1 2 3 4 ... 47
Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/13 6:43 p.m.

Itty-bitty update.... got a delivery today.

Real Racing 16x12 wide fives. About 12lbs each.

Gimp
1/21/13 6:44 p.m.

Just got back from a really good weekend working on the car. Progress looks slow from the outside, but we got a lot done.

Tires are mounted to the wheels, thanks to a buddy with a tire machine in his garage. We got them on the front (with the help of a 1/2" spacer) and in place on the rear. Still some modifications needed to make the fronts work with the steering gear, but it shouldn't be that bad.

We also got the rear fenders cut and the car sitting at ride height so we could start to lay out the front suspension. I still think it looks like a monster truck, but everyone else comments on how low it is.

We measured and got our lengths for the rear control arms. Mustang Boy is going to be working on clearing the floor for them and making brackets in the next few weeks.

A few measurement, for those interested: Rear frame to ground - 5.5" Front track width - 75.0" Rear track width - 78.5" Rear axle width (from back of wheel face to back of wheel face) - 64.0" Upper rear control arm - 24.5" Lower rear control arm - 36.75"

The rear control arms end up mounting just behind the front seats, about even with the drain hole in the floor. They will mount between the subframe connector and the lower door bar. Should be super strong!

Here are a few photos so you guys can see how it's coming along.

Mustang Boy in his white-trash lounge chair

Up on stands, playing with fitment

Then got it on the ground. Front is held up by the suspension, rear is still on blocks

Shot from the front to show how much width was added

And I got caught pretending... no seat installed, but I won't be much higher up

Gimp
1/21/13 6:45 p.m.

Believe it or not, this project still lives, despite life always trying to get in the way. My wife and I went up yesterday to do a little quick work.

From Santa:

8-3/4" to 9" tall, 12" for upper to lower ball joint spread, spindle pin location 3.5" up from the lower ball joint https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2a/viewproduct_group.asp?idgroup=2512051

And putting it all on. (Don't worry - I have a new, more complete core support)

Had to trim the fender to fit the new ride height.

Is this low enough?

Started some work on the rear, but I have to do some more trimming before I can mount the real rear wheels.

Gimp
1/21/13 6:45 p.m.

And that brings us up to date...

Five year countdown starts now?

Gimp
1/21/13 6:58 p.m.

One thing I did notice while working on the car yesterday, is that the rear still has a way to go to make ride height (frame rail will be about 3 inches off the ground).

In the following image, I have already cut the front of the leafs off (just in front of the tires) and set the car down as far as it would sit before the (now cut off) leaf hit part of the body:

The I compared the body line (mid-door, just about even with the top of the tire) to this old photo:

Hard to imagine it gets to go even lower!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/21/13 7:27 p.m.

Tell me about those willwood hubs. I can't quite figure out where the brakes go.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/21/13 7:31 p.m.

The rotors go on the backside, like this:

Car is looking good Paul. Maybe we might both make it to Nationals at the same time one year. Randy

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
1/21/13 7:41 p.m.

Well that's just the bees knees. There's so much racecar stuff out there that I don't know about. I'm pretty sure I love this car.

Gimp
1/21/13 7:55 p.m.
81cpcamaro wrote: Car is looking good Paul. Maybe we might both make it to Nationals at the same time one year. Randy

Many thanks. Walking through the CP grid at Nationals last year got my blood flowing. I can't wait to drive one.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
1/21/13 8:21 p.m.

Me likey. Nice fab skills.

Gimp
1/21/13 8:27 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote: Me likey. Nice fab skills.

Thanks! This has been a "learn as I go" so the fab skills haven't always been great, but they are getting better.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/21/13 8:31 p.m.

is that the dash out of my old stock car?

one day i'll have to clean my garage so i can build a motor or two.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
1/21/13 8:31 p.m.

Looking good man! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Gimp
1/21/13 8:42 p.m.
patgizz wrote: is that the dash out of my old stock car? one day i'll have to clean my garage so i can build a motor or two.

Not your car, but someones. I probably won't end up using it, but I couldn't turn down free metal.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/21/13 8:54 p.m.

meh. yeah it is the dash that i gave you. i recognize that goofy center section.

i need to get some fabrication time in, everyone else working on their stuff makes me sad.

Gimp
1/21/13 9:02 p.m.

Come to Cumberland (where the car lives now) and start working. Bring the family.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/13 9:13 p.m.

Berking wicked. I love this build!

slowcamaro
slowcamaro New Reader
1/21/13 9:26 p.m.

I see you are still, in fact, the man.

Rad_Capz
Rad_Capz Reader
1/21/13 9:54 p.m.

Nice build, will watch for updates.

fasted58
fasted58 UberDork
1/21/13 10:01 p.m.

Stout build, gonna track day it?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/21/13 11:23 p.m.

Those Camaros make good looking race cars. I'm saving my pennies for a set of those spindles for my Monte.

Gimp
1/22/13 7:19 a.m.
fasted58 wrote: Stout build, gonna track day it?

The car will, first and foremost, be an autocross car. I will probably hill climb it, but I'm not sure it will be geared well for the track.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/22/13 8:41 a.m.

I thought about doing hillclimbs with mine, but the cage requirements of the GCR made for a quite expensive cage. Plus I would have had to take it to an experienced welder, not sure my skills would pass the tech for hillclimbs/road course use. I may still do some time trials and hillclimbs but with a different car, leaving the Camaro just for autocross duty. Unless I get a wild idea and redo the cage in the Camaro. Time will tell.

Wally, keep an eye on ebay and racingjunk, I got my wide 5 spindles off ebay for $80, looked like new, hardly any sign of wear. Saved some $$$$, plus I got the part numbers so I can replace them if needed with new ones.

Gimp
1/22/13 10:00 a.m.

I should say that hill climbs are a strong "maybe" for this car. It's being built for autocross, and if it happens to be legal for other things when it's all said and done, than it's just gravy.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
1/22/13 10:23 a.m.

Very cool! I'll have to remember this thread when I do my Trans Am build later on in life.

1 2 3 4 ... 47

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fw8jfdrwXUgYwOsaDqDN52dokkelWOI4gx4YbiRVVCgfYhiHmxqeVDPFVoF3C3PY