1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 47
Gimp (Forum Supporter)
Gimp (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/14/21 8:24 a.m.
Gimp (Forum Supporter) said:

So it seems like I've got at least a coincidence, at least as far as showing up to two events with a broken car.  Three events would be a pattern. 

Well, I guess we've got a pattern now.

It was a great week, but unfortunately the highs didn't come without the lows.  Rebuilding for next season has already begun.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/15/21 8:21 a.m.

Already getting shipping notifications on a few parts.  Next year is right around the corner.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/15/21 9:20 a.m.

may be a picture of a CP winning Mustang with a big rear wing

sleepyhead scratches chin... huh, I didn't realize wings were legal in CP.  trundles over to the rules.  oh, huh...  double element wings are legal!?

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/15/21 10:15 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

The Lewis car, as far as I'm concerned, is legal to the CP rules.  The car is built to GCR rules and is therefore "in excess," which requires a 10% penalty.  He's not even at minimal weight.   The fact it's built to GCR rules is why he can do things like have a tube chassis, run a rear wing, and have a high HP 4cyl turbo.

Do I think things might change over the winter with letters to the SCCA?  Maybe.  Does it impact me?  No. I sucked and I need to get better.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/15/21 10:48 a.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

may be a picture of a CP winning Mustang with a big rear wing

sleepyhead scratches chin... huh, I didn't realize wings were legal in CP.  trundles over to the rules.  oh, huh...  double element wings are legal!?

I should've been more clear with my previous post. Wings are legal in prepared, except for C prepared. The class as a whole voted down that allowance. It's the "in excess" portion of the rules that allows him to do that.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/15/21 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

I was looking at 17.2.P.... and reading it back through, I realize in skimming it that 17.2.P.3 is only applicable to XP, DP, EP and FP.

nevermind, move along.... this is why I don't go trouncing around in the SCCA/Solo rules all that often

edit:   not to say this would be entirely possible... or desirable...

but, if you ever 'go wing'... there's some design ethos to lean into

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/17/21 11:35 a.m.

Here we go...

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/18/21 10:24 p.m.

Meanwhile...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/19/21 11:02 p.m.
sleepyhead the buffalo said:

In reply to Gimp (Forum Supporter) :

I was looking at 17.2.P.... and reading it back through, I realize in skimming it that 17.2.P.3 is only applicable to XP, DP, EP and FP.

nevermind, move along.... this is why I don't go trouncing around in the SCCA/Solo rules all that often

edit:   not to say this would be entirely possible... or desirable...

but, if you ever 'go wing'... there's some design ethos to lean into

My dad had some involvement with Hagan and stratigraph racing.  That was the 1982 LeMans car that Cale Yarborough drove.  

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
9/20/21 2:31 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

That's awesome.  I bet he has some good stories.

It may not have made all the runs, but at least the car still photographs well.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 10:48 a.m.

There is a video coming, but I did some work to get a new front swaybar on the car, and learned (again) that "bolt-ons" don't really apply for this car anymore.

I picked up a splined sway bar kit from Speedway Motors - https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Sway-Bar-Kits-1970-1981-GM-F-Body-Splined,350957.html
It's a nice piece, but I had to make some changes to make things work.

Here is the old bar (Detroit Speed) compared to the new.  The new bar looks thinner, but the tubing has a way thicker wall.

One of the main reasons for the change, other than being able to more easily change sway bar rates, was for some extra tire clearance (you can see the black Detroit Speed bar against the tire).

One of the BIG changes I had to make from the kit, at least how it's supposed to be installed, was to flip the sway bar arms upside down.  Installed the way Speedway intends probably works great on a more stock car, but they hit the frame on my car.  

Flipping them over got me the clearance to the frame I needed, but did put a slightly weird angle in the end links.  The good news is that even with that angle, they don't bind.

The other big thing I had to do was modify my steering arms.  They are big old chunks of aluminum, so I had no fears in carving them down.

The area I thinned out is still about 1.25" wide, so I'm not worried about strength at all.  These are big, beefy boys.

Here is the end link installed and things pretty much buttoned up.

The angle here looks worse than it really is.  The car can go through the entire range of travel (over 6 inches) and there is no bind.

So, was it worth it?  Well, here is the tire clearance now.

A full video with the install and a few other things related to suspension should be up by the end of the week.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/4/21 11:04 a.m.

Nice. You would think with as many of the F-body subframes that have been used in roundy-round that hitting the frame wouldn't happen.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 11:17 a.m.
81cpcamaro said:

Nice. You would think with as many of the F-body subframes that have been used in roundy-round that hitting the frame wouldn't happen.

The issue, I think, is with how low the car sits.  The bar just didn't have any up travel when the arms were how they wanted and with the end link lengths in the kit.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/4/21 11:23 a.m.

Looks like the bar might have been better on top of the subframe rails. But you don't need any more projects now, do ya?

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 11:26 a.m.

In reply to 81cpcamaro :

Trust me, I thought about it for a good long time.  Ron ran something similar to that, I believe.  It's in the long-term-ideas bin for sure.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
10/4/21 11:29 a.m.

Thus why our race/street/fun cars are money pits.  We can't leave well enough alone. cheeky

Right now I am having fun with 2 of my 3 vehicles down. Don't need this much fun now.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
10/4/21 12:04 p.m.

No kidding.  These arms are steel, so I may replace them with aluminum in the future and bend them so they work out a little better.

jh36
jh36 HalfDork
10/4/21 8:07 p.m.

It may not have made all the runs, but at least the car still photographs well.

That looks amazing!

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
11/10/21 8:22 a.m.

I still owe you all a video, but it's been a rough couple weeks (hug your dog).  In the meantime, I've been messing with hot glue.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
11/10/21 10:44 a.m.

I still owe you all a video, but it's been a rough couple weeks (hug your dog).  In the meantime, I've been messing with hot glue.

Oh....now you have my undivided attention. I need to do something along these lines.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
11/10/21 11:24 a.m.

I need to do this exact same thing in the near future on a challenge car. I will be watching closely.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
11/10/21 11:47 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I need to do this exact same thing in the near future on a challenge car. I will be watching closely.

DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Oh....now you have my undivided attention. I need to do something along these lines.

I may have a topic for a new video then...

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/10/21 12:08 p.m.

Just got caught up watching the video for nationals after the Pre-Challenge Thrash.   Sorry about your Nationals struggles.  Hope next year goes better.

1 other Aside, Next year if you go the same route through Illinois, You can stay at casa de Nocones on the way.  I'm right by Champaign, IL so 1.5 hours from Springfield.  It's a do-able day drive to Nationals from here.  One I *may* consider taking next year.  

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
11/10/21 12:09 p.m.
nocones said:

Just got caught up watching the video for nationals after the Pre-Challenge Thrash.   Sorry about your Nationals struggles.  Hope next year goes better.

1 other Aside, Next year if you go the same route through Illinois, You can stay at casa de Nocones on the way.  I'm right by Champaign, IL so 1.5 hours from Springfield.  It's a do-able day drive to Nationals from here.  One I *may* consider taking next year.  

Going to be hard to not take you up on that offer and then drag you the rest of the way there.

Gimp (Forum Supporter)
11/12/21 3:24 p.m.

Ready testing the algorithm with a Friday afternoon video. 

1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 47

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NNEMViOTce7i0YEBN8qTZ7mgltxUtZZDWVlx0eJVYolQVA6Un6QSTII5MJxArhQ3