1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42
MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
7/8/22 11:52 p.m.

Just a quick question.  Are you still going to "lace" the top?  Basecoat the lighter shade an then cover it so you can basecoat the darker over may not be a one day option. Judging by the size of the roof.  There are ways to extend the window of time for clearing over it.  I only know Glasurit way of extending the time you must clear it. JMO. 

Looks amazing from the pictures I have seen. Never saw pink primer before!?!  I was glad to read that you epoxied right away when you bought it in bare steel.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/9/22 8:53 a.m.

In for the push.

Great work as always!

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/9/22 11:03 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Yes still going to lace it. I am planning to try to do it all in one day. Base coat in white, wait long enough to mask (2hr?), lace with mid coat clear and pearl, then unmask and clear over it.

Hopefully it's doable in one long day. I can keep the garage at 75 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/9/22 4:12 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

I think you are on a good schedule. While I think one hour would be OK, two hours is plenty to flash and be ready for next product. 

That said, I thought two hours to do the firewall, and it took six. Different situation and all my doing, but yeah, this stuff always takes longer than I think. I dedicate an entire day to spraying a car cause it always takes that long.

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/9/22 4:43 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Thanks, I need to call SPI and talk to the tech guy about flash time to taping. I'm supposed to have 10min flash between coats of clear. 

So the lace will be non-pearl white and the rest of the roof will be pearl white? Or is there some color in there?

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/9/22 5:51 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

White base color on the roof. Then I am thinking a "platinum" light Grey peal, dosed may more than normal in clear for the second "Color" in the lace. Basically kinda subtle lace. 

TAC_Rx
TAC_Rx New Reader
7/9/22 10:02 p.m.

Can you shoot a test panel of your lace plan on a junkyard hood/door/etc? That's a lot of work to commit to and have it not turn out 100% how you envision it. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/9/22 10:29 p.m.

In reply to TAC_Rx :

I probably could..... But send it! cheeky

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
7/10/22 11:20 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Yes a call to a paint rep. would be a good idea. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/11/22 12:38 a.m.

In reply to MyMiatas :

Planning to, the SPI tech guy is pretty amazing. I have chatted with him a fair bit to date! 

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
7/16/22 2:34 p.m.

Akku posted these on the RR forum and I thought of you. You have a lot of room for art on that roof.

java230
java230 PowerDork
7/16/22 3:02 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Damn.... I don't think I have those skills. That's dead sexy.

I'm thinking I need to just take a couple days off work and make this happen. I don't have time on weekends 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/12/22 3:22 p.m.

OK boys. Wife is flying out of town tonight. I have a new HF spray gun, paint and plastic. Hold me accountable for this!!!

Goal is prep tonight , hang plastic, blow out garage, clean floors, stack E36 M3 out of the way, first wipe/scrub down since its been so long. Maybe hit roof tomorrow, but that seems optimistic. Ill get the heat up to 75 tonight either way.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/12/22 3:31 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

hells yeah!

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/12/22 3:35 p.m.

You should give us your cell phone number so we can pester you every 20 minutes. I wouldn't actually do it but hell yeah I'm glad to see this back on top!

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/12/22 4:23 p.m.

Thanks guys!

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

May be needed to make sure I am not inside watching stupid TV and drinking beer.... She was gone last week too, but covid killed me and I had zero energy.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/13/22 8:46 a.m.

Got access to all around the truck. Did a first sweep on the floor. Cranked the heat up.... And my mini split iced over.... It's cold in there this morning. 

Started building some cribbing to put planks on for roof access. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/13/22 4:50 p.m.

Mini split isn't working. Grrr. Going old school. 

12/13/22 5:04 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Should warm that bottle nicely. Got blast shield?

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/13/22 5:29 p.m.

Ha! Just co2 for the keggerator. And it's empty.... 

But it's hot up by the front here. 

Leaf blower had been employed. Wax a grease on the roof, wipe #1 done. Hanging plastic shortly. 

Shavarsh
Shavarsh HalfDork
12/13/22 5:44 p.m.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing how the painting goes!

12/13/22 5:45 p.m.

i bet i'm not the only one here with half a chub over this, although i might be the only one to admit it.

wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L)
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/13/22 5:49 p.m.

Also at half chub.

I'm not even feeling awkward about it.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/13/22 5:59 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i bet i'm not the only one here with half a chub over this, although i might be the only one to admit it.

Half? Only half?

Slacker. 

1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SQu9t0GvOkKJQYgYJdjE7yTHZeTCt9eHHp7ldNQdPIHWMIvTMbBdY0rL7oLqnfcH