1 ... 3 4 5
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
11/5/19 11:44 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

Damn nice OST.

Gotta ask- I know I gotta use Megasquirt or something similar to really get a 4A-GE to preform; any tips for using one? I've never worked with a standalone.

4AGE 16V is a very simple engine.  Any decent ECU, along with quality sensors should deliver what you want.

Well, it took about 20,000 miles to break the rear diff...   crush sleeve gave up the ghost, and lead to pinion failure

So, I bought a new 3.90.  Richmond Gear is no longer in biz... they were "absorbed" by Motive

more to come...... smiley

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/5/19 12:03 p.m.

Oh man, that's a cool little car!  I had an 82 2-door as my first car.  My bro and I loved it, though we each dinged it up a bit. 

It was a Cali car, and had some super-slow smog-carb on it.  Such a slow vehicle.  If I knew then what I know now, I'd have swapped in a different one.

My dad had an 83 4-door sedan at the same time, and it was way quicker than the 82.  And it had A/C.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
11/8/19 5:12 p.m.

After racing this one in the late 80's/early 90's -- 

I just got back from TX and returned with this one I bought on Bring-A-Trailer.  

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
11/8/19 6:14 p.m.
MichaelYount said:

SWEEEET....  my only issue with the pre 1980 Corolla models are they are a bit small for me...  (I'm 6'0, 240#s)

As you can see in this... I look large in the car....

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
11/8/19 7:20 p.m.

I'm 6'3", 180.  

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
2/25/20 8:03 p.m.

Another even year... another time dealing with, "the man"... getting the car through emissions testing...  and she went through... although not quite as clean as the last time 218 HC, but still under the 220ppm on HC.   Carbon monoxide was literally 0.0000

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
2/25/20 11:43 p.m.

High HC but low CO would indicate lean.  You could fatten it a bit and drop the HC but you may (or may not) pick up some CO.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/6/20 3:17 p.m.

I followed your link from the Mark II post, read through this in bits throughout the day as time permitted. The Corolla is awesome, and it's really great that you've kept the car and kept the thread going.

One observation, coming from a Floridian. I notice that the roads there go right and left, and up and down. Almost everything around here is flat, straight, and boring.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
9/29/20 9:32 a.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I followed your link from the Mark II post, read through this in bits throughout the day as time permitted. The Corolla is awesome, and it's really great that you've kept the car and kept the thread going.

One observation, coming from a Floridian. I notice that the roads there go right and left, and up and down. Almost everything around here is flat, straight, and boring.

concerning Florida... yeah... I'm a New Jersey transplant (once removed - also was a Pocono Pa resident)  in any case compared to out here... yeah, flat is a fair description.

Well it only took me 10 years to move 30 years into the future......  

When initially building Surreptitious, I had some mirror issues, (I would have liked the vintage Hellas's.... oh well) and somewhat settled on the GT mirrors

But we never did properly install them, only using sheet metal screws for mounting.... and that doesn't hold up over time, and miles....... (annoying to have to tighten my mirrors monthly)

Additionally... if you remember.... when I was building her I had purchased a rivnut tool to install the oil cooler brackets...

Hopefully tightening the mirrors will be a thing of the past...........   

More to come.....??

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
8/27/21 7:34 p.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

More to come.....??

Well... how about extremely lucky.....  

Back in May, I managed to dodge a bullet.....  one of my aeroquip oil cooler lines failed surprise and I was one quart shy of leaving the engine in a pile......  One of the lines that went though the radiator support split internally - no rubbing, or abrasions, the hose just split

New hose is the press lock type

Oh well... no harm done... got SUPER lucky.

More to come......   

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
10/18/21 5:14 p.m.

Well it is over 10 years now....  more things beginning to fail...

I was pulling into my driveway about a week ago, and I heard a small noise.... 

my clutch took a dump.....   

flywheel is good....

I'll be replacing the disc with a Illegal Garage clutch: organic on the flywheel side, kevlar on the pressure plate side, along with a heavy duty sprung hub.

More to come........

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps SuperDork
10/18/21 6:20 p.m.

love these cars :)

RacingGeek
RacingGeek New Reader
10/18/21 7:19 p.m.
MichaelYount said:

Mind sharing what you all did to the race car back in the day? I've got a 79 te51 that I'm starting to build and it seems like all these old Toyotas share common parts.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
10/21/21 8:53 a.m.
oldeskewltoy said:

Well it is over 10 years now....  more things beginning to fail...

my clutch took a dump.....   

I'll be replacing the disc with a Illegal Garage clutch: organic on the flywheel side, kevlar on the pressure plate side, along with a heavy duty sprung hub.

More to come........

and the new Illegal Garage disc..... (waiting for it to be shipped)

With luck I'll be up and running within the week..........

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
11/1/21 7:48 a.m.

Nothing like failed components as an excuse to upgrade.

I was vaguely aware of Illegal Garage clutches, but I had to look them up. They seem to be pretty well regarded in the 4AGE communities.  They are surprisingly difficult to find via search though.  I had to find the FB which has a link to a ebay account, but no clutches listed.  I'm guessing Max makes them to order? 

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
11/1/21 4:22 p.m.
Matt B (fs) said:

Nothing like failed components as an excuse to upgrade.

I was vaguely aware of Illegal Garage clutches, but I had to look them up. They seem to be pretty well regarded in the 4AGE communities.   I'm guessing Max makes them to order? 

Correct... and I got lucky as he had enough Kevlar to make it.   I don't think his regular turn around is 6 days... I think he did me a favor.

Crenshaw
Crenshaw New Reader
11/15/23 8:44 p.m.

Sorry to necro-bump this thread- is this project still going?  I'm putting together a standard AE71 sedan currently and probably have a few questions for you....

Cheers, and great car otherwise!

ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter)
ae86andkp61 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/23 11:39 p.m.

In reply to Crenshaw :

Still going. Last I heard from Oldeskewltoy, she's recently got new plugs and is temporarily awaiting a new set of injectors that are on order to keep her running smoothly into the future...

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UberDork
11/19/23 6:17 p.m.
Crenshaw said:

Sorry to necro-bump this thread- is this project still going?  I'm putting together a standard AE71 sedan currently and probably have a few questions for you....

Cheers, and great car otherwise!

I've had a nagging issue since summer, but with new injectors on the way I hope to have found the problem.... but she is approaching 14 years on the road, so I guess a few failures are to be expected

How can I help?

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LXVin5V8t9pBiAxCgkebOck0REoOBflryY3capyAPbIFZAzzVPbEycxQb1ig5vNH