rotary, I can show you some tricks in solidworks to cut copes with only 3 axes(as opposed to the 5 you need for a true cope) Bendtech also has a program(think its a couple hundred bucks though). 

In regards to tuning, I tried rescaling the VE table in speed density, so the bins are a bit more sensitive to the higher kPa values. Much better response. I still have some flatspots in mid RPMs at high load, but that might be more timing than fuel. I am heading out to sonoma for the historic races for the weekend, so ill have a nice long drive through some hills to datalog and tune a bit. 

trimbledc
trimbledc New Reader
6/1/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to MarshHoltRacing :

Awesome car!  I had one in high school - was a family car, brother got rear ended and the insurance company totalled it.  We kept ithe car but didnt repair much and then I got to drive it to school.  I routinely had to change one of the tires after school due to a slow leak and frequently had to get a push start from my track team buddies.  It was in rough shape even before being hit.  The favorite family memory about this car is my mom driving my brother to OHare airport and hitting a bump on a highway on ramp and the shifter just popped up and out and lands on the floor.  Being my mom she just grabbed it and jammed it back in and kept driving!  Great memories - especially since the "good car" we had was a '64 Lincoln Continental!

MarshHoltRacing
6/9/19 9:55 p.m.

I wanted to build a digital gauge pod for the R10, so i rigged up a 7” touchscreen for a raspberry pi to run TunerStudio on linux. I’ll set it up to boot on power up in fullscreen mode. This little guy will hopefully sit in a retro styled gauge pod where the old AM radio was. 

MarshHoltRacing
8/8/19 8:59 a.m.

I got a pair of seats with some reasonable bolster and headrests and I had to build a frame to mount them. I didnt want to drill holes in the car, so the frame uses a few of the standard seat mounting points as well as the m12 mounting points for the seat belts. Luckily, the standard seats are in pretty good condition and will bolt into my R16.

I also bought a turbo EFI Renault Fuego 1.6l motor and 5 speed. This guy is a cleon-Alu(all aluminum w/ Iron wet liners) hemi crossflow. In standard form these were good for 106hp in the US spec, and 132hp in european spec. Since this architecture was used in many a110s, and lotus europas, there are quite a few aftermarket parts comparatively.  For example, I can get big bore jugs that can bring the disp to 1.8l.

Its currently in transit, so I'll hopefully have an update when I get it

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/8/19 10:05 a.m.

I like that seat adapter frame a lot.  I've got some real weirdness in the seat mounting on the TVR, and doing similar would solve a lot of problems.

badwaytolive
badwaytolive Reader
8/8/19 10:56 a.m.

Great thread, thanks for sharing!

Aaaaand that's all I got.

damen

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
8/8/19 4:46 p.m.
MarshHoltRacing said:

I audibly squealed when I saw this photo 

MarshHoltRacing
8/9/19 4:59 p.m.

Thanks guys.

Ive been wanting better gearing to drive around on the freeways up here. Next week a buddy and I are driving from Davis to Laguna Seca. It wont be fun being rapped out at 4k going 60mph on the I80. I think we'll try to hit the coast above SF and just take the 1 down. Other than the engine and gearing , the car is pretty happy on the freeway. The steering rack has very little slop and the bushings are still tight enough.

Of course with this new transaxle, Im now thinking about getting rid of the swing axles, adding coilovers, swapping the hubs to miata 4x100's, brakes, etc. I am trying to exercise some restraint, mainly because the 3 lug and the swingaxles give this car its character. 

MarshHoltRacing
1/4/20 8:15 p.m.

Last fall, I built a rough koogleworks stryle dustpan fairing on the front from some 3003. Its a bit rough because I was doing it by hand and ran out of patience. I think a planishing hammer is in order. 3003 is a dream to work though. I also had some friends over to help me lift the reverse flow iron motor out to see what needs to get swapped for the 1565cc crossflow. So far, Ive determined that the bellhousing, clutch and input shaft need to get swapped. I have a 336 trans from my r16 that I understand has all the right bits to convert my 330 trans to a much stronger box. This seems to be the most expedient way to get the car driving again. Further down the road, I'll figure out the NG3/5 5 speed swap.

I also got a set of jenvey TBs and a manifold for it, and I'm in the middle of the motor rebuild now. being an EFI motor with ignition control, the Fuego motor came with a nice 72-2 tone wheel on the flyweel. Should be easy to sort out. Im thinking I might do denso coil on plugs for this motor, but I might stay with the Ford EDIS, not sure yet.

Also over the holiday I went back to AZ and grabbed my Simca! Im trying not to get too distracted by another project, but Its good to have it close, not 900mi away.

MarshHoltRacing
1/11/20 11:18 p.m.

I have the motor just about back together and I received my 40mm low profile Jenvey throttle bodies. Hopefully these will give me some clearance for the turbo manifold when the time comes. The plan is to run it without the turbo for a while until I get the tune sorted out. I'm thinking I'll order an alpine a110 header, as the mounting should be nearly identical.

RandolphCarter
RandolphCarter New Reader
1/12/20 8:58 a.m.
MarshHoltRacing said:

Love the front air dam - nice touch!

In the picture of the Simca, what is the brown wagon with the white top in the background?

MarshHoltRacing
1/12/20 4:21 p.m.

In reply to RandolphCarter :

Its my 57 chevy wagon. Its the one with the GXSR throttle bodies a few posts back. 283 .060 overbore, powerpak heads and a close ratio super T10 4 speed. 

MarshHoltRacing
1/20/20 6:58 p.m.

Used the holiday monday to pull the 1565cc 821 motor and trans from the r16. I pulled the 336 transaxle off as well to see what I am up against. I was hoping the input mainshaft would simply pull out for swapping over to my r10 trans. There is a roll pin that looks pretty inaccessible holding that shaft on. Unfortunately, I think this means the case needs to get split so I can get to it. Oh well, I think I can still get a gasket & seal kit from france. Its the same trans they used in Europas as well, so that might be another source for parts.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aB7ue30cS23PvOyiQwOe8bjDU7TENNasGJSZ9lag6aIcfLzyNlFm2jJ5ppPA9GSj