8/25/20 10:47 a.m.

I forgot about driving it in epoxy. 

Sorry for that!!!!

java230
java230 UberDork
8/25/20 11:05 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I hit metal.... 

And Yes Id like to drive in Epoxy for awhile. But I want it to be half decent too. I do have more of the pink stuff, I can spray spots if needed.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/25/20 3:26 p.m.

Excellent job! I love the pink, and I'm really curious about the product itself. It's likely too soon for you to have all the information to answer if you'd use this stuff again, but I'd love to hear what you think once you get epoxy onto it. 

java230
java230 UberDork
8/25/20 3:43 p.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

Ill see if I cna get a better picture, my phone doesn't like it, but it really does go gray! 

Ill let you know when I am done.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/25/20 4:14 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to Mezzanine :

That's funny!

java230
java230 UberDork
8/25/20 5:12 p.m.
NOHOME said:
java230 said:

In reply to Mezzanine :

That's funny!

Ouch

java230
java230 UberDork
8/26/20 6:08 p.m.

Turn the saturation way down and you can see it! 

java230
java230 UberDork
8/27/20 7:46 p.m.

Should I go 150, then 220? The 220 is taking forever to knock down. Or just go slow and easy with the 220?

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/27/20 8:04 p.m.

I'd give the 150 a try.

Looking great!

collinskl1
collinskl1 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/20 6:55 a.m.

Just dropping in to say that I love this project and admire all the work you're putting in, especially learning as you go. Keep it up - I'm excited to see how it progresses!

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
8/28/20 7:25 a.m.

Coarse makes flat, fine makes shine,

150 till you are flat.

java230
java230 UberDork
8/28/20 9:42 a.m.

In reply to collinskl1 :

Thanks!!

NOHOME said:

Coarse makes flat, fine makes shine,

150 till you are flat.

I repeated this in my head a couple times, and grabbed the 150 after posting about 150 vs 220. It definitely cuts it flat quicker. This stuff is sanding out pretty nicely.

Started the rounded soft sanders on the curves. They work pretty nicely. Blew through tto bare metal again though. Think I should hit them with the pink stuff or just epoxy over?

[​IMG]

Curves on the hood ridges looking goo. Need a bit more blocking on the flats.

[​IMG]

Initial scuff going most of the way down.

[​IMG]

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Dork
8/28/20 11:14 a.m.

Hmm...I don't think I'd apply another coat of the high build just because you hit metal. Unless you need more high build to flatten. 

I think going straight to epoxy might be the next step assuming you've gotten it as flat as you want, but mostly because the pink stuff is like drywall texture and you'd have to re-block all the stuff you spray again.

java230
java230 UberDork
8/28/20 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine :

It's getting epoxy next, I just didn't know if that bare metal would "flash" 

java230
java230 UberDork
9/1/20 1:12 p.m.

Are we sick of pink sanding pictures?

Got a quick 150 pass down both sides done.

Worked the hood more, getting pretty close I think. 

Valence sucks.

Just kinda been gloing around on panels. A bit here a bit there. Soft sander on edges/curves. Gonna take a lot more shoulder work, but this stuff seems to be sanding out nicely.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
9/1/20 1:23 p.m.

That is looking really good and you must be able to see that from where you stand.

The bare metal is high so you don't need more high fill over that. Get it as good as you can and shoot your epoxy. Recall that the epoxy will get sanded down a bit when you go to paint eventually and will act as a fill of its own. What it does not put right you can spot fix at the time. I am sure that by then you will have identified a few pet peeve spots.

Pete

java230
java230 UberDork
9/1/20 1:33 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

I can see all the issues from where I stand, but I am seeing progress! When its all nice and gray and smooth its pretty nice. Going to finish off with the 150 still I don't see more pink dots, then do a 220 pass probably. Just need more hours of sanding time. half hour here and there is going to take a long time.

On the roof, I have lowered "ribs", when doing the lace, should I tape them off? Seems like it might bleed strangely in them if they lace isn't down tight in the dip

In reply to java230 :

how wide are the lowered ribs and how far apart? might make sense to paint the ribs a complementary color and do the lace only in the "raised" panels between. there aren't really any hard fast rules.

java230
java230 UberDork
9/1/20 4:07 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah The panel look is kinda standard. I wanted to do it as one solid one, but I don't think it will work.

Ribs are 1-1.25" wide, about 14" apart.

I guess you could always cut some narrow strips of lace which might lay down better in the ribs.

or paint the roof as one big panel but trim the lace so it doesn't go into the ribs at all.

wawazat
wawazat Dork
9/1/20 5:04 p.m.

Man I know you're on the lace look but I keep seeing some subtle scallops on the hood with a two tone split on that body break line.  

java230
java230 UberDork
9/1/20 7:53 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Scallops? 

It's going white roof down to door sills. Gray below 

03Panther
03Panther HalfDork
9/1/20 10:01 p.m.

Nope, not sick of the pictures; LOVE 'em! Glad we got to see a pepto - pink IH... even more glad to see it turning gray... looking nice and flat from here. Gonna look great in epoxy while ya drive it some.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/1/20 10:06 p.m.

This is not my project or my time or anything so you know what to do with this next bit; I cannot imagine taking this thing out of the booth to drive it for a little while (even a year or two) in epoxy and then send it back in and strip it back down and clean it up etc etc to put more paint on again.  I would want to get all of the paint done and then put the glass back in and the interior and yadda yadda I've already said too much.

java230
java230 UberDork
9/1/20 11:05 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Not too much and totally fair. We will see how it goes. If this blocks out easy I may keep. Going, but honestly my time is super limited. That's what is keeping this so slow. Half hour of sanding here and there is going to take years.

If the epoxy looks good, I may drive it. If I'm really unhappy I may keep going. 

Option 3 is spray epoxy, minimal prep, and spray paint over it. Say block with 400 and call it good maybe. Idk.... Still seems like short cutting. 

1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 ... 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XKbPWnKSv1CBiGkwJMcTyyRsfOGeAhWjbfZOcmPvd424lEYetOuoNQXTkwIQMqTn