1 ... 8 9 10 11
birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/27/21 3:47 p.m.
Fairlady68 said:

In reply to damarble :

I would be interested in "your guys" contact info.  I have a '68 datsun myself that I have been trying to figure out what engine to put in it.  Pretty sure I have settled on the 2.0 but would be great to talk to someone that has done some engine management with them before I pull the trigger.

You could buy dherr's 2.0 Ecoboost w/ 6 spd, which would help me out by preventing me from spending the money on it. 

damarble
damarble Reader
8/28/21 12:17 a.m.
Fairlady68 said:

In reply to damarble :

I would be interested in "your guys" contact info.  I have a '68 datsun myself that I have been trying to figure out what engine to put in it.  Pretty sure I have settled on the 2.0 but would be great to talk to someone that has done some engine management with them before I pull the trigger.

I talk to him through FB, his page is https://www.facebook.com/bill.holdmybeer

damarble
damarble Reader
8/28/21 12:19 a.m.
neatus said:

In reply to damarble :

I would leave it 4x4 and swap in a Geo Tracker motor or Sidekick 1.6 motor.  Did one about 12 years ago.  Is a nice and easy swap and adds a little more horespower and fuel injection.  Makes it into a tiny super billy goat!

Oh it would still be 4x4 because of the divorced transfer case. But for now I'm just driving it and looking for parts.

damarble
damarble Reader
8/29/21 6:33 p.m.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Got the frame-side trans and motor mounts fully welded in.

Cut out most of the rotted cowl and trimmed up my firewall cuts then flanged them. Piecing this back together is going to be fun. It really has to be done before the motor goes back in though or it will be near impossible. 

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/29/21 7:11 p.m.

The sheet metal of the cowling is so thin, have you looked at the Datsunparts.com part number 1342?  I have one of these in my 1970, 1600 and it does make a difference in the peddle feel.

What thickness of metal are you using to rebuild and strengthen the cowling?

damarble
damarble Reader
8/29/21 7:37 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

I thought about getting that but now that I'm moving the steering column over a little bit it wouldn't fit. I will probably make something myself.

I haven't decided on sheet metal thickness. Maybe 16ga to give it a little more beef?

jr02518
jr02518 HalfDork
8/29/21 7:52 p.m.

Not wanting to add anything to your list, but..

How are you working with and around the front suspension and steering on the car?

I know what I'm dealing with on refreshing a stock roadster. Starting with a completely worn set of A-arm bushings, both top and bottom. I am forever amazed that yes everything is available, just have to pay for it.

damarble
damarble Reader
8/29/21 10:44 p.m.

In reply to jr02518 :

I got very lucky that due to the low mileage all the joints are in good condition. I just cleaned them up and put new boots on and fresh grease.

neatus
neatus New Reader
10/5/21 10:14 p.m.

In reply to damarble :

Any updates?  This is an exciting project.

damarble
damarble Reader
10/8/21 8:56 p.m.
neatus said:

In reply to damarble :

Unfortunately it's been shelved for the time being. I'm trying to get my house in sellable condition, relocate, and find a different job.

birdmayne
birdmayne GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/8/21 10:05 p.m.
damarble said:
neatus said:

In reply to damarble :

Unfortunately it's been shelved for the time being. I'm trying to get my house in sellable condition, relocate, and find a different job.

Don't know where in E WA you are located, but if you need a hand, drop me a line. I'm happy to help fellow gearheads out whenever I can

neatus
neatus New Reader
10/9/21 7:13 a.m.

In reply to damarble :

I here ya. 

damarble
damarble Reader
10/9/21 8:33 p.m.

In reply to birdmayne :

Thanks!

damarble
damarble Reader
12/5/21 6:39 p.m.

Still trying to move but not too far now, the job situation was sorted out when they gave me a huge promotion.

No further work on the Datsun but I did take a little time to regear the Zuk tcase and put 31s on.

StripesSA1
StripesSA1 Reader
12/5/21 11:25 p.m.
damarble said:

Still trying to move but not too far now, the job situation was sorted out when they gave me a huge promotion.

No further work on the Datsun but I did take a little time to regear the Zuk tcase and put 31s on.

Nice looking SJ. Any build details? 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/6/21 9:18 a.m.

31s are perfect on a Samurai. I used to have a white one on 31s and it got me into and back out of so many crazy offroad situations. They're such fun vehicles.

damarble
damarble Reader
12/19/21 11:23 a.m.

In reply to StripesSA1 :

All stock except for body lift and 6.5 transfer case gears. Some day the body lift is going to come out and I'll do a spring over, if I don't skip right over to yota axles and links. I also have a 1.8L Isuzu 4BF1 diesel and 5 speed waiting for it. This all will be after the Datsun drives, right now it works as it is.

damarble
damarble Reader
2/7/22 2:56 p.m.

The last week I've been having a blast driving my 2.3 ecoboost. Too bad the Datsun isn't done yet though. It'll get there.

neatus
neatus New Reader
3/16/22 12:22 p.m.

In reply to damarble :

Wow!  What a nice rig!  Would be great to see the Datsun EcoBoost parked next to the Bronco EcoBoost!

Akbarratt
Akbarratt GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/18/22 6:46 p.m.

Hey Mike, Bryan over in CDA, just saw this thread, and figured i'd better recover my GRM account.

I need to get a build thread started here on my Datsun.

neatus
neatus New Reader
3/30/22 10:12 a.m.

I have a calender reminder set to check this thread every 15 days.  Just checking in.

neatus
neatus New Reader
6/2/22 9:56 a.m.
damarble said:

The last week I've been having a blast driving my 2.3 ecoboost. Too bad the Datsun isn't done yet though. It'll get there.

have you learned anything about the EcoBoost since you have owned this bad boy?

damarble
damarble Reader
9/23/22 7:12 p.m.

In reply to neatus :

Not really anything technical but I do love it. It's an efficient little mill, 20 mpg in the Bronco should mean 40 in the Datsun. The Bronco tune restricts boost in 1st gear to protect the driveline, it's not super fast off the line. 

I should be working on the Datsun but yet again something else came along to distract me. 

damarble
damarble Reader
8/1/23 2:09 p.m.

Well the Datsun build is pivoting. I found a 66 Bronco that I think will be a better home for the 2.3, so it's coming out of the Datsun. Instead I'll be on the lookout for a SR20 variant or K24 for the Datsun.

neatus
neatus New Reader
8/10/23 6:26 p.m.

In reply to damarble :

I am so sad..... but also....cool!  I just swapped a KA24DE into my 73 Datsun 620, and as far as swaps go, it was fairly straight forward and really added some fun factor to the truck. If you have any KA24 questions, let me know.  Here are some pics of my swapped truck.  Looking forward to seeing the Bronco swap. 

1 ... 8 9 10 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SB2EYynN8ixLI1XvjH6dvEbVEPTA94Q1PdXxDTuK0762LMWxjx8xPA8Ugsxcu07V