Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/20/21 1:40 a.m.

In reply to ClemSparks :

Nice work!

Project822
Project822 New Reader
9/20/21 12:13 p.m.
ClemSparks said:

I've wanted a Fairmont since I was in High School (that was in the early '90s). I had the opportunity to get this one earlier this year. I have a basic plan, but haven't started on it yet.

You and me both, brother...  We had a 1985 LTD wagon when I was in high school.  I learned to drive in the LTD and, to a lesser extent, our 1985 Astro.  I always thought that station wagons were cool, but I didn't realize at the time just how cool they really were.  Oh, to have another LTD or Fairmont...  Or the Datsun 210 wagon that we had before the LTD... Heck, even the 1976 Cougar that we had before the Datsun!

What do young drivers get to learn in now?  One of a sea of identical crossover SUVs in size small, medium, and large?  

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
2/12/22 8:27 p.m.

The wagon got a trailer ride to the exhaust shop this week. 

Other than that it's been sitting waiting for better weather.

It won't get driven for another couple months even if it were ready to drive.  

It is close to ready to drive thought.  Next items on the list are a battery hold down, a front alignment, and installing the new carpet I got last week.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
2/13/22 10:34 a.m.

I'll be the voice of (some) dissent here...too low and you ruin the aesthetic and the functionality of it as a wagon, and potentially goober up stuff like roll center. Maybe 1/2" lower than stock, just enough for it to seem like "intentional lowering" and not "sagging springs" would be perfect. Also, too low and you'll need air springs for the  rear when you put any kind of load in the way back. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
2/14/22 7:56 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:

Also, too low and you'll need air springs for the  rear when you put any kind of load in the way back. 

Although lowering it with air bags might not be a bad thing if it fits the budget. devil

Dirtydog (Forum Supporter)
Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/14/22 10:22 a.m.

Nice progress.  Indeed, weather puts a damper on a lot of things.  I like where this headed, keep up the good fight.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/8/22 8:24 p.m.
stuff was said:
said:

Also, too low and you'll need air springs for the  rear when you put any kind of load in the way back. 

Although lowering it with air bags might not be a bad thing if it fits the budget. devil

Airbags?  Phffft.  Riiight.

I managed to get some new carpet installed in the floor of the wagon.  That's one part of the interior that looks pretty spiffy.  Unfortunately it's not very easy to get good photos of new carpet while it's immobile in the shop.

and then...

Bam!  A little extra hole in the floor.

I ordered some new springs for the front to get it back to a more functional ride height.  The list is getting pretty short on this one.  5 weeks until it's pretty sure we won't be using road salt in this area!

Five weeks can seem like a lifetime, when your itching to do something.  Then again, it does go by like a flash when you need something to get done.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
3/9/22 7:06 p.m.

Yeah...it will come and go before this car is "ready" to drive, most likely.  But it's close enough I'm confident I'll get it out and enjoy it for the 2022 driving season!  

*driving season means when the weather is nice enough to drive cars that I want to try to keep from deteriorating so I don't drive them in the salt slop and mud.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
3/9/22 10:02 p.m.

Looking great! Keeping on knocking stuff out..

ClemSparks
ClemSparks UltimaDork
6/5/22 7:56 p.m.
5 years and 6 pages ago ClemSparks said:

The roof rack stays! I'll consider this project a failure if there is not a canoe strapped to it at some point during my ownership.

Well, we can check that one off the list:

1 ... 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mXQXyKFVStI9inVQtq8lgy5mioG399lYMntqxgAR9JqndAfQmZVqohBzTQDwn9OQ