noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/19 6:04 p.m.

That is bloody fantastic!

Ottawa
Ottawa GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/3/19 1:15 p.m.

I agree with Keith, 101s are AWESOME.

Especially Vampires, but any 101 will do.

I need a lot more pics and details. Where was it for sale, how much did you pay, etc.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/19 7:54 a.m.

Best way to bleed a Series Rover is a gravity bleed.

Keith Tanner
9/19/19 5:06 p.m.

I'm not sure it is all that much different than a Series Rover. They were designed near the end of the Series IIa and produced at the same time as the Series III. They apparently share a high degree of brake line convolution.

cdowd
cdowd Dork
9/19/19 5:27 p.m.

Pilotbraden showed me the way of hooking up a vacuum line to the bleeder and reving the engine. We used his rx7 to bleed my flat fender Willy’s when nothing else was working.

mikedd969
mikedd969 Reader
9/21/19 7:32 p.m.

This is now officially my new favorite thing on here!!  I love old British trucks!!! (Lorries laugh)

I have said for years that if I ever win the lottery, one of the first things I will do (after I buy a 288 GTO naturally) is find and import a Scammell Explorer.  Quite possibly the most awesomely cool truck ever made.

One of my go-to distractions is the Historic Military Vehicle Forum, so much cool stuff, mainly British, on there and some of the restorations....WOW!!    

I will be following this with great interest!!!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/2/19 4:48 p.m.

Is the release fork bent? Probably can't get it out without dropping the gearbox, but check it carefully, especially if the pressure plate looks normal.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/28/19 8:23 a.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Air can suck in from the slave or the master. I would replace both given the age of the truck.Or try o rebuild if the bores are honeable still. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/28/19 2:44 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Or you got a bad new part. As someone else on this board (curtis?) mentioned, a new part has never worked, and I have seen far too many bad new parts to trust anything.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/28/19 10:34 p.m.

This is great. Keep it up!

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/28/19 10:50 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Post a picture of the reservoir top. It may be familiar to me. Also I have found almost every bleeder screw will leak a little at the threads when loosened. I now go to the trouble to make a pressure fitting for everything I do. I use a Motive brand (garden sprayer) and never put fluid in the tool itself, I only use it to pressurize the car's reservoir. Yes it is a little annoying to keep filling, but putting fluid in a pressure vessel that you use as seldom as I do is begging for moisture contamination. Only takes 5 psi and I have used it on everything from a Gemini F. Jr.  to  my DD Volvo. Little integrated Girling master cylinders are the worst for small capacity.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
10/29/19 7:17 a.m.

That sure looks like an aluminium replacement for the large Girling remote reservoir. Plastic Girling cap is sometimes available and cheap when it is. Might be the same thread too. Are you sure that is a metric pitch? The brits never discard a machine tool!

Keith Tanner
10/29/19 1:53 p.m.

Maybe it's a Whitworth thread ;)

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
11/3/19 3:31 p.m.

Now, about the lights.....Remember the motto on Lucas' wall  "A good days work and home before dark"

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/7/19 7:25 a.m.

I would install a bike mount in the back somewhere, you know to carry a vintage cruiser.

akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/7/19 6:16 p.m.

My neighbor at the cabin has a Rock-on.  I spied it the first time up there he was impressed that I knew what it was.

Maybe just keep a nice old Schwinn in the back.

Keith Tanner
12/1/19 3:58 p.m.

I think relays are the secret to making Lucas components survive. That ignition switch, for example, may be carrying the complete electrical load of the vehicle. It does in some of the other Rovers of the period. Throw in a couple of relays to make sure the headlight and ignition loads are carried elsewhere and you're in a better place.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/5/19 1:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think relays are the secret to making Lucas components survive. That ignition switch, for example, may be carrying the complete electrical load of the vehicle. It does in some of the other Rovers of the period. Throw in a couple of relays to make sure the headlight and ignition loads are carried elsewhere and you're in a better place.

100% agree based on what I have seen. The most egregious example I saw (not firsthand) is some Lotus where the 12v went through the chrome plating on the plastic turn signal stalk.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
11/9/20 8:05 p.m.

Sorry if I missed this, it'll be the same shape as what's on there just new condition? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p8FtEP21xjvEzO6QyVnuhk2mDQTMVX5TKU5HU2NMsdTsDb7h6yZKiZ21LrRuWEbh