1 ... 38 39 40 41 42
java230
java230 PowerDork
12/13/22 6:04 p.m.

Damn boys, I am just in the garage sweating (pellet stove FTW), and we are at half chub?! blush

Paint all taken out of the closet in the house and flipped to the other side.... I dont have stir sticks, or mixing containers it turns out...

Sooooooo Question, how much pearl and how much black? I was planning on a quart sprayable. 2oz pearl? .5 oz black?

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/13/22 7:05 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

i bet i'm not the only one here with half a chub over this, although i might be the only one to admit it.

Half? Only half?

Slacker. 

I'm 56 years old and at work.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/13/22 7:51 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

i bet i'm not the only one here with half a chub over this, although i might be the only one to admit it.

Half? Only half?

Slacker. 

I'm 56 years old and at work.

They make pills for that.

Java: keep it up! Youll have iy shot by the weekend. Also, oriellys has mixing cups and strainers. You just gotta ask the commercial guy. Probably napa too.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/13/22 7:54 p.m.

Thanks guys! It's hot in here. 

I'm thinking maybe tomorrow? I only have one meeting in the am..... Hmmmm

I have a Wesco on the way home that should have everything. 

However I just realized the gun I bought is a 1.4 tip.... Do I need a 1.7???

Oh yeah there is a cat I have to evict in here.... 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 4:23 p.m.

Well I got. Home I about 3 hours later than planned.... Gonna have to shoot late this evening. 

How hot is too hot for the panels..... pellet stove did good.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/14/22 4:25 p.m.

Well, direct sun was bad. I try to shoot outside at 70-80 degree ambient with panels that aren't warm to tge touch. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 4:56 p.m.

The tech support guy, who is awesome at spi, said 75 to 80 is fantastic. I have a feeling it's going to flash really fast though

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/14/22 5:02 p.m.

Got a feeling humidity has a role to play in the game. A medium reducer is called for based on the temp, so that is the safe zone. 

What reducer does is keep your paint liquid long enough for it to become a flat sheet of fluid. If the reducer goes off too fast, you get orange peel. Maybe not a real issue with the techno-disco roof pattern you are going for.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 5:26 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Well good news, I got slow reducer! Outdoor humidity is currently 84% hopefully much less in the garage.

I turned the stove off. It's too hot to work. 

But it's masked. Has a second going thru with wax and grease. 

Planks set up both sides! 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/14/22 5:31 p.m.

Oh berkeley yes!!

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
12/14/22 5:33 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

YEEEHAAAWW!!!

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 5:46 p.m.

Thanks guys. I'm stoked too. 

Can't tape or clear until tomorrow..... 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/14/22 5:56 p.m.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 6:20 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

cheeky

12/14/22 6:43 p.m.
java230 said:

In reply to NOHOME :

cheeky

Tell me they're D cups, you dirty boy!

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 7:40 p.m.

Well berkeley me running. I couldn't get the gun dialed in. Thought maybe it was just something in the airline when I started (I literally just broke the stupid plastic filter....) Its everywhere. Should have stopped while I was ahead..... Guess I am back to sanding. Ugh. Im depressed now.

Only thing I could come up with was lacquer thinner to clean up the seam sealer? But that was months ago.

The only smooth spot....

Rough and fish eyes....

Guess I wont be doing another coat tonight or clear tomorrow....

Dusterbd13-michael
12/14/22 7:57 p.m.

Well, E36 M3. 

Been there. I know how you feel. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 8:03 p.m.

I was thinking maybe the paint was too old, but it feels smooth and hard already.... 

I think I'm going to get a beer and watch TV. I don't even know where to start now

12/14/22 9:01 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Time for a test panel. Got a junkyard nearby?

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/14/22 9:17 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

I think I hava fender.... I'll go look. May have tossed it. 

Nope it's gone.... I have some bare alu panels? 

Azryael
Azryael HalfDork
12/15/22 10:28 a.m.

Ahh, noo! Situations like this and not actually having the means to make a little paint booth are what keep me from laying paint on a car of my own. I want to be able to do it, but the idea of failure is depressing.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/15/22 10:39 a.m.

I have had similar issues in the past with not prepping properly or allowing time for my prep agent to dissipate fully I don't know if that's your issue but that's what it looks similar to in my limited experience

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/15/22 10:52 a.m.

You mention using laquer thinner to wipe the panel. I had problems with that when I painted my first car. I scuffed the mess with 600 and used actual grease and silicone remover. Problem went away and had worked going forward. When wiping panels, wipe in one direction so that you dont just smear muck about going back and forth.

If you still have that stupid little strainer thing in the bottom of the cup, get rid of it. Its sole job is to ruin paint jobs. You filter your paint when it gets poured into the gun.

I test the gun pattern on masking paper taped to the garage door. It is smooth enough to give you a good idea of how it is going to lay down. If it is spitting blobs of paint, that tends to be too low pressure or too thick paint.

Keep in mind that the pressure at your compressor has no relation to the pressure at the gun. You need a pressure gauge at the gun and you need to set the pressure with the gun trigger pulled. The drop from compressor to gun can be dramatic unless you have really large air hose.

java230
java230 PowerDork
12/15/22 11:45 a.m.

Spoke at length with SPI tech. Berry is awesome, again. 

He looked at the pictures, its hard to diagnose over pictures and the phone, but here is his best ideas. First, likely contamination. I wiped the roof, the contaminants were wicked up into the solution, which ran down the sides and dried there before I could wipe it back off. I did wipe the sides down too, but possibly big deposits in those areas were hard to re-lift after it dried.

Laquer thinner, it was months ago, but similar idea, he said since it flashes even faster than wax a grease it deposits contaminants even more in a similar manner. But it should be well flashed off and the not the root issue. 

We talked air lines and filters, I did not drain my tank (petcock i think is stuck, and VERY hard to access. I do have a water trap (T with 6" pipe and ball vlave) just after the flex coming out of the compressor. I did open that, not real water. Then it goes thru my "cooler"
 (big coller coil thing) and into another water trap. Then rises ~4' into a typical water oil separator/regulator (admiditally a cheap one). Then my 1/2" hose to the gun. I did try adding my dessicant filter right at the gun after the first issues showed up. No change. Tried a different gun, no change.

So the reg/filter may not catch tiny particles. I did not use a little round filter at the gun, but Berry said they are pretty useless anyway. Perhaps part of the issue. I will try to drain the tank.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

I wiped with lots of wax and grease ~1-1.5 hours before spray, heat was on at 75+ in the garage, I would think it would have flashed, but maybe not completely. I did tack rag right before spraying, perhaps that dropped something?

In reply to NOHOME :

See above on the laquer, not useing for panel wipe. I will need to be more careful on my wax and grease remover application.... I did more scrubby scrubby. But multiple times!!

Nope screen was removed from the cup. SPI clearly has that in their instructions :)

I was spraying on cardboard.... I think my finger was hitting the air adjuster on the base of the gun and I kept trying to compnesate. I was good and frustrated at that point....

Yes I need to get reg on gun, I did try my clear gun that has reg on gun, same issues. And I think I broke the reg. See frustration above....

I have a 1/2" hose, set pressue to ~30 at the wall with trigger pulled. 

Berry wiht SPI suggests wet sanding wiht 800 or 600 at most to knock it all back to smooth. Then shooting another coat over it. I also would not have had nearly enough paint to do two coats. I used 1.5 qts sprayable, and did not even have enough to do the windshiled frame around the bottom. I also think I was putting it on too thin.... The one good spot is on the back window frame, where its tight to the garage door, I think I was much closer to the panel and put a lot more on. That 3"x18" strip is glossy and smooth!

I need to get this thing done. I was on a roll, feeling excited. Last night sucked. A lot. I scheduled today off to shoot clear and do the lace :( I still feel a bit crappy. But that wont help anything. My wife comes home (part of why I could get things done is no one complains about long hours in the garage) tomrrow.... I will try to keep making progress. I ordered 2 more quarts of white, one more grey just in case. and SPI's wax and grease remover. Just in case again. More $$, and now go wet sand for berkeleying hours. Of course the door frames are all rounded and curvey. 

Need to stop and buy paper on the way home. And a new DA.....

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
12/15/22 12:12 p.m.

I have my compressor pressure at about 60 to get 24 at the gun.  

In my opinion, this pic is surface contamination.

Cardboard is too absorbent to be a good indicator of results. My first test is to spray some gun-wash while I look at the spray against a backlight. You can get a pretty good idea if the product is well aerosolized and not spitting. 

Repeat with paint and then adjust the pattern on a piece of masking paper. I do a few hits to get the pattern as wide as I want, one where I hold the trigger a bit longer to see how "drippy" the mix is and then a short pass to see how it wants to lay down. If I cant get good results on the masking paper, I wont shoot the car because all I will manage is to get frustrated and angry as I go along. 

1 ... 38 39 40 41 42

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6YkXk7CuwbdGbXM1OO2mpkKJ3fisBU8crNL2UhVJfOZai8R8I0ALtKOjPPo2ofEB