1 2 3 ... 5
type85
type85 New Reader
3/29/13 12:42 p.m.

These posts were originally in "my garage" section:

I bought this back in November of 2011, any real work started in April of 2012

1984 4000 quattro semi built racecar, saved from destruction as Lemons racer… Looooong way to go on build; Cage needs “upgrading” 20v turbo transplant running on E85 planned, 034 EFI, same front end geometry/suspension mods planned as implemented on my coupe, similar treatment to the rear…. etc, etc….

type85
type85 New Reader
3/29/13 12:50 p.m.

April, 2012 cleaned and painted interior and cage, removed lame "LeMons" painted on numberz!!!.

type85
type85 New Reader
3/29/13 12:55 p.m.

Fabbed up some aluminum door skins and plexi rear windows, finished painting the interior......

type85
type85 New Reader
3/29/13 5:19 p.m.

Sept/Oct. Rear end shizz:

Pulled rear diff, subframe, axles cleaned/painted refreshed, added urethane sub mounts, hard rubber diff mounts, replaced u-joint on driveshaft, fixed rear diff lock actuator, it was jammed up against the trans tunnel!

2K4Kcsq
2K4Kcsq Reader
3/29/13 9:43 p.m.

very nice. Now you got me itching to get my subframes down and cleaned also good to see another 4k round here

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 11:35 a.m.

Tons more stuff Over the last 4 months (aug, sept, oct, nov): later style dash and center console, soon to be installed, larger later style master cyl and brake booster, urethane bushings for front subframe and a-arms.

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 11:42 a.m.

December: The search for 2 piece struts!

The search for 2 piece struts starts now! converting front and rear to 2 piece versions from a later gen “B3” 90quattro. Camber can be added at the knuckle by modifying the struts, this means I won’t have to tilt the top of the struts in causing too much “kingpin inclination”, too much inclination kills dynamic camber gain (that is produced from positive caster) when the wheels are turned into a corner…

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 12:11 p.m.

2 piece rear struts (christmas!)

Cleaned up, "90" 2 piece struts, replaced bearings, ball joints, cut off spring perch, converted to DIY coilovers, still need Koni race inserts (which cost a fortune!) addded 034 "track density" new upper mounts.

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 12:21 p.m.

Now (Dec. 31st.): 2 piece front struts

Pulled some B4 90 2piece struts I also got some CV’s in very good shape, you can tell from the boots and grease they have relatively few miles on them…. $55.00 for tha whole lot!! No rust, definitely a Cali car. Same deal as rear; diy coilovers, bearings, balljoints, cleaned and replaced tierod assembly.

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 12:27 p.m.

Mid Jan. Rebuilt rear calipers, decided to buy some cheapy rebuilds instead of trying to clean all the rust off and rebuild the orginal calipers, Rockauto has a ton of old Audi stuff on closeout (Bosch ing. wire set.. $20.00!!!), so I blew my wad and bought a TON of stuff!!!

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 12:35 p.m.

Still Jan!! "GOT CAMBER YO?!?!?!?" Camber mod for front AND rear struts! "ovaling out" the housing allows camber adj. at the knuckle instead of moving the lower ball joint out, this eliminates the increase in "kingpin inclination" when adding more negative camber:

Ooooooops!!!! Kinda over did it on the camber mod… I can get a max of -5.5° camber in the rear… WOW!!!!

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 1:10 p.m.

Wiring hell!! and sensor hook up!! Mid Feb.

Soo... I had to replace a bunch of OEM connectors because they were all broken, I had to replace the wires for the stater solenoid, I ran a bunch of new wire for water temp, oil temp, oil pressure and low pressure, I'm installing a big red light on the dash for that! I got a "T" so I can run both temp and low pressure off of the same port on the block.

Ran a ground strap to the block and another to the head.

Ran a hard plastic vacuum line for the boost/vacuum gauge and for the diff lock panel.

I also finished installing the new larger master cyl. and porp. valve, had to do lots of bending of the brake lines to make them fit.

cdowd
cdowd Reader
4/1/13 1:18 p.m.

You have made alot of progress. Keep up the good work.

Chris

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 1:18 p.m.

Feb. Pull the trigger on the "shifter of DEATH"!!

Mounted on metal spacers, no more rubber bushings, removed reverse lockout frame... will consider shortening the throw at a later date, bought 034 urethane bushing for linkage on trans...

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 1:19 p.m.

March: Finally got the rocker panels and airdam on

Had this stuff for a while... procrastinating from working on the wiring!!!

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 1:21 p.m.

Studs and spline drive nuts

Finally got some studs and spline drive nuts installed:

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 1:26 p.m.

Forgot about "gauge 'O rama"!!!! from Feb! Bought a bunch of VDO "marine" gauges, tested for accuracy by dropping the sender in boiling water"

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 4:40 p.m.

March madness!! Ultra custom full race aluminum brackets for my adjustable drop links

Got the front drop links together with my super custom brackets, 26mm bar is cleaned and painted!

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 4:43 p.m.

March madness!! Energy suspension swaybar bushings, moar werk on the brackets and mounts.

Front brackets bolt right in (for 22mm bar), had to put a plate behind it to cover the depression in the subframe for the stock bushing. Yeah..... some of the drop link brackets are too soft, have to replace with steel.

Rear bushings are 26mm, might drill a second hole in the mount to fit the aftermarket brackets instead of using the "clipon" OEM bracket.

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 4:46 p.m.

Moar March madness!!

Got's the turbo setup and moved the alternator to the passenger side, less obstruction in front of the radiator:

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 4:48 p.m.

Rewind: late Feb. Can't fogret about the "G60's"!! Stopgap until I get some forged Dynalite Wilwoods!!

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 4:56 p.m.

Late March... damn!! I'm tired! Going back to the wiring, completed the center console, needs to be installed with the dash. Some wiring issues: tach doesn't work, nor does any lights, brake, reverse or parking, wipers work! engine runs and new sensors don't leak, that's good!! I'm going to have to spend a couple of weeks inside the car getting it together!!

type85
type85 New Reader
4/1/13 5:02 p.m.

WHAT?!?!?!? You think I only have "one child" to take care of????? Meet the original "black hole 'O personal life"!!!!!

Now I have twins, both 84's, both silver, but 4000 is 4WD the coupe is FWD...

type85
type85 New Reader
4/15/13 4:51 p.m.

Got a 7A 20V pulled and in the back of the van... took 3 guys and 7 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I gotta figure out how to get it outta the van and in my garage!!

The_Jed
The_Jed Dork
4/15/13 8:55 p.m.

That's a lot of gauges!

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aDUoEZCsaxCADappBtRhqYaKVQnrv71leCklFDMNfYtPexKCaP3MvVBByTiwZ5LB